VPRPWRD's weight reduction thread

VPRPWRD

VTCoA Ring Leader
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread to keep everyone updated on what weight I am removing from my truck and what results have been achieved from this weight removal. Before any weight was taken out my truck went 13.57 @ 103.72mph.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_stVllywn9g&feature=plcp]2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 1/4 mile drag racing - YouTube[/ame]

I will post updated videos and pics of parts I have already removed and parts that will be removed and what time was picked up.

Cool thread. What are you going to remove first? Also, what was the starting weight of the truck?

Start with the front sway bar. Let us know the 60' improvement.

Cool thread. What are you going to remove first? Also, what was the starting weight of the truck?

I am unsure of the starting weight, can't seem to find a scale around here.

Start with the front sway bar. Let us know the 60' improvement.

I have already removed the front sway bar and have those results. I did a 2.000 60 ft. on the street tires prior to front sway bar removal. I have only run the truck 3 times after front bar removal and had all 3 runs with a 1.9x 60 ft. time with my best being a 1.959.

I have already removed the front sway bar and have those results. I did a 2.000 60 ft. on the street tires prior to front sway bar removal. I have only run the truck 3 times after front bar removal and had all 3 runs with a 1.9x 60 ft. time with my best being a 1.959.

Ok thanks. That's right about where my street tire 60' times were at. What are your current performance mods?

drop in K&N, SCT and a B&M short throw.

I weighed mine at the local steel yard.

I am going to weight the truck currently and weigh each part individually that has already been removed to determine my starting weight.

I am going to weight the truck currently and weigh each part individually that has already been removed to determine my starting weight.

When you get your shop you should get a scale... and a dyno... and an in house 1/8th mile strip :D

When you get your shop you should get a scale... and a dyno... and an in house 1/8th mile strip :D

All very good ideas, especially the dyno!!

Have you modified your exhaust in any way? If not a 13.09 is really good!

I removed the muffler and tail pipe which was the first modification I made.

As stated in the previous post, my first weight removal was the muffler and tail pipe. I also removed the rear hanger because of it's ability to be unbolted and bolted back on if wanted. I plan on doing a side exit exhaust which is why this will not be needed. The muffler, tailpipe, hanger and all hardware tipped the scales at 58.5 lbs.

SRT10 weight reduction :: 001_zps9a18d0b3.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 002_zps4a375728.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

I removed the exhaust at the same time I got my SCT and put the tune in the truck. The result was a 13.44 @ 101.87mph

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaaq_5-izw&feature=plcp]2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 vs. 2012 Ford Mustang GT convertible 1/4 mile drag racing, 7/28/12 #4 - YouTube[/ame]

While gaining .13 in e/t I lost nearly 2 mph, not sure how that happened. More to come on my truck's diet...

While gaining .13 in e/t I lost nearly 2 mph, not sure how that happened. More to come on my truck's diet...

Same thing happened to me. Is your tune a "Drop In" ?!? If so, it's safe rich. Install an AEM A/F gauge to confirm. Mine was 10.9:1 at 5,500. The engine is falling over rich (soft power) at high RPM's. Gear for gear, you are loosing speed.

Get a DYNO tune or work with Torrie after you ionstall the AEM.

Cheers!

BTW....GREAT THREAD!

Same thing happened to me. Is your tune a "Drop In" ?!? If so, it's safe rich. Install an AEM A/F gauge to confirm. Mine was 10.9:1 at 5,500. The engine is falling over rich (soft power) at high RPM's. Gear for gear, you are loosing speed.

Get a DYNO tune or work with Torrie after you ionstall the AEM.

Cheers!

BTW....GREAT THREAD!

It is just a "canned tune". I will eventually get a dyno tuning session done when I have more parts installed. Thanks!

Making progress.....

Next step in weight reduction netted much better results. I started with spare tire which weighs in at a whopping 81lbs. I also removed the jack and tools at this time since I have no use for them without the spare tire. They weighed in at 9.0 lbs.

SRT10 weight reduction :: 003_zps260e7597.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 007_zps186d6542.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 007_zps186d6542.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

The next piece I removed was advice given to me by ARRESTmeRed04, which was front sway bar removal. The front sway bar, bushings and links weighed in at a combined 25.5lbs and also helped shave approximately .05 off my 60ft. time.

The last pieces I removed in this segment were the spare battery tray, which came in at 3 lbs. and the underhood liner along with the wiper cowl liner. The liners along with the hardware from all the other parts removed came in at 4.5 lbs. Very minor losses here but I am hoping all the little gains will add up to something big.

SRT10 weight reduction :: 005_zps4ead9068.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 006_zps795ceeeb.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 006_zps795ceeeb.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 016_zpsa5455a73.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: ebay004_zps2cc4e42f.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

On the performance end I added a B&M short throw shifter and a drop in K&N air filter. I also used a few new shifting techniques, such as putting the center console up and short shifting into 4th gear at 5800rpm instead of running third out to 6000rpm. All of this together got me to my current personal best of 13.09 @ 105.03mph.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMCrlyVRij4&feature=plcp]2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 1/4 mile drag racing - YouTube[/ame]

I also used a few new shifting techniques, such as short shifting into 4th gear at 5800rpm instead of running third out to 6000rpm.

Great post!

FYI, I backed my shift points down to 5400 and didn't lose any time.

I have one more segment to this thread that has already been done. I haven't made it back to the track to see what it runs with the further weight removed. Did you go to 5400 in all gears or just your 3 - 4 shift?

I have one more segment to this thread that has already been done. I haven't made it back to the track to see what it runs with the further weight removed. Did you go to 5400 in all gears or just your 3 - 4 shift?

5400 in all gears. A lot of other guys are shifting in the 5200-5600 range with similar results.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back