VPRPWRD's weight reduction thread

I have a couple things I did that I will post up weights, but no new times to back it up.

This brings me up to date on all of the current weight reduction. There will be more. I just have to find time to do it. Ok, here we go....

For this posting I started by removing the sub. It weighed in at 14.5lbs.

SRT10 weight reduction :: 011_zpsb7167b84.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 011_zpsb7167b84.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

I also removed the brake cooling ducts, brackets, splash shield, a plastic piece in front of the condenser (not sure why that was there but it's gone now) and a metal piece that ran across the front of the metal bumper. These parts came in at a total of 21 lbs. I thought for sure they were more.

SRT10 weight reduction :: ebay001_zpsa2bc0ca8.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: ebay001_zpsa2bc0ca8.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 013_zpsd1ec6c50.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

SRT10 weight reduction :: 014_zpsb7504c63.jpg picture by VPRPWRD - Photobucket

I don't have any timeslips to back up this further weight reduction. I plan on losing some more weight and adding some power before the next trip to the track.

Last edited:
I can fully appreciate the effort in the weight reduction exercise. However, the minimal loss in weight by removing aerodynamic components will hurt your trap speeds and them some.

The large under chin (just behind splitter) plastic tray is HUGE! You want the air that is split at the lower edge of the bumper to flow as smooth as possible under the vehicle. Now you will encounter dirty eddie currents that will increase drag.

I would also recommend reinstalling any air management parts like the brake cooling ducts. Unless you plan on completely blocking off the holes left by removing them. The goal is to MINIMIZE airflow through the front of the truck. Any wasted air through the bumper or grill will slow you down with eddie currents and "Parachute effect".

Find the pictures of Trainmans front end. He is very smart about using additional lightweight plexiglass to block off any additional airflow through his front end. The aero advantage in the quarter and beyond is more beneficial than the weightloss.

Cheers and GLW project!!:rock:

What are the next weight reduction mods?

The leak detection system, tailshaft damper on trans. and I would like to fab up some front and rear fascia mounts to remove the metal bumpers. If anyone has any other ideas for me I'm all ears. :D

Here is a link. The first page has the images I mentioned above...

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f11/new-personal-best-famoso-11-5-2011-a-50812/

Once the weight is moving above 40 M.P.H. Aerodynamics start to become more of a factor. Once your speed has doubled to 80 M.P.H. Your aero load has cubed! These trucks have really great and sneaky little add-on's from the Dodge NASCAR team that help this brick move trough the air.

Last edited:
I can fully appreciate the effort in the weight reduction exercise. However, the minimal loss in weight by removing aerodynamic components will hurt your trap speeds and them some.

The large under chin (just behind splitter) plastic tray is HUGE! You want the air that is split at the lower edge of the bumper to flow as smooth as possible under the vehicle. Now you will encounter dirty eddie currents that will increase drag.

I would also recommend reinstalling any air management parts like the brake cooling ducts. Unless you plan on completely blocking off the holes left by removing them. The goal is to MINIMIZE airflow through the front of the truck. Any wasted air through the bumper or grill will slow you down with eddie currents and "Parachute effect".

Find the pictures of Trainmans front end. He is very smart about using additional lightweight plexiglass to block off any additional airflow through his front end. The aero advantage in the quarter and beyond is more beneficial than the weightloss.

I appreciate any input from people that have more experience in this than I do. I do agree that aerodynamics are a huge part as well as light weight. Hopefully Trainman chimes in and points me in the right direction. Thank you for the suggestions. :D

Here is a link. The first page has the images I mentioned above...

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f11/new-personal-best-famoso-11-5-2011-a-50812/

Once the weight is moving above 40 M.P.H. Aerodynamics start to become more of a factor. Once your speed has doubled to 80 M.P.H. Your aero load has cubed! These trucks have really great and sneaky little add-on's from the Dodge NASCAR team that help this brick move trough the air.

I see exactly what you mean in those pictures. Now you added another project to my list. The modifying never ends.

Rock on Brother!!:rock:

My goal is to make ANY mod that is effective without disturbing to overall stock look of the truck. If so, I want it reversable.

Your project is interesting to me.....

Rock on Brother!!:rock:

My goal is to make ANY mod that is effective without disturbing to overall stock look of the truck. If so, I want it reversable.

Your project is interesting to me.....

I appreciate any interest. My goal is to have everything reversable also. I will NOT do any cutting or perform any modifications that can't be changed back to make the truck completely stock. I will keep going and as I said before I'm open to suggestions if I overlooked anything.

I'm a little surprised you removed the sub. Not much of a music listener?

I am in my daily drivers, but I'd rather listen to the exhaust when I drive the truck. If I decide to put it back in it's a quick under 5 minute reinstall. :rock:

I am in my daily drivers, but I'd rather listen to the exhaust when I drive the truck. If I decide to put it back in it's a quick under 5 minute reinstall. :rock:

Makes sense. I didn't realize the '10 wasn't your daily.

Makes sense. I didn't realize the '10 wasn't your daily.

I put a whopping 2700 miles on it since January, getting ready to put it away for the winter in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.:rock: I was at about 110+ mph when Lyle from DC Performance pointed out that I was getting to speeds were aerodynamics will become important. It was his suggestion that I cover the fog lights with the clear plexiglass cover. I was instantly in the 112-113 mph range.
After some more small improvements, lightweight doors, etc....I was in the 115+ mph range. I talked with a race car designer (he built my true dual equal-length x-pipe exhaust), and I asked him about cutting holes in the lower chin spoiler (the part that is indented)...so as to let more air pass through. He said ABSOLUTLY NOT....he said I would create the "dirty air" mentioned above. He said if I really wanted to clean up the air....then block the grill. I worked with my body man to come up with the plexiglass cover you see in the pictures. I wanted "clear" so you could see the grill. I wanted it to be removable, so I could install it at the strip. I do not drive on the highway with the grill blocked for obvious reasons. He found those finger tight screw holders you see in the grill, then cut the lexan to fit my grill, with an air hole for my ram air intake(behind the grill, rams into the Volant box). So when I'm in the staging lanes it takes about 1-2 minutes to install the grill blocker.......and Voila!...I was in the 117-118 mph range!:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back