Weight Reduction (List)

Roz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from the obvious, what are some of you guys doing to put this thing on a diet. The obvious being tailgate, spare, tonneau and passenger seat etc. Personally, I'm "torn" when it comes to weight reduction. I want to run the same at the track as I would any given day of the week. I wouldn't mine ditching the spare, but I'm not real partial to removing the passenger seat/console.

I'll start a list, and would some of you gurus add a weight figure to it. Please feel free to add to the list as well. I think this will be a nice resource to refer if anyone ever wanted to shed some weight for a trip to the track!

Spare
Tailgate
Tonneau
Passenger Seat
Console
Jack

Stinker's Detroit Locker Rear End (Saves about 100 lbs)

It is stronger (gears and axle) has smaller brake rotors and calipers.

This is one of the real great mods in my opinion less weight, locker, stronger in lots of ways, and allows for 15 inch slicks if desired due to much smaller calipers.

Weight distribution is another aspect of this topic. Moving the battery from the engine compartment to the rear passenger side wheel well is a significant advantage. JMB has the kit!

Good call Roy. That's another reason I have't been fond of removing the tailgate, spare and tonneau. It's nice weight over the rear tires . . .

Roz-SRT said:
Spare
Tailgate
Tonneau
Passenger Seat
Console
Jack

By "Jack" do you mean "FatJack"?....big weight savings!!:D

...another weight savings is to have little fuel in the tank as possible..I usually like it at about 1/4 tank...cant remember exactly but I believe fuel weighs about 6LBs per gallon...20 gallons less in the tank will save roughly 120LBs..

Include "Ho's". Especially the big ones.

The subwoofer comes out real easy. Just 2 screws and unplug it. Might save 25 lbs or so.

Carbon fiber doors.

Carbon fiber body panels.

Carbon fiber bed.

Carbon fiber hood. "Stinker"

These parts would not be that hard to replace.

Would cost alot. I'm guessin several thousand.

However, if you think about it with major carbon fiber body panels performance gains could be near what a 7000 dollar power adder has to offer.

Not to mention what it would be like with power adders.

I think several hundred pounds could be saved. Maybe a thousand.

Hell "Stinker" got that hood made. Why not body panels and a bed or bed cover.

If a thousand lbs could be droped off of these trucks, maybe forgin the motors would not be as important on lower hp builds?

Imagine a 4500lb Ram SRT 10 with 500hp. High 11 second low 12 second 1/4?

Imagine a 4500lb Ram SRT 10 with 700+hp. High 10 sec. low 11 sec. 1/4?

1000+hp?-----Mid 9s???????????

Think about it.

Last edited:
Stinker said:
if someone could make a fiberglass hood that would be a good start:dontknow:

Or mail out braid power steering lines...

from what i can remimber a stock hood weighs around 60-65 lbs and my carbon one weighs around 35. so thats 25-30 lbs right there and i could only imagine what fenders and doors would save you.

BigRed460 said:
Offical Weight Reduction Thread

Sorry but the hemi guys kick our ass in weight reduction...

. . . Gotta register to view the thread.

Has anyone removed the rebar in the front/rear bumper(s)? The only thing there is you'd HAVE to be extra careful driving on the street.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back