Who all has a electric fan setup?

The problem is simple. The OE pump was designed to run a rack, and a hydraulic fan motor. The bypass for both of those items is sufficient to return the full flow of the pump, even when both are fully inactive. [ie; fan at lowest speed and steering wheel not being turned]. When you remove the bypass/loaded flow rate of the hydraulic fan motor, the rack is struggling to bypass the extra volume of fluid being pumped. The pressure is increasing, the pump is working harder, and the pressure relief valve is bypassing when it should not need to be. The solution is simple... stop using the OE power steering pump, and use one designed for a rack only. And yes, there is a bolt-on solution. I also wouldnt doubt if you pick up a few horsepower from the change. Your system is wasting a lot of twist pumping that fluid through a relief valve.
I'm gonna assume a ram 1500 ps pump? Then again u know what they say about assuming. :D

Id like to know about the rack only pump too when I go to the JTSVP dual fan setup.

Guys, guys, guys...

I can understand bmxam962's reason for switching to electric due to needing additional room... but do you guys understand that you are replacing a superior system with an inferior one when switching over to an electric fan setup? If you do not have a VERY good reason to be switching, you should not even be considering this! That hydraulic fan motor is on the order of MULTIPLE horsepower. Think about how big of an electric motor you would need to match that!

Not to mention, an electric fan will require extra wiring, relays, tax on the electrical system, more failure points, etc... and in the end, is still inferior for its primary function. You know... cooling.

Last edited:
Underdrive pulley for you NA/Turbo guys. Bigger PS pulley should work for SC guys. If ya can find one. It may not be enough to quieter it though as its still designed to flow and have higher pressure

Speaking of electric mods, I just installed an electric supercharger I got on Ebay.com for less than 50 bucks, INSTANTLY added 845 hp and 900 ft-lbs of torque. Universal application too, works on Hondas too, especially their lawnmowers.

I know, we all need it...............fun that is.....

Curious Dan, why would Chrysler ditch the vastly superior hydraulic fan for the electric fan on the Gen 4 vipers?

The JMB kit uses an OEM mopar fan from a viper application (with half the radiator of an SRT10 ram no less), I've gotten many comments from happy customers that their trucks now run cooler than ever before, and now they have manual control over the fan for applications that want to cool off while the vehicle is not running. Its also much smaller in physical size (providing blower pulley clearance in some applications) and weighs noticeably less. If its not your thing, no problem, many viper truck owners are happy with their purchase and happy to get the bulky, heavy, leaking line oem fan setup off of their truck. I have no doubts that the oem fan setup is plenty capable, its just not for everyone, just like my fan kit is not for everyone.

I believe, however I would need to check, that a Gen 4 viper pump assembly would work correctly on a viper truck application that is no longer using the oem fan. I personally have never had an issue (neither have many other owners) with quite a few of my setups on trucks we have had here, but Charlie appears to be having a noise issue, and I am working with him to resolve it.

Justin

I don't blame Justin's fan kit in the least bit. This is why I asked about electric fans in general and not specifically about his as I know of others that have installed with no issues. He has contacted me several times. We have talked and are trying to figure out a solution. Thanks for all the help and input you guys are giving.

i have a jmb electric fan, in the past year i replaced about 9 relay fuzes because they keep blowing out and causes my engine to overheat. i cleaned up the connections and still having the same problem.

What size fuse? The fan draws about 45amp on start up. Are you sure the fan motor isn't going bad?

i have a jmb electric fan, in the past year i replaced about 9 relay fuzes because they keep blowing out and causes my engine to overheat. i cleaned up the connections and still having the same problem.

Either fuse is too small or wiring is too small for the load (amp draw) of the fans. Maybe use a larger power wire and see if that don't help ya :burnout:

Curious Dan, why would Chrysler ditch the vastly superior hydraulic fan for the electric fan on the Gen 4 vipers?

Justin

Justin,

The answer should be obvious. COST. A hydraulic fan motor and hydraulic lines are considerably more expensive than an electric fan motor, a few relays and some wiring. It is no coincidence that Gen-4 Vipers' have a much harder time keeping cool than Gen-3 cars. Chrysler eliminated Hydraulic systems across the board around that time, and cheapened everything up. The Viper just went along for the ride, and the low production nature of the car is not sufficient to continue manufacturing of that type of component at a remotely reasonable cost.

To each their own, but as someone who truly understand the capabilities of a hydraulic system... deleting it is fruitless. An electric fan has two speeds. A hydraulic fan has infinite speeds and versatility provided you have SCT software.

If anyone wants a side by side comparison... try this. Park a Ram SRT with an Hydraulic fan next to one with an Electric... both warm of course. Now, wait for the electric to cycle on High Speed. Right when it does, unplug the coolant temp sensor on the hydraulic truck. Now wait about 3 seconds. The system will put itself into Safety Mode and ramp the fan to maximum. Now, you will see what that system is capable of. Yes, it will set a code, so have a scan tool handy. Oh... and by the way, that maximum setting is still only really 70% duty cycle! They keep the duty low enough to not interfere with Steering functions at idle speeds. If you really needed the cooling at all costs, there is another 30% available.

Losing cooling capability for 5-10 lbs on a 5000+lb truck? I just don't see it. I understand what you are trying to do, and I get that. Its a good product for someone who truly needs it for things like space constraints, drag app where every pound counts and cooling isn't as important, etc... but this is not something people should be doing on a whim.

-Dan

Last edited:
This is all great information, thanks. I've heard the fan at high speed, moves a hell of a lot of air.....

Does anyone have the JTSVP dual electric fan setup? Id really like to see it installed, and some of your thoughts on how it operates.

Does anyone have the JTSVP dual electric fan setup? Id really like to see it installed, and some of your thoughts on how it operates.

If you go to JMB's vendor section, he has a thread of installed efans. I only had mine for a few months before the truck hit by a drunk driver so I can't speak on the long-term. For those few months though, it worked great at keeping temps down with in-town driving in Jul and Aug. When it kicked on, you could open the hood and you could feel all the air blowing around. As previously mentioned, removing the OEM fan makes the steering feel very overpowered. Performance and appearance wise, it was fantastic. It seemed like my RPMs would hang just a split second longer when I pushed the cluctch in but that may have just been my imagination.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back