Why Are the 2006 Trucks Down On Power?

thanks Ronnie

Hi
I use conventional equipment for degreeing the cams in the Gen IIIs. If you are pulling the heads (recommended) you can determine T.D.C. accurately and safely plus you will benefit from a 0.4 increase in compression using the replacement head gaskets. You can also check for any preignition cracks your piston crowns may have (hopefully not) or any other abnormalities.
The O.E.M. Gen III chain set is decent. Changes can be made with offset keys, if required.

Ronnie

Thanks, i didn't know if it was offset keys or multi keyway crank sprocket. I'll pull the heads when I get your cam. about the head gaskets i'm thinking you are referring to the thinner affordable gen 4 head gaskets?

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with the '06 low power question. While I'm waiting on my pcm I'll save up some $ for a cam. Rottenronnie can you tell me about the timing set that you use for degreeing a gen3 engine. I degree cams all the time at my shop but never done a viper engine. I know Cloyes offers a Hex a Just set for the gen 1 and 2 engines but I don't see anything in my catalogs for a gen 3. thanks mark

I do believe that YellowFever#154 and my build both have double roller Cloyes timing gear sets in our trucks when we had our engines built.

Thank you Yellow venom. Man if I'm going to go as far as put in a cam and pull the heads I might as well pull the engine and put in some forged pistonies while I'm at it. Yea I think I will.

Thanks, i didn't know if it was offset keys or multi keyway crank sprocket. I'll pull the heads when I get your cam. about the head gaskets i'm thinking you are referring to the thinner affordable gen 4 head gaskets?

Yes, the original (thick) black gaskets are obsolete. You can use the Chev-style keyways if you need to.

The question of 06's being down on power due to an other tune is interesting.
Here in Eu a lot of us trucks (also SRT) run on LPG conversion. There have been some cases where the cat's of an srt10 melted even when not on LPG. Due to this melting down the engine suffocates and dies. the cost to repair is tremendous. It seems to happen mostly to '06 models.
Since mine is also an '06 QC i'm constantly worried.
Today i took a look at the mileage on the high way and it's 13.2 MPG at a constant speed of 84 MPH over a 75 mile drive. I already changed the cat's for high flow's and have a tune made by Torrie. Nevertheless it seems a high mileage to me.
If someone can figure out if any leaner-making changes where made to the '06 models i would very much like to know. Thanks for sharing

06 power

FYI,

Just picked up a tuner from Torrie(no dyno). On my way home did some 0-60 passes on a clean strech of concrete and ran a best of 5.6 with a little tire spin. I made several passes at it and that was the best I could do. Then went down the street to a park and found a shade tree to park under and installed the new tune. Once it was installed I went back to the same place I had done the earlier passes. First one was a 5.09 then a 5.1. after that I could not get the tires to hook up and the times got worse. I think it is safe to say it liked the tune. A good 1/2 second off the 0-60 is bad a$$!! And that was the 91 oct tune......I have an app on my phone called "Torque". It has a bluethooth transmeter the plugs into the OBD port. It pulls information strait from the processor and displays it on my phone. Pretty cool...

Torrie is the man!!!:rock:

Last edited:
Are you thinking it may be that its after January they made the change Jeff?

I'll post the results from my tune Friday night....it may be the 06 trucks built in 05 had 05 motors and the ones made after January were "reterded"
"E-motors"....mmmmm:dontknow:

My build date is 1/18/06 and my truck seems to run just as strong as the 04 my buddy had. Unfortunately he went thru some hard times and his truck got repossessed before we ever raced. I am making a point to go get my truck dynoed, although I do have a 93 tune in it by Torrie.

cool, the more info the better to help narrow down if it is a build date issue. Good luck with the dyno!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back