Why Are the 2006 Trucks Down On Power?

Thanks! :)

Yes, some of the 2006 engines had cams installed on a 121 or a 122 (or worse) which IS retarded, or "late".

Some of the Gen III truck engines (and maybe the cars) also suffered from an "unadvertised" drop in compression, which doesn't help power production either. It looks to me like they DID have problems meeting emissions with the Gen IIIs as both of these tactics definitely help reduce them.

My friends at Dodge couldn't find anyone interested in checking into whether the late camshaft installs were done intentionally or not. Understandable, as the Gen IIIs have been out of production for years now.

Conspiracies aside, some of the 2006 engines suffered from late camshaft installations; so the timing or peak lift of the Intake in relation to piston T.D.C. was off a.k.a. as Intake Centerline.

So, if a cam has a L.S.A. (Lobe Separation Angle) of say, 110 degrees and it is installed at or "on a 114", it is installed 4 degrees retarded, for example.

P.S. Performance cams are sometimes intentionally installed advanced or retarded depending on the builder, application and various other factors, but going too far either way will start to impact engine efficiency and/or power production.

Ronnie

Last edited:
I dyno'd my 06 last month. The only "weird thing I see is a slight dip around 3300 RPM. Is that normal for a stock tune?

Dyno1.jpg

I am getting a tune from Torrie Friday for my 06, so i'll find out if it is retarded or not then although it did like the K&N cold air intake. It is build #421. I had a gray 06 in 2010 and it didn't respond to tuning very well, not like my 05 CE. I'll have to find the vin on the first 06 and get with Jeff to see what its build number is. Myabe it was a mid or late build change....or maybe its just the gray trucks...hehehe

My 06 did not respond to any tunes or mods (headers etc.). Ronnie found the cam retarded. I only pulled 387rwhp. Another 06 that came down for a dyno day pulled 389rwhp, before a 150 shot.

I know your build date, any idea what the other build date was

This the truck:

1864-img-1581.jpg

Not sure if this is the vin:

1865-img-1582.jpg

It could belong to this truck (it was next in my sequence of photo's):

1866-img-1584.jpg

Little over 400 VIN's and 3 Month between the two.....

hmmmmm

I saw this truck for sale a few years ago in Red Deer, whose is it now Burt?

I saw it on a lot in Lethbridge, when I went to check out a SC QC for Snakes708 last year. I'm not sure of it's status now.

Little over 400 VIN's and 3 Month between the two.....

hmmmmm

Are you thinking it may be that its after January they made the change Jeff?

I'll post the results from my tune Friday night....it may be the 06 trucks built in 05 had 05 motors and the ones made after January were "reterded"
"E-motors"....mmmmm:dontknow:

I dyno'd my 06 last month. The only "weird thing I see is a slight dip around 3300 RPM. Is that normal for a stock tune?

Dyno1.jpg

Your problem is your air/fuel is in the 11,s and almost hitting the high 10,s ,,you need that air/fuel to be 12.5 or so on WOT

There was ,also,BLWNSRT(ramchargerguy). His truck was down on power. There was no heat under the hood after a run. He installed a Roe and barely put down 500hp !! He has done a big build since but , Jeff, if you could lookup his VIN for comparison?

mine doesnt seem bad! i can easily get up to 140 just keeps rising at a consistant speed... course i havent driven a stock 06 either:(

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with the '06 low power question. While I'm waiting on my pcm I'll save up some $ for a cam. Rottenronnie can you tell me about the timing set that you use for degreeing a gen3 engine. I degree cams all the time at my shop but never done a viper engine. I know Cloyes offers a Hex a Just set for the gen 1 and 2 engines but I don't see anything in my catalogs for a gen 3. thanks mark

I'd like to thank everyone for helping me with the '06 low power question. While I'm waiting on my pcm I'll save up some $ for a cam. Rottenronnie can you tell me about the timing set that you use for degreeing a gen3 engine. I degree cams all the time at my shop but never done a viper engine. I know Cloyes offers a Hex a Just set for the gen 1 and 2 engines but I don't see anything in my catalogs for a gen 3. thanks mark

Hi
I use conventional equipment for degreeing the cams in the Gen IIIs. If you are pulling the heads (recommended) you can determine T.D.C. accurately and safely plus you will benefit from a 0.4 increase in compression using the replacement head gaskets. You can also check for any preignition cracks your piston crowns may have (hopefully not) or any other abnormalities.
The O.E.M. Gen III chain set is decent. Changes can be made with offset keys, if required.

Ronnie

So with much of this leading towards emissions, does anybody know if emission laws changed for 06? Seems to me that the same motor was used for all 3 years but the tuning/timing was simply changed. If we see that emission laws were made a little more strict on a date that lines up with the issue, it might be one more "nail in the coffin" with this issue.

Back