Will I be the 5th or 6th?

Details on this I'm very interested my wife complains about how she can't get the truck in reverse and I know that's a good way to keep her out of it but when I go to dr app. for my back she has to drive me home lol

Details on this I'm very interested my wife complains about how she can't get the truck in reverse and I know that's a good way to keep her out of it but when I go to dr app. for my back she has to drive me home lol

Take her car.

Ok so I am unfamiliar with U joints or how to replace/remove them. The axle ive got has one of the U joints on the end. How the hell do I attach it to the transmission? It will probably make sense once I remove the automatic transmission- I am just concerned.

That is the only potential hiccup to this swap. I don't have much knowledge about RWD drive train to know for sure. I sure as hell don't want to pull everything apart and be missing a U joint or something.

You can see in the pic what the end looks like. Is anything missing to attatch to the automatic drive train?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry pic is upside down.

Attachments

• IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 21
You need the yoke for the T-56 that goes on that end. It's a slip yoke like on the auto. Just splined and sized for the Truck T-56:rock:

You need the yoke for the T-56 that goes on that end. It's a slip yoke like on the auto. Just splined and sized for the Truck T-56:rock:

Is that something that I could find at an auto parts store? Do I have to go to the dealer? What do they cost?

Shit. I guess i'm not going to be doing this swap on Sunday...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Well that's depressing. Slip Yoke is going to take at least a week to come in.

Hopefully my suspension kit came in and is at the house. I'll slam the truck instead of swapping in the tranny.

Well that's depressing. Slip Yoke is going to take at least a week to come in.

Hopefully my suspension kit came in and is at the house. I'll slam the truck instead of swapping in the tranny.

You can still do the swap bro, just won't be able to drive it till you get that yoke.
Maybe some other guys who've swapped may have an extra? Post in wanted section bud. :rock:

You can still do the swap bro, just won't be able to drive it till you get that yoke.
Maybe some other guys who've swapped may have an extra? Post in wanted section bud. :rock:

It's ok. I ordered brand new from the dealer slip yoke and U-joints.

Only problem is I'm going to do the swap at my friends shop and he has an outside lift I can use. I don't want to leave it at his shop for a week.

I don't want to do the swap in my garage on my back either.

I'm literally at the stage where all I am going to have to do is swap the transmissions- install flywheel and clutch. connect the driveline- install the tune- and fire her up. Might take me all of 3 hours.

Swapping the pedal assembly was by far the most tedious part... I'm glad I got that out of the way.

Did you remove your trans cooler and lines yet,and your stock shifter and cable

Did you remove your trans cooler and lines yet,and your stock shifter and cable

No. The truck is my daily. Im doing as much work as I can and have the truck still be drivable. I can't really do anything else until the parts come in.

SCT Tuner is programmed. Tranny is prepped. I guess I could clean up the clutch and the flywheel.

It's too bad that the slip yoke's aren't interchangeable. I would have loved to have a handshaker SRT-10 Ram for my birthday.

Yeah I got lucky and didn't forget any parts to order when I did mine and had it done in one day but then our fine postal service took a extra 3 days to get my computer back so I had to sit and stare at it completely finished and not able to drive it lol

Got a brand new slip-yoke and U-joint from Dodge dealer for $230. I think I am going to jack this thing up and do the swap by myself on my back...

I cant take it anymore. I want this thing a 6-speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I did lol it wasn't bad but be careful th auto trans is heavy

OK!

So after 5 long hours- she has 2 more gears!

Couple things I have noticed….

The 48RE is HEAVY! My God that thing wis massive. And has seemingly endless transmission fluid inside of it. One cool thing is that there was a brand new pilot bearing in the crank. When I had the rear main seal replaced- it must have come with a pilot bearing. Automatic transmission Viper engines and Manual transmission Viper engines are not the same. The the bell housing does not line up perfectly. But does good enough.

I installed the tune E gave me and when i turn the truck on "trans temp" is on briefly then goes away.

Check engine light is always on.
I cannot give it full throttle while under load. After about 50% throttle past 4000 RPM the engine cuts in and out massively- like its hitting a rev limiter.

Clutch feels good. I forgot how long the Viper clutch was! Only issue is that the clutch disk has about 10% life left.. Which really sucks balls. I'll have to replace it within 3-6 months id gather.

Had to drill a couple holes for the transmission mount because they didn't match up. The transmission Yoke I bought from Dodge did not work. Ity was equal on all 4 sides. The one that worked was the one which was originally installed on the custom drive shaft. Long on 2 ends, short on 2 ends. After feeling the heft of these drive shafts, I am seriously considering getting the carbon fiber one that Tony sells.

After only 5 miles the drivetrain has created a NASTY vibration and metal-to-metal sound. It sounds like one of the U joints or something is whacking against the frame of the truck. Goes away when not moving. I am too tired to trouble shoot that matter right now. Transmission is chatty. Not bad sounds, just not used to hearing gears spinning around right under the floor. Cut the hole out almost perfectly for the shifter. Now have to figure out how to close up the gap- can feel lots of super hot air coming from under the truck as I am moving.

Tomorrow after work i'll hook up my scanner and see what codes are coming up.

Also. I removed the spring in the reverse solenoid thing- per several members suggestion....

Heres my issue with that. There is ZERO protection from going into reverse instead of 5th gear. On every car I have ever driven there is some fail safe which prevents one from engauging reverse while moving forward at more than 2-3 mph or so. I singed reverse a couple times while doing 40 mph trying to get into fifth gear….How can I fix that?

The shifter seems pretty tight. Took several rows of the all the gears to nail 4th every time. Missing third? Dunno how people do that. I seem to miss 4th and land in 2nd.

Also developed a massive power-steering fluid leak on the line that connects to the top of the power steering pump. Looks like the fitting isn't seating properly. Strange… it has less than 15,000 miles on the new line.

Could not get the reverse lights to turn on. I spliced in the wires based on E's suggestion, but lights no worky.

Ive got some work to do tomorrow. Otherwise, it feels good to be the 5th or 6th… Still don't know which!!!

Many thanks to those that helped me along on this swap.

Like you, I've missed 4th more times than second. Hope you get everything sorted out soon.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back