Will I be the 5th or 6th?

Nah man you are missing a bracket that goes inbetween the trans mount and crossmember it raises the tail of the trans up a little, so yeah that's probably what killed your support bearing

Hmmmm,

I just cant picture of where that bolts to under the truck and on the transmission.

The transmission's tail is bolted to the cross-member, just like how the automatic tranny was bolted to the truck. I used the metal/rubberized transmission mount. The transmission is NOT just hanging from the bell-housing. It is bolted to the frame. The cross-member is slotted and there is obviously some play on where it can bolt onto it. All I did was drill 2 holes on the bracket and that allowed me to bolt the transmission and transmission mount to the cross-member- like the auto was bolted on.

So you are saying that there is a 3rd piece of metal that goes in-between the tranny mount, the tranny, the bracket and the cross-member? Any more metal in there would lower the transmission not raise it up.

Look guys, the place where I installed my transmission was under the supervision of a multiple 6 second NHRA champion builder/driver. If there were any obvious complications we would have found them.

The only issue I can think of is that thick blue paint. The driveshaft took a lot of effort to get on. The only thing I can think of is that we must have damaged the carrier somehow and that caused the disintegration of the rubber.

6second NHRA cars have nothing in common with a viper truck....the bracket is different from the auto to the 6 speed, you need the 6speed bracket

6second NHRA cars have nothing in common with a viper truck....the bracket is different from the auto to the 6 speed, you need the 6speed bracket

6 Second NHRA cars require much more attention and expertise is what I am getting at. Experience is experience. Someone with 20+ years of racing/building experience is more than I could have ever bargained for- to help me with my swap. I know I can't build one, and you probably can't either. One day a Viper truck may be a 6 Second race truck... so what? Just because no one has done that does not invalidate what he has done.... over and over and over again.

So if I am missing a bracket it would be nice if someone could show me a picture of what I am missing...

Anyone have pics of this bracket?

Last edited:
6 Second NHRA cars require much more attention and expertise is what I am getting at. Experience is experience. Someone with 20+ years of racing/building experience is more than I could have ever bargained for- to help me with my swap. I know I can't build one, and you probably can't either. One day a Viper truck may be a 6 Second race truck... so what? Just because no one has done that does not invalidate what he has done.... over and over and over again.

So if I am missing a bracket it would be nice if someone could show me a picture of what I am missing...

Just went out in the pourin rain for this pic. Hope it helps. Hard to get without laying under it.
1174661_10200509658405029_1704391008_n.jpg

You're right I can't build a 6 second race car, but I can put a 6 speed in a QC viper truck.

So can I apparently. Even if I don't have all the right parts. :chain:

Just got a fax from the dodge dealer with the mount and bracket pics. It's a very small bracket. 1/8" thick steel should do fine.. I'll just make one on Wednesday.

Thanks for the pics guys.

I'll check the bracket that is currently installed on the truck. And, if i'm honest... the metal looks exactly the same thickness.

Pics to follow when I get home.

So can I apparently. Even if I don't have all the right parts. :chain:

Just got a fax from the dodge dealer with the mount and bracket pics. It's a very small bracket. 1/8" thick steel should do fine.. I'll just make one on Wednesday.

I think you can just order it from dodge, that way you know your tail shaft is at the correct height and make all your driveline angles correct.

Look guys, the place where I installed my transmission was under the supervision of a multiple 6 second NHRA champion builder/driver. If there were any obvious complications we would have found them.
If your builder is so smart, why are you on here all the time asking for help?

You start this statement telling everyone here how much smarter your guys then the rest of us, then ask if we can provide a picture, because you are too stupid to figure out what everyone is trying to tell you (you have the wrong mount). I'm shocked there are people here still trying to help you after part 1.

I think you can just order it from dodge, that way you know your tail shaft is at the correct height and make all your driveline angles correct.
ARRESTmeRd04, can't you even read? His builder has 20+ YEARS of experience, building WAY cooler stuff than you or I can even imagine. They don't need to order parts from the stinking dealer. They PAY ATTENTION TO FREAKING DETAIL, BRO!!

Last edited:
If your builder is so smart, why are you on here all the time asking for help?

You start this statement telling everyone here how much smarter your guys then the rest of us, then ask if we can provide a picture because you are too stupid to figure out what everyone is trying to tell you (you have the wrong mount). I'm shocked there are people here still trying to help you after part 1.

ARRESTmeRd04, can't you even read? His builder has 20+ YEARS of experience, building WAY cooler stuff than you or I can even imagine. They don't need to order parts from the stinking dealer. They PAY ATTENTION TO FREAKING DETAIL, BRO!!

Goodness gracious! Such hostility! He's not my builder! He lent me his lift and as I said, supervised my swap. He gives me advice when I need it. At the time, everything seemed to line up perfectly.

When I get home I will check the thickness of the bracket and i'll buy a new one from the dealer if they are still available and we can see if they are the same thickness. Because that's the reason were having this discussion right?

The fact that he has a lot of experience is the only reason I borrowed his lift. I've never worked extensively on RWD vehicles. Mainly FWD. I'm finding out what is needed and not needed literally by trial and error guys.

Anyway, please, relax with the bullshit.

For those that posted pics, thank you very much.

I just ordered the bracket from Dodge. $33.83. So pretty cheap.

Also, thread wouldn't exist if there was a "how to" on this swap. I am planning a concise "how to" for this so that these little "tifs" are avoided.

Yes you need this bracket man. Everyone has told you that y'all misses that part. It isn't very tall so still don't think it ate that carrier bearing. Seems it was maybe ovetightened and seized bearing and bearing spun inside rubber. Or bearing was damaged during install somehow.

Yes you need this bracket man. Everyone has told you that y'all misses that part. It isn't very tall so still don't think it ate that carrier bearing. Seems it was maybe ovetightened and seized bearing and bearing spun inside rubber. Or bearing was damaged during install somehow.

Yup. That's what I think too. I think I damaged it when I installed the driveshaft. It was so damn snug it took a lot of force to get it on.

Either way, I've got the bracket coming.

Goodness gracious! Such hostility! He's not my builder! He lent me his lift and as I said, supervised my swap. He gives me advice when I need it. At the time, everything seemed to line up perfectly.

When I get home I will check the thickness of the bracket and i'll buy a new one from the dealer if they are still available and we can see if they are the same thickness. Because that's the reason were having this discussion right?

The fact that he has a lot of experience is the only reason I borrowed his lift. I've never worked extensively on RWD vehicles. Mainly FWD. I'm finding out what is needed and not needed literally by trial and error guys.

Also, thread wouldn't exist if there was a "how to" on this swap. I am planning a concise "how to" for this so that these little "tifs" are avoided.

There's no " How-To" because it was my idea everyone said couldn't/wouldn't work years ago. I successfully did it and wanted to make a conversion kit for y'all to easily purchase a one place with everything needed to do this swap. I gave one guy instructions and parts on his install, SRT2Slow. It's since had a few followers and helped others with their swap and many interested in this kit. I'm currently putting together a few packages and that will be one of them. Sold by the originator, Venomous1 Racing. :rock:

You're right, I should have never posted in your thread ("if you can't say something nice.."). Hope you get the kinks all worked out and get the '10 back on the road soon.

You're right, I should have never posted in your thread ("if you can't say something nice.."). Hope you get the kinks all worked out and get the '10 back on the road soon.

It's all good man. At the end of the day we all want the same thing. To have fun with our trucks and to help others who need it. I for one love this place and am glad to have a home here.

Looking forward to writing up that "how to"!

Removed the driveshafts and the yoke.

The is how I used the transmission mount and bracket. You can see where I drilled the two holes. From the looks of the bracket, it look like the automatic bracket actually pushes the transmission up 1/2 " HIGHER than the manual bracket would. So that is unlikely the cause of my problem. I am thinking that my issue is 100% my fault. I should not have forced those driveshafts together. i should have stripped that damn blue paint off the custom half shaft.

Oh well. Lesson learned. Got the slip yoke boxed up to send to the drive-shaft place in the morning.

DSC01298_zpse08da035.jpg

DSC01301_zps4c9cdbe6.jpg

DSC01297_zps1e6f543a.jpg

DSC01302_zpsaa591b00.jpg

DSC01300_zpsc909d17d.jpg

DSC01299_zps1ecfaa26.jpg

DSC01303_zps6b126c2e.jpg

DSC01305_zps1e8c5a98.jpg

OK.

Swapped out the automatic transmission mount bracket for the manual bracket. My findings? They are exactly the same height. Buying the manual transmission bracket is not needed for this swap. One merely needs to drill a couple of holes and there you go.

It only makes sense.

From the very front of the crank to the tail of the transmission is one straight line. No difference between an automatic viper truck or a manual viper truck. So why then would there be a height difference in the motor mounts/ transmission brackets? There isn't one. The 48re doesn't mount higher or lower than a T56.

So, it wasn't the angle that killed that rubber in the carrier bearing. It was my forcefulness.

My new aluminum driveshaft is in the mail. One thing I am going to do is weigh the differences. I am curious how much less it is going to weigh than the steel stuff.

Here's the pics:
DSC01331_zps566795e2.jpg

DSC01334_zps1c1c200a.jpg

DSC01335_zps21ef36fb.jpg

DSC01336_zps20b8bd76.jpg

DSC01338_zps735e40f0.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back