WIP: Merc '49

Floor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
decided to look for a real lead sled for my old days...

After some looking arround which was still affordable i found a '49 in the bronx NY. It arrived a few weeks ago in Netherlands and is now ready for the remaining restauration in Belgium...

MVC-004S.jpg

MVC-005S.jpg

IMG00060-20110415-1005.jpg

unfortunately it got dammaged during transport (nose) but that can be fixed with the insurance money
IMG00062-20110415-1204.jpg

that is sweet:rock::rock::rock:

love the 3rd photo

damn that thing is sick, do they all look like that or has she been chopped.

and yes, i too love the VT hauling her

damn that thing is sick, do they all look like that or has she been chopped.

and yes, i too love the VT hauling her

young dude, the lead sled usually a full "custom" work of art.:rock::rock::rock:

chopped, channeled, frenched, smoothed, etc.:rock:

way more of a cruiser, but like anything else, there are some with some extra ponies in the coral:rock:

oh & why they are called lead sleds is there was a time bondo did not exist. so all body work was done with lead solder. the more body work, the more lead. the more lead the more weight.

to me, leadin is a diein art form. they do make lead free body solder today, so not as bad for ya. but the extra weight & a bit more labor intesive

Last edited:
seems there's some animo to post updates about the restauration...;)
will do mr friends... Og yea about the ponies,it got a 350CI (380HP) so it should be more then just a cruiser....:rock:

hello friends, got a question for y'all:
Say IF you could put a V10 into this baby, would you consider it ?

(un)fortunately someone totalled his RAM arround here and the engine/trans is up for sale with 40k on the odometer... .

The 350ci V8 has to come out of the merc anyhow for revision/tune, so I was wondering if it was worth considering a little 'upgrade' :p

Would you recommend other changes appart from a major brake improvement (rear axle/diff, .. ?) to make sure the lead sled is capable to handle the power & torque.... Let your ideas run wild.

damn how and the heck did it take a hit like that on the trailer? and you can definitely get a V-10 to fit in there! just need to find the right fabricator

I don't know and i don't care.... we will have it fixed and charge it to the assurance.

Just need some good pointers now for a smooth engine swap (althoug it will need quitte some adaptions, I'm sure)

well guys.... picked up a '05 RAM rear axle today to put under the merc. I assume it could use a little upgrade since there's a viper engine sailing to Belgium right now in view of "a little" engine upgrade.

Question: as the block+trans came without PCM how would you guys handle that? Buy a OEM PCM of a car or truck or find a aftermarket computor and start from scratch (I found a company who can do this).
How easy would it be to use a stock PCM? Don't I need to put in a VIN or something?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back