You CA Guys Can Keep the Quakes

jrray24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live near St Louis MO and had just laid down from a long night of being bored to death at work when my house began to shake. It lasted about 20 seconds and it was over. My wife woke up and I just chuckled. I told her it was an earthquake but the folks in California would not have even counted it. They said it was a 5.2. We just had a lil aftershock. I figured my new in ground pool would be empty, not because of the magnitude, just because of my luck. You guys can really keep them though. We have enough flooding and tornadoes to keep us busy. You keep the wild fires and earthquakes okay?:eek:

SrtBrad said:
Glad your OK bro. We are long overdue for a big earthquake. They say the big quake is coming real soon.

the northridge quake back in the 90's wasn't big enuff 4 u?:p

jrray24 said:
I live near St Louis MO and had just laid down from a long night of being bored to death at work when my house began to shake. It lasted about 20 seconds and it was over. My wife woke up and I just chuckled. I told her it was an earthquake but the folks in California would not have even counted it. They said it was a 5.2. We just had a lil aftershock. I figured my new in ground pool would be empty, not because of the magnitude, just because of my luck. You guys can really keep them though. We have enough flooding and tornadoes to keep us busy. You keep the wild fires and earthquakes okay?:eek:

Many years ago I moved to St Louis, the first night I liverd there we had one...I woulda never believed if I hadn't seen it. Glad you faired OK.!!!

I live in central Illinois and we could really feel it. It felt like someone had a hold of our bed and was violently shaking it forward and backward. Then at 10:17am central time we had another one here and they said it came from the same fault line at 10:14am and it was a 4.6. My desk and chair was all moving around. Not something we are used to in Illinois.

You guys in the midwest are sitting on a tremendous fault line. At least in California the faults relieve pressure more or less a little @ a time. The New Madrid is likely to relieve big time all @ once!

Yea, Wells Nevada feels your pain

VJ

tidnab said:
the northridge quake back in the 90's wasn't big enuff 4 u?:p
boy i remember that one. I lived about 2-3 miles from the center of the quake... shoke the crap out of our family... cali is due for a big one its been 14 years since the Northridge quake. glad I wont be there..I hate quakes

In 1989 The San Francisco Bay area had the "Loma Prieta" earthquake on the San Andreas fault. It was A measured "7.0" and lasted 15 seconds. The effect was more than 4000 people injured and 10,000 homeless. And Now We are Overdue for a 8.0 any minute on the hayward fault!!!!!:nurse: :elefant:

Here is something to keep in mind. the differance between a 5.1 and a 5.2 is = to 10 times. So a 5.2 is 10 time stronger than a 5.1. Now imagine a 7.0

noid said:
Here is something to keep in mind. the differance between a 5.1 and a 5.2 is = to 10 times. So a 5.2 is 10 time stronger than a 5.1. Now imagine a 7.0

Mike so your telling me that a 8.0 is 300 times stronger:( :(

Glad to hear you're OK. Bloody freaky things, small ones are fun but you just never know if the quake will drop the clutch and get REAL wild. Unluckily for us in New Zealand, we have a main pacific? plate running straight through our whole country lol. I have one of New Zealand's biggest fault lines 2 minutes walk behind my house - The Hutt River. Yay for me. :(

...I think all of this is weird, we had one just south of san a about two weeks ago. I think is was a 4.2 or so. Seems like other faults moving while the ones in cali are building up...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back