towing 101

I'd be worried mostly about detonation. All other problems would be secondary...

what transmission did they use on the 2500 with the v-10 i know it was geared lower, no doubt there.

you get 14 mpg towing a trailer? i cant get that empty.

the boat is a cruiser, and i only towed it 10 miles arround my block to see how well it worked.

if i had a crash, there would be no way to know if it was designed to tow, and then u-haul would share a responsibility for installing a hitch.

suspension has an overload spring on it, that say's "tow with me"

two things might happen with this truck in the long term....

1 i use it to tow my boat,
and i use it to tow the fifth wheel trailer.
2 it gets traded in for a $175,000 motor home

i have not made my mind, but for $160 i put a hitch on it to test my theory....
if it did end up towing the fifth wheel i would put a new rear end on it. maybe a 5:1.

i like the truck and would love to run about in flordia this winter in it, but i need to find the best solution.

i am leaning strongly at this point toward the class-a motor home. in the spring i would then pick up the gts.

You know, if you have a desire for an RV...now is a great time to buy one!

Contact FatJack...he is the RV expert here...seriously...sells them for a living and can give you all of the insight about prices during this economic downturn!

I just don't think you comprehend the issues you are going to face in trying to tow anything other than a jet ski with an RC...some say it works, but I suspect that if they had their druthers they would only tow with a QC.

the end of October i will be making the purchase.
i want the rv for many reasons, but with the price i will have to trade the truck in..... not happy about that.... i will speak with fatjack...

Fatjack knows his business has been doing it for years...he will be a great deal of help.

i talked to him before about the fifth wheels.
i am the kind of person who plans months before he buys.
oct 29 i will be making the biggest purchase of my life.

Wow, trade it in if you are going to be on our roadways with that kind of stupidity. There's a reason that Dodge recommended no towingt for SRT-10 RC's. They can't handle it. You were towing more than a regular 1500 is rated for and more than a q/c srt is rated for by 3,000#. The SRT is a sports truck, not a work truck.

I put a hitch on my Truck right after I bought it, did have to pull a trailer about 5 miles and back a couple of years ago. now I just stuck the scull with the light up eyes into the reciever.:)

C'mon guys, think about it. If he wrecks the truck he can sue the boat company for building such a heavy ass boat, then he can sue u-haul for putting the hitch on, then he can sue us for telling him he can tow with a truck. Duh guys :D :D :D :D

Popcorn-animated_3.gif

so looking at u hual.com.....they didnt have a hitch for s SRT10 listed so a reg cab 1500 will do, listed as follows, scoobert, look at the hitch wieght chart and correct if im wrong....tho there is little chance

Hitches for a 2006 Dodge 1/2 Ton Ram 1500
Hitch# Type Class Max weight Max distribution weight Finish Price Details
41890 Square Tube 2 inch Rec. 3 5000 10000 Black $99.95 Buy now
41895 Square Tube 2 inch Rec. 3 6000 10000 Black $119.95 Buy now

now your boat wieghs 8k....your OVER the uhaul wight LIMIT by ATLEAST a 2000lbs

please enlighten when you have a crash
1. you are over ANY GVWR for a 1/2 ton reg cab p/u
2. you are over the UHAUL hitch wieght limit

Back