towing 101

they punched it into the computer, i could not see what they were doing.

looks like they lied to me twice.i asked them if they made on that goes on the frame, they said no. they told me only the bumper mounted one was available.

here's the kicker, when they put the side plastic on they scratched the quarter panel. so now i had to call there insurance company. you can see the scratches go straight down. to the plastic. they also nicked the bumper.
i have a feeling this will be coming off and be returned.
i got the 418905 now.
this is the style i wanted.
41929 Square Tube 2 inch Rec.10000 12000 Black $289.95

fyi i have an 04.

also for those not in the know, to be rated at 6000 lbs the hitch needs to tow 18,000 lbs to pass testing. not talking about the truck, just talking about the hitch and the way its mounted.

so when your reciever says 10,000 its been tested to 30,000.
i have had 18,000 behind my suburban.

SSPX0391.jpg

yes the trailer was overloaded, i live in the middle of nowhere it doesnt matter what you do out here because there is noone else on the road except from 7-8 and 5-6. thats also how i can go well in excess of 100 and not hurt anyone or get pulled over.
thats why i tested the boat before i towed it down the highway.

scoobert said:
they punched it into the computer, i could not see what they were doing.

looks like they lied to me twice.i asked them if they made on that goes on the frame, they said no. they told me only the bumper mounted one was available.

here's the kicker, when they put the side plastic on they scratched the quarter panel. so now i had to call there insurance company. you can see the scratches go straight down. to the plastic. they also nicked the bumper.
i have a feeling this will be coming off and be returned.
i got the 418905 now.
this is the style i wanted.
41929 Square Tube 2 inch Rec.10000 12000 Black $289.95

fyi i have an 04.

also for those not in the know, to be rated at 6000 lbs the hitch needs to tow 18,000 lbs to pass testing. not talking about the truck, just talking about the hitch and the way its mounted.

so when your reciever says 10,000 its been tested to 30,000.
i have had 18,000 behind my suburban.

SSPX0391.jpg

yes the trailer was overloaded, i live in the middle of nowhere it doesnt matter what you do out here because there is noone else on the road except from 7-8 and 5-6. thats also how i can go well in excess of 100 and not hurt anyone or get pulled over.
thats why i tested the boat before i towed it down the highway.
Bro in that pic there is no way that weighs 18K#'s...I used to tow precast walls behind my F-250 weighing in around 16K...and the load was way larger than that.....I also Used a trailer similar to the Sunbelt trailer shown except my was 16' dual axle and loaded with sand/pearock mix and I'm sure it didn't weight 18K....
did you weigh this on a truck scale or are you guessing these numbers? I'm asking because I've done a shit load of towing and used to tow construction equipment on a 28' gooseneck barely any of my hit 9ton and I was pulling loaders and backhoes which means your load is similar to this and I find hard to believe http://www.volvo.com/constructionequipment/na/en-us/products/backhoeloaders/introduction.htm

Last edited:
i rolled off the scale at the quarry at 24,000 the truck could weight as much as 7500 i guess. i have also towed a 410d on a lowboy behind.
our sunbelt don't have a twin axle, you should try to dump it. i had to lift it with a bucket loader to try and dump it. once i had to do this...

SSPX0390.jpg

All Scoobutt see's is its over 500 hp so since it can move 8000lbs around the neighborhood no reason why it can't pull 13,000lbs. Many vehicles with far less power tow far heavier loads don't you know?! I'd be amused to know how Scoobutt arrived at 13,000lbs. Besides, whats the difference between towing around the neighborhood and on the highway?

Scoobutt's an moron on a good day. He started on this forum about suing others and even now he thinks since Uhaul put the hitch on they are responsible/liable. This is the kind of person a society could do without. Attention whore? Naw, I think he truly believes what he says/posts. His reasoning/justification is frightening. I can only hope that he does not breed.

BTW....is Uhaul responsible for this too?

P6270009.jpg

Last edited:
Pardon me, but the RCs can tow up to 6,000 pounds, correct? As I have yet to get one, I still don't know all the ins and outs.

Chuck B said:
BTW....is Uhaul responsible for this too?

No, the NYDOT is :D oh, wait, maybe its Dodge, or the tire company.....

Internet Rambo's: people who will never say things to someones face that they post on the internet.

and no that went on my collision coverage, dumb ass.

Flaming is a hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. Flaming usually occurs in the social context of a discussion board, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) or even through e-mail. An Internet user typically generates a flame response to other posts or users posting on a site, and such a response is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority over other users. Other times, a flamer is simply an individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion. This leads him or her to personally attack those who disagree. In some cases, flamers wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they can be called "trolls". Most often however, flames are angry or insulting messages transmitted by people who have strong feelings about a subject.

Some equate flaming with simply letting off steam, though the receiving party may be less than pleased. Similarly, a normal, non-flame message may have elements of a flame—it may be hostile, for example—but it is not a flame if its author seriously intends to advance the discussion. The word "flaming" is also sometimes used for long, intensive and heated discussions, even though insults do not occur.

Although the trading of insults is as old as human speech, flaming on the Internet, like many other online 'actions,' started in the Usenet hierarchies (although it was known to occur in the WWIVnet and FidoNet computer networks as well). Recently, several online forums have actively encouraged flaming amongst fellow posters.

ShantJ said:
Pardon me, but the RCs can tow up to 6,000 pounds, correct? As I have yet to get one, I still don't know all the ins and outs.

No. RC's have specific warnings to not tow.

There are some here that do, but I would not recommend it.

The QC's can tow.

moron-
–noun 1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
2. Psychology. a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

prof, correct me if i am wrong doesn't this come down to gearing and clutch?
or are there other things beyond sight that prevent towing?

scoobert said:
prof, correct me if i am wrong doesn't this come down to gearing and clutch?
or are there other things beyond sight that prevent towing?

You have been told by more than one person over and over again. Its many things.
Clutch, Suspension, weight of the truck, transmission, cooling.
Please for the sake of the truck (and the safety to you and others), don't do it.

I believe so. But there has never been a statement from Dodge that I have read for the reason.

I believe that the clutch is a very likely candidate, the 4:10 rear end ratio is also a good candidate.

But I am no expert...

Prof said:
I believe so. But there has never been a statement from Dodge that I have read for the reason.

I believe that the clutch is a very likely candidate, the 4:10 rear end ratio is also a good candidate.

But I am no expert...

is there anything you believe that is from a safety standpoint?
the brakes are larger on the front then any truck, and the rear are off a 1ton, if i am not mistaken.
also is this not a 2500 chassis?
are the springs on the rear lighter then a 1500?

walbert said:
moron-
–noun 1. a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
2. Psychology. a person of borderline intelligence in a former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

the "13k dump trailer"

so you think you put 13k into a 2.5yd trailer? thats rated 3700lbs? rock isnt that heavy bro....stop posting your ignorance and stupity please

Last edited:
I've pulled a 4,000 lb Trailer with mine. I did it one time cause I couldn't get anyone else to pull it. I'll tell ya one thing, It pulled it just as easy as my old 2500.:burnout:

srt 10 jimbo said:
I've pulled a 4,000 lb Trailer with mine. I did it one time cause I couldn't get anyone else to pull it. I'll tell ya one thing, It pulled it just as easy as my old 2500.:burnout:

Don't encourage the boy :D

Smokey said:
the "13k dump trailer"

so you think you put 13k into a 2.5yd trailer? thats rated 3700lbs? rock isnt that heavy bro....stop posting your ignorance and stupity please
That was my thought....especially on a single axle:dontknow: I'm not too sure of many single axle single tires that can support 13K? Like I said I have done a lot of towing in my day and I know what things weigh...
Back to the truck....can it tow YES is it meant to tow NO, thats why dodge made this the FASTEST SPORT TRUCK...trans/gearing i'm sure are a big factor but more than that is the springs load rating also.. I'm sure they put overload springs for the simple fact that all n all...it is a truck and I'm sure they anticipated quite a few people to be putting things in the bed, nut they didn't adevertise to tow with it that's why they sell the 1500 Ram:D

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back