towing 101

kickinassrt-10 said:
That was my thought....especially on a single axle:dontknow: I'm not too sure of many single axle single tires that can support 13K? Like I said I have done a lot of towing in my day and I know what things weigh...
Back to the truck....can it tow YES is it meant to tow NO, thats why dodge made this the FASTEST SPORT TRUCK...trans/gearing i'm sure are a big factor but more than that is the springs load rating also.. I'm sure they put overload springs for the simple fact that all n all...it is a truck and I'm sure they anticipated quite a few people to be putting things in the bed, nut they didn't adevertise to tow with it that's why they sell the 1500 Ram:D

sorry i looked in the truck and i no longer have the scale ticket (it was 2 years ago) think i threw them out when i was in Florida.
most likely was a 9k axle and those tires could not go any lower. i had to take it slow and easy when hauling that.

if i could turn back time i would have paid 10k more for a 3500 megacab diesel. but at least i can say i have had one of these.... of coarse someone will call BS on that too, lol.

And who was the Moron who stated they wanted to use their RC to pull their 5th wheel? Its not just one statement or act that has led to myself and others to bring this to your attention. You have proven yourself over and over with different matters that you do not grasp simple logic nor give any regard to the dangers you are, have and unfortunately will continue to place those innocent others around you. When it comes to blatant stupidity then yes I will make comments, even personal, directed at said person be that on a forum such as this or face to face. Scary part is none of this including many other threads you've started will make you pause and think about your actions....

i asked about safety, no one responded with a safety concern other then "dodge says NO". thats where the 13,000 comes from. thats the empty weight of the 5th wheel camper. i am really leaning tword the rv, however i will follow every avenue of thought, i think outside the narrow minded view of sheeple. that is how we got where we are today, people thinking outside the normal realm of thought. Einstein thought outside the box. so do i.
i do my best to take the real information out of the strings of childish remarks. i never have and never will take one persons word and run with it.

horseless carriages..... PFFFT witchcraft!!!!!

Smokey said:
the "13k dump trailer"

so you think you put 13k into a 2.5yd trailer? thats rated 3700lbs? rock isnt that heavy bro....stop posting your ignorance and stupity please

Scoobutt stated he weighed in at 24K gross. Correct my math but he figured his Suburban weighed 7500lbs. Means his 2.5yd trailer was 16,500lbs.

Chuck B said:
And who was the Moron who stated they wanted to use their RC to pull their 5th wheel? Its not just one statement or act that has led to myself and others to bring this to your attention. You have proven yourself over and over with different matters that you do not grasp simple logic nor give any regard to the dangers you are, have and unfortunately will continue to place those innocent others around you. When it comes to blatant stupidity then yes I will make comments, even personal, directed at said person be that on a forum such as this or face to face. Scary part is none of this including many other threads you've started will make you pause and think about your actions....

you cant fix stupid....:marchmellow:

that's a good one. those u-haul trailers are the most dangerous things on the road, and there trucks.
take your average person, never towed a trailer before, give him one with surge brakes and a weight of 5000lbs behind a half maintained truck with under inflated tires. crash waiting to happen.
as for the trucks, get someone out of a honda civic and give them a 18,000lb truck and say drive it 8 hours.
its a joke. thats why when i rent those trailers they always have damage on them when i pick them up.
in fact when my grandparents moved they loaded the truck, loaded there car and hired a ex tractor trailer driver to drive it 500 miles. because all they had driven was ford pickups and they knew how dangerous it was.

woah way off topic now.

Chuck B said:
Scoobutt stated he weighed in at 24K gross. Correct my math but he figured his Suburban weighed 7500lbs. Means his 2.5yd trailer was 16,500lbs.

i am not sure what the truck weights, anywhere from 5-7.5k.

Smokey said:
you cant fix stupid....:marchmellow:

Not this stupid...

This will be my last post regarding Scoobutt. I just hope others are not injured by his actions.

scoobert said:
i asked about safety, no one responded with a safety concern other then "dodge says NO". thats where the 13,000 comes from. thats the empty weight of the 5th wheel camper. i am really leaning tword the rv, however i will follow every avenue of thought, i think outside the narrow minded view of sheeple. that is how we got where we are today, people thinking outside the normal realm of thought. Einstein thought outside the box. so do i.
i do my best to take the real information out of the strings of childish remarks. i never have and never will take one persons word and run with it.

horseless carriages..... PFFFT witchcraft!!!!!

Dodges problem with towing is the location of the axle on top of the leafs. This leads to major problems with the rear end swaying, and adds a considerable amount of torsion to the rear sway bar also. Heat in the transmition and rear are also a large problem, the added weight causes excess friction in 5th and 6th gear which cooks the fluid as you drive.

BigRed460 said:
Dodges problem with towing is the location of the axle on top of the leafs. This leads to major problems with the rear end swaying, and adds a considerable amount of torsion to the rear sway bar also. Heat in the transmition and rear are also a large problem, the added weight causes excess friction in 5th and 6th gear which cooks the fluid as you drive.

i started looking into this alittle deeper...it seems the dodge does not give the RC a carrying capacity OR tow rateing, the fact that GVWR is only 6600lbs fully suports this.

The RC is only made to haul ass and not much else

I think you could make a RC handle the load of a regular 1500. Let's figure it out...what would actually make them dangerous? Springs, frame strength, and brakes...and from there the rest is about reliability IMO correct? Putting some nice overload springs on it would take care of that issue and maybe flipping the springs over the axles? I recommend Hellwig if they fit, not sure. The frame is strengthened over a 1500 so that shouldn't be an issue. The brakes are very good and I highly doubt you'd have an issue there. From there you have reliability, motor, trans, clutch, and rear differential. Putting in 4.56 gears or 4.88 would really help. The cooling system should be fine as it is an upgraded version of the 1500. The clutch is definitely going to be the weak point though and should definitely be replaced. I don't know how the engine and tranny will react to towing either. The QC is rated for 5,000 lbs last I knew so I would think the engine can handle that. The tranny however, who knows? Have they ever put a T-56 in anything that could tow? I don't think so...

I once towed a 6100 lb travel trailer for about 15 miles in an emergency situation. The truck was dangerous in my opinion. The suspension just can't handle it. The clutch is also a weak link.

What is the weak link in the QC?

Smokey said:
the "13k dump trailer"

so you think you put 13k into a 2.5yd trailer? thats rated 3700lbs? rock isnt that heavy bro....stop posting your ignorance and stupity please

But possible
typical density of granite is 2700 kg/m³
converting
2700 kg/m³ x 0.77 m³/yd³ x 2.2 lb/kg = 4600 lb/yd³

That's more than 2 tons per yd³

includemeout said:
But possible
typical density of granite is 2700 kg/m³
converting
2700 kg/m³ x 0.77 m³/yd³ x 2.2 lb/kg = 4600 lb/yd³

That's more than 2 tons per yd³

thats for a solid chunk tho, gravel is around 1522 kg/m³, so it comes to 2500lb/yd³

my source

Smokey said:
thats for a solid chunk tho, gravel is around 1522 kg/m³, so it comes to 2500lb/yd³

my source

it was shot rock, that may be why it weighed more and looked like less material? i was totally shocked when i came off the scale, i was trying to average 5 ton per load and that was way over what the other ones were, most were 18-20k gross. i remember i put the truck in low range for the big hills, both ways... although its a huge diesel you have to nurse it up the hills, it will do 70 loaded up any hill, but the temp will climb, how high i am not sure, but i always back off at 215.

heavy haul rigs have this same problem, weighing in at over 200,000 on a long hill they back out of it to keep the temperature cool.

cobraken said:
I once towed a 6100 lb travel trailer for about 15 miles in an emergency situation. The truck was dangerous in my opinion. The suspension just can't handle it. The clutch is also a weak link.

What is the weak link in the QC?
Hauling more than 5 bags of groceries :D :D :D

QC's are tow rated for 7,500 lbs. I pull a 3,500 lb trailer all the time (2 3-seater jetskiis plus toolbox, etc). I can pull it at 70-80mph all day long and the temperature never even creeps up. I have pulled it 500 miles at a time, and you can barely even tell it is back there. I wouldn't want to try 13,000 lbs though.

Last edited:
Back