WARNING All VIPER Engines with an Accumsump are in imminent danger of failure

ok i'm confused here,maybe someone else posted this,but werent u in a canyon when it blew ,u heard a bang but still drove it out of the canyon because there was no where to pullover or was that someone else that posted that?

Don't over look your state consumer affairs office. While not the ideal resource, it is their job to protect the consumer...a call from them might get some reaction from the company, or it may not. It would be another good piece of documentation if you decide to use a lawyer.

Also SEMA might be a possible approach...

ok i'm confused here,maybe someone else posted this,but werent u in a canyon when it blew ,u heard a bang but still drove it out of the canyon because there was no where to pullover or was that someone else that posted that?

That is me...engine blew because the oil poured out of the engine. I did not keep everyone posted because I was trying to work it out with Accusump (as you can see they didn't response for six weeks). When the engine blew up the I had no idea the oil pressure was low. I was looking at the oil temp, engine temp, and the road. When the check engine light went off we pulled over...but that was too late, the engine had already went boom. As the guy at Accusump said, the check engine light does not go off until the oil pressure drops below 15 psi for 5 seconds. I never knew the oil pressure was the problem until we were stopped and oil was pouring out of the front end.

flchub said:

The gauge is so badly delayed that he wouldn't have known till it was too late.

RedSrt007 said:
The gauge is so badly delayed that he wouldn't have known till it was too late.

REally, how bad is the delay? I mean when ever i rev i almost instantly see the psi change on my guage..I've always heard about aftermarket guages being more accurate...

On a side note, I really think that accusump is a major overkill unless your running like 800hp pls turbo engine or do roadracing. not flaming, just imo....

FerrariTruck said:
REally, how bad is the delay? I mean when ever i rev i almost instantly see the psi change on my guage..I've always heard about aftermarket guages being more accurate...

On a side note, I really think that accusump is a major overkill unless your running like 800hp pls turbo engine or do roadracing. not flaming, just imo....

from what I have measured, 3-5 seconds....long enough to where you would NEVER notice it cruising throught the mountains. If you did, it would be too late by the time you noticed it :(

FerrariTruck said:

I added the Accusump when I added the Squires Turbo System (STS). I took off the STS and left the Accusump....my mistake. Who would have thought the thing that was going to destroy my engine didn't and the thing to save my engine destroyed it.

A little info for everyone - Oil press specs from Dodge service info...

45-75 psi @ 3000 rpms
10 psi @ idle

The low oil press indicator comes on below 6 psi. (GM's engines have similar specs)

The gen 3 viper engine has a gearrotor oil pump and it is widly known that the pump cavitates over 5000 RPMs.

Many good folks have done a very great amount of work to eliminate this problem with little or no success. (SRT-4 has the same style of pump with the same problems.)

Dodge is coming out with a revised gearrotor oil pump set up for the Gen 4 Vipers, I have heard that this might help that situation.

That is why many run an auxiliary / preoiling system such as an Accusump.

I have used Accusumps on many different engines with very good results in the past. This has usually doubled main bearing life on some of the BIG blown alcohol motors.

I will continue to run an Accusump on every HotRod I own that is not dry sumped.

I am very sorry that one of our members had a failure that aparently cost him an engine.

fight fight fight

Get them to fix that shit. THAT IS REDICULOUS. I hope you fight this and win. Do we need to start a collection for you?:mad:

CarDude said:
I added the Accusump when I added the Squires Turbo System (STS). I took off the STS and left the Accusump....my mistake. Who would have thought the thing that was going to destroy my engine didn't and the thing to save my engine destroyed it.

Ahh ha..Now that would be a very good reason to have added the accusump.. Ahh the irony... I really wish you the best of luck in getting them to pay for the damages... They may be able to cover their ass on paper, but I would like to see what they would do in person:mad:

wow:mad: :mad: ! i had know idea what a accusump was, till reading this, and i will promise you neither one of the above companies will ever see a penny from me until they take care of this!!!!!! i am very sorry for your loss, i know this in the perfomance mods section! but i will say this MARINES HAVE KILLED FOR LESS THEN THAT!! i hope you take them to court and kick the new motor out of them losers!!!! I NEED A BEER

Can you guys please help? If you do want to help you can tell Canton racing products that they are wrong. There is no other underlining story here where I misused the product…read the Sale Managers response. He said the valve failed…plain and simple. If you want to help you can email Canton at [email protected] I know I would appreciate it and so might someelse who is just thinking about buying this product and they have no idea it could fail.

**Newest update** I was told by an engineer at Farmington Engineering, the reseller of a EPC valve, used on the Accusump, that there have been "quite a few failures". They sent mine as well as many others to the manufacturer in Italy for diagnoses. I was unable to talk the Sales Manager at Farmington regarding these failures. I am sure it will be another person to "pass the buck". The valve Accusump is using in the Viper applications has a maximum pressure of 88.2 psi. I am assuming anything above that psi and the valves diaphrams fail. What happens after failure is a crap shoot, does the oil pour or does it drip, that may depend on the direction George W. Bush is standing at the time (since everything is his fault).

This is a legitimate complaint. I can understand Chrysler voiding out your warranty but Canton needs to own up to a inferior product. It sounds like you can throw in an accusation of false advertising as well. Don't you think you would be better off having a lawyer write a letter implying legal action will be taken if mediation can't resolvoe the issue? Also, file a ripoffreport, send it to them with the number of hits the site gets. The better business bureau is there to help you as well. I've used them for mediation and got more than I originally wanted. I just think that would be better for you than having those of us that haven't purchased the product bombard them with e-mails. But if that's what you want, I'll write away!

Last edited:
Thanks guys I am using all the ammo I have...

Here is my response to Canton....

Canton Racing Products Management,

Now that I have calmed down I will address your email in a more professional manner.

1. Your warranty is not a document for you to hide behind. Your product failed and cost me my engine, plain and simple. Ford Motor company's limited warranty didn't protect them from legal action when their product failed and cost people there lives. Ford had to pay even when the tires were purchased from Firestone. Just like in this case, you failed to act when you knew there was a problem. As Farmington has informed me, this is not the first failure; it (failure) has happened "quite a few times", to quote an engineer at Farmington. I don't care who sold you the parts...I purchased the final product from you.

2. You are correct the SRT10 engine has a normal range of around 70 psi, although it has spikes to 300 psi. The pressure bypass you referred to, is actually around 100 psi and it is a mechanical spring (so the precision is not there). The valve that you have chosen to use has a maximum psi range of 88.2 psi per its manufacturer's specs. Your negligent part selection is to blame here. You should immediately recall the part as it is in danger of costing you more than my engine. I am sure a class action law suit wouldn't be out of the question here. If you question my facts call Arrow Racing and ask for Todd (1-800-551-8477). They are the warranty rebuilder for all Viper motors. They dyno the engines before they return them for reinstallation into Vipers and SRT10 Rams. And finally the check engine light did go off, unfortunately the motor had already imploded. "A day late and a dollar short" as they say.

3. The vendor is not responsible as your pressure valve selection is to blame here.

I still fail to see why it took you six weeks to try and hiding behind your "limited warranty". If that is what you intended the entire time, you should have stated that up front, and not wasted my time. Your actions speak louder than words here, you know you are responsible. I hope you sleep well a night, knowing your are being dishonest. This is no way to run a business, except maybe into the ground. I did nothing wrong, except trust your reputation and install your system, which you designed for my application. If you continue down this road you will only be left with your parts, not your reputation.

I want the parts returned to me in the condition they were sent to you. I also want the results of the "test" that was run against the failed valve. I believe I paid for that test in full with my engine and my time you continue to waste. I want the full payment of my engine rebuild and all costs incurred due to your negligent inaction.

I bought one from Boomer and was going to install in my truck.....but Hennessey did not do the install and come to think of it He never gave it back to me either......O-Well I am glad he did not install after hearing this.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back