2008 Viper pics

Very Nice...I was lusting after more HP, but an extra 90 is going to be very strong. I wounder what the Corvette has in mind for '08? The '08 Viper may attract many of us...thanks for the site reference.

8.4 liter, nice

Check out that intake manifold, I wonder if it would work on our engines?

Bill.

Not sure if that intake will work- I don't think it will as rumor was the heads are different too. Looks like a cross between a Gen2 and Gen 3 intake. Looks like they moved the coils from under the intake too and have them sitting on top of the valve covers under those purty little plastic covers like a ------VETTE???????

Edit -

Here it is

"The Viper SRT10's 8.4-liter engine breathes through new cylinder heads equipped with Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC)-shaped combustion chambers, larger valves and Variable Valve Timing (VVT). VVT electronically adjusts when the exhaust valves are open and closed according to engine speed and load, allowing the engine to "breathe" cleaner and more efficiently."

Begood said:
Check out that intake manifold, I wonder if it would work on our engines?

Bill.
:burnout: That's the first thing I thought when I seen that... LOL:D

VVT? Thats the first time I heard of a high HP motor with that. Usually reserved for smaller motors (I-4 - V6) with higher revs I would think. Anyways, great to see the viper coupe will be the top of american sport cars. I have pics of the ACR viper concept for the 08, looks cool with the hood open for the individual intakes. I will try to post later.

The intake design definitely went back to the gen2 style of dual throttle bodies. is that electronic drive-wire though??!?!? eek...

They didn't mention anything about pistons, so is safe to believe they left the cast pistons in there..but they definitely improved the tranny!

Externally cooled tranny w/ 10% wide syncros and dual disk clutch's sound sshhhweeeet!

-Red

womsterr said:
Not sure if that intake will work- I don't think it will as rumor was the heads are different too. Looks like a cross between a Gen2 and Gen 3 intake. Looks like they moved the coils from under the intake too and have them sitting on top of the valve covers under those purty little plastic covers like a ------VETTE???????

Edit -

Here it is

"The Viper SRT10's 8.4-liter engine breathes through new cylinder heads equipped with Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC)-shaped combustion chambers, larger valves and Variable Valve Timing (VVT). VVT electronically adjusts when the exhaust valves are open and closed according to engine speed and load, allowing the engine to "breathe" cleaner and more efficiently."

As most of you already know I have a family member that is a engineer for chrysler and had all of this info over a year ago and posted it. The intake will not fit our cars and neither will the heads. The block has been changed to handle the 8.4litres new found power. If the final production engine is like the one they were testing then the car will be 650 hp in production form. If the bean counters get there way it will be 600hp.

The heads that have been tested are the same configuration as the 6.1 hemi engine. The first heads were a direct bolt on to our gen 3 engines but there has been alot of changes in the last year.

I told ya :)
Steve Austin

Steve Austin said:
As most of you already know I have a family member that is a engineer for chrysler and had all of this info over a year ago and posted it. The intake will not fit our cars and neither will the heads. The block has been changed to handle the 8.4litres new found power. If the final production engine is like the one they were testing then the car will be 650 hp in production form. If the bean counters get there way it will be 600hp.

Looks like the bean counters got to it or they will release a 650hp version later. My link showed a press release from Dodge annoucing 600hp.

They may be keeping the extra 50HP under hat until they see Chevrolet's response with the Corvette.

Will

I was reading over on the VCA or Viper Alley (can't remember which?) about an SS Vette having something like 650hp @ 2,900 lbs.

Regardless, 600 or 650, if they can get traction, they could possibly be 10 second cars, with warranties!:rock: :rock:

I'm not sure chevy can squeeze much more outa that z06 engine... at some point the old rule (there's no replacement for displacement) will win out...

Imo dodge needs to redesign the viper completely and come to some balance between speed and handling perhaps a mid-rear engine car with all wheel drive and traction control.. They also need more creature features like the vette has..

the gt40 is the best sports car that america has ever put out imo and it's a flippin ford :|......

I drove a viper for a few days and was less than impressed, they need to start from scratch... or if not, I'd like to see them build a rally car like the evo or wrx/sti V10 all wheel drive 4 door sedan from HELL... yes please :D

GT40 also costs as much as 2 Vipers, it doesn’t do enough for me for what it costs, and at this point now its slower than the New Viper that costs 50K less average. I don’t see a problem. This car is not a new Generation Viper obviously its just a Major engine upgrade for the Most part. Dodge is conservative about how they attack the Super Car Market, and the Viper has proven that year after year. New car in 2003 and Now the first engine Changes are gonna be 5 years later LOL. I cant blame them since it doesn’t bring in the bucks. If Dogde putt half the effort into the Viper as Chevy does with the Vett, we might see a 750horse power Viper by now. At this point its obvious Chevy and Ford are just lucky Dodge doesn’t try haha!

But Im racist, so.

In my honest and mechanically declined opinion, Im guessing the challenge was to raise torque especially with this type of intake. They did a great job and I am more than satisfied with this new motor. Im guessing the shorter runner distance would make the intake see advantages with forced induction, but I couldn’t see why you would want this intake on a N/A truck...

Last edited:
rather than going on about what a pos i think the viper is let me use a different case in point

Chevy had it RIGHT when they built the typhoon/scyclone... it was the fastest production vehicle they made for those years (i think) (89-90?)... it was an all wheel drive truck... it had the BEST of both worlds... speed and handling (for a truck)... I don't know why they ditched it nor do i understand why ford and dodge didn't follow suit on that design... the point is, they atleast had some engineering involved with that vehicle... with both handling AND speed in mind... the viper is basically dodge throwing the biggest f'in engine they could build and throw it in a car... bam... done... wtf??:confused:

I see lots of 05 vipers still sitting on the lots not because the z06 kicked their ass, not because they're overpriced it's because they're straight line musclecars.....they think adding horsepower is going to put them back over the vette?? how about they fix the car and stop throwing horsepower at it.... all the horsepower in the world doesn't mean jack if it's not managable by your every day driver

Last edited:
tidnab said:
I'm not sure chevy can squeeze much more outa that z06 engine... at some point the old rule (there's no replacement for displacement) will win out...

Supercharged LS7. Are you still not sure?

tidnab said:
rather than going on about what a pos i think the viper is let me use a different case in point

Chevy had it RIGHT when they built the typhoon/scyclone... it was the fastest production vehicle they made for those years (i think) (89-90?)... it was an all wheel drive truck... it had the BEST of both worlds... speed and handling (for a truck)... I don't know why they ditched it

91 Syclone
92/92 Typhoon

Syclone was quickest in the 1/4 mile, except for the ZR1 Vette. Typhoon was about a 1/2 second slower than the Sy.

Both Sy and Ty were limited to 126mph from the factory, so they certainly were not the fastest as far as top speed.

Couldn't tow at all. Couldn't haul more than 500 lbs. without risking drivetrain damage.

Both trucks were good ideas from GMC, but they had their problems. More of an image vehicle - I doubt GMC made any real money on them. I purchased my Syclone in March 1992 for 19,600. Stickered at 26,120.

Here's a pic of my truck I never get tired of looking at. :)

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back