4.56 gears used

will these easily swap into an 04 cuz i kno yours is an 06 but does that matter:dontknow:

ViperPunk said:
will these easily swap into an 04 cuz i kno yours is an 06 but does that matter:dontknow:
on a normal dana 60 the answer would be no, but in the case of our axles I believe they will if not mistaken

SrtBrad said:
Trainman's 04 has the 456 gears. I don't know how the install went but I'm pretty sure it's a direct replacement.

There is a set of 4.56 gears that will bolt in as a direct replacement on a carrier that originally had 4.10s.

Normally without these special gears the 4.56s will not work on a 4.10 or below carrier.

There are two seperate carriers (positraction units) one is for 4.10 gears and below, the other is for 4.56 gears and above. This is due to the differing thickness of the ring gears used in relation to pinion gear size.

Unless you have the special 4.56s you cannot use them in a rear end that came with 4.10s without changing the carrier (positraction unit).

Years ago there were ring gear spacers that were available to use the higher numerical ratio gears in a lower numerical rear end for the 10 and 12 bolt Chevelle rear ends.
I used this method to put 4.56 gears in a 12 bolt Chevelle rear end that I had in a built 66 Tri power 442. This worked well for about a year of hard street use and lots of 1/4 mile passes at Carlsbad. Eventually the bolts that bolted through the carrier, spacer and ring gear failed and the rear end granaded at the 1969 KGB Drag festival at Carlsbad, in the final.
I don't know if replacing the bolts at regular intervals would have prevented the failure, but it probably would have.
I don't know if such a spacer is available for the Dana 60. If it is, that might be a way to put higer gears on a carrier made for lower gears ie 4.10 and below.

Jack, I think the 4:56 and the 4:10's use the same carrier. The 4:88's need a different one. Stinker will know for sure.

FATJACK said:
Jack, I think the 4:56 and the 4:10's use the same carrier. The 4:88's need a different one. Stinker will know for sure.

Jack the cutoff is between 4.10 and 4.56.

The 4.10 and below and 4.56 and above.

There are some 4.56 gears available that can be used with a 4.10 and below carrier but they are not the standard gears that come in the trucks stock.

FSTJACK said:
Jack the cutoff is between 4.10 and 4.56.

The 4.10 and below and 4.56 and above.
I used a 4:10 carrier with my 4:56 gear same part #. I had to change my carrier when I busted my first set of spider gears, damged the carrier too!

Stinker said:
a factory oem 4.10 and 4.56 will interchange, but they have to be oem, they are machined to work with either

Thank you for the info...........

I learned something today.;)

FSTJACK said:
There is a set of 4.56 gears that will bolt in as a direct replacement on a carrier that originally had 4.10s.

Normally without these special gears the 4.56s will not work on a 4.10 or below carrier.

There are two seperate carriers (positraction units) one is for 4.10 gears and below, the other is for 4.56 gears and above. This is due to the differing thickness of the ring gears used in relation to pinion gear size.

Unless you have the special 4.56s you cannot use them in a rear end that came with 4.10s without changing the carrier (positraction unit).

Years ago there were ring gear spacers that were available to use the higher numerical ratio gears in a lower numerical rear end for the 10 and 12 bolt Chevelle rear ends.
I used this method to put 4.56 gears in a 12 bolt Chevelle rear end that I had in a built 66 Tri power 442. This worked well for about a year of hard street use and lots of 1/4 mile passes at Carlsbad. Eventually the bolts that bolted through the carrier, spacer and ring gear failed and the rear end granaded at the 1969 KGB Drag festival at Carlsbad, in the final.
I don't know if replacing the bolts at regular intervals would have prevented the failure, but it probably would have.
I don't know if such a spacer is available for the Dana 60. If it is, that might be a way to put higer gears on a carrier made for lower gears ie 4.10 and below.
this is very correct with a "normal" locker, posi unit, or any normal carrier,
and not sure what dodge did , but as long as its oem carrier, and gear, they are supposed to be able to swap

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back