4.88 in there

Ironhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well broght it home after a long ordeal getting gears in there ,,been babing it to get break in mile down ,,but even driving it easy you can realy tell a diff ,,,a few more breakin miles and i will know the real deal ,,
But early report is all i can say isDONT FEAR THE GEAR

Greg Z said:
Congrats. Can't wait till they break in. I'm thinking I need gears bad.

hey if you want i got the dif and gears i took out,, its a set of 456 ,,ill make you a hell of a deal !

id love to wait and see how you like the 4.88s but if no one wants the 4.56s will they be much difference drivability from 4.10s?

4.88's are the poop!!!!! just gun it! i did about 120 miles of break in. where unitracs calls for about 60-70. you'll be good if you're over those numbers

Streetgliderx said:
id love to wait and see how you like the 4.88s but if no one wants the 4.56s will they be much difference drivability from 4.10s?

10% increase in torque/acceleration.

Rice Eater said:
IronHead....sent you a PM....very interested in gears!

Dude I thought you weren't gonna be spending any money on the truck. Just NOS refills since you're now engaged. I guess that plan flew out the window :D

Once and friggen for all, WHAT are the pros and cons between 4.10's, 4.56's and 4.88's? I never got an answer.

Because I have a feeling James is going to burn more gas with his 4.88's.. Although it's probably better for the 1/8th mile track (if I'm not mistaken) we're going to have more frequent gas stops on the way to Macon. Also, doesn't the 4.88's hurt the top end speed?

if you remember as we went to pc every time we stoped at a hlf tank to refill we were both in the same range ,,give ot take a mile or so i had 456 in mine before and im gone to 488 it is bigger but not by much as for top end on an r/c is 155 or somthing like that i dought i will ever try to get there any way but from 0 to 120 i will eat thier shorts for lunch ,,just diving around town i have seen a increase in milage just cause i can get into 6th gear a bit sooner ,,,before i had to get to 55 or so to get into 6th now i can get there just a tick over 50 and i dont have to down shift so much in traffic ,,,still babying it right now

Venom Power said:
Once and friggen for all, WHAT are the pros and cons between 4.10's, 4.56's and 4.88's? I never got an answer.

Antnee, Best comparison I have heard is it makes your truck feel 1000 lbs. lighter, obviously it it going to affect your gas mileage if you drive at interstate speeds a lot.

Griff went fron 4.10's to 4.88's and the difference is DRAMATIC, you would hardly believe it is the same truck...:rock: :rock: :rock:

Here's something to think about for those of you wanting to go to 4.88 gears if you plan on Legal 1/4 mile drag racing. The best tire available at this time is the M&H 390-40-17 Drag radial and it is 29.5 inches tall. Our stock tire 305-40-22 is 31.5 inches tall. The 4.88 should feel real great around town if you can get traction....but here is what the limitations are....with the drag radial installed and 4.88 gears your top speed in 4th gear @ 6000 rpm is limited to 107.34. I know a lot of you guys say you won't go over 5500 rpm so that limits 4th gear to a speed of 98.89 with 4.88 and 390-40-17 drag radials. Most of you know that I have a 2004 RC and I have gone to 4.56 gears. I have a stock engine with headers and a tune. On drag radials I have clocked a best speed of 111.31 mph which is 5,782 rpm in 4th with 4.56 gears. If I had 4.88 gears I would have to shift into 5th gear to finish the 1/4 mile....not good.

Trainman said:
Here's something to think about for those of you wanting to go to 4.88 gears if you plan on Legal 1/4 mile drag racing. The best tire available at this time is the M&H 390-40-17 Drag radial and it is 29.5 inches tall. Our stock tire 305-40-22 is 31.5 inches tall. The 4.88 should feel real great around town if you can get traction....but here is what the limitations are....with the drag radial installed and 4.88 gears your top speed in 4th gear @ 6000 rpm is limited to 107.34. I know a lot of you guys say you won't go over 5500 rpm so that limits 4th gear to a speed of 98.89 with 4.88 and 390-40-17 drag radials. Most of you know that I have a 2004 RC and I have gone to 4.56 gears. I have a stock engine with headers and a tune. On drag radials I have clocked a best speed of 111.31 mph which is 5,782 rpm in 4th with 4.56 gears. If I had 4.88 gears I would have to shift into 5th gear to finish the 1/4 mile....not good.

:congrats: :congrats: ;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back