4.88 in there

Trainman said:
Here's something to think about for those of you wanting to go to 4.88 gears if you plan on Legal 1/4 mile drag racing. The best tire available at this time is the M&H 390-40-17 Drag radial and it is 29.5 inches tall. Our stock tire 305-40-22 is 31.5 inches tall. The 4.88 should feel real great around town if you can get traction....but here is what the limitations are....with the drag radial installed and 4.88 gears your top speed in 4th gear @ 6000 rpm is limited to 107.34. I know a lot of you guys say you won't go over 5500 rpm so that limits 4th gear to a speed of 98.89 with 4.88 and 390-40-17 drag radials. Most of you know that I have a 2004 RC and I have gone to 4.56 gears. I have a stock engine with headers and a tune. On drag radials I have clocked a best speed of 111.31 mph which is 5,782 rpm in 4th with 4.56 gears. If I had 4.88 gears I would have to shift into 5th gear to finish the 1/4 mile....not good.
:D thats why i have 26" tires with my 4.10's, 4th gear@6000 is 113.2mph:D

Trainman said:
Here's something to think about for those of you wanting to go to 4.88 gears if you plan on Legal 1/4 mile drag racing. The best tire available at this time is the M&H 390-40-17 Drag radial and it is 29.5 inches tall. Our stock tire 305-40-22 is 31.5 inches tall. The 4.88 should feel real great around town if you can get traction....but here is what the limitations are....with the drag radial installed and 4.88 gears your top speed in 4th gear @ 6000 rpm is limited to 107.34. I know a lot of you guys say you won't go over 5500 rpm so that limits 4th gear to a speed of 98.89 with 4.88 and 390-40-17 drag radials. Most of you know that I have a 2004 RC and I have gone to 4.56 gears. I have a stock engine with headers and a tune. On drag radials I have clocked a best speed of 111.31 mph which is 5,782 rpm in 4th with 4.56 gears. If I had 4.88 gears I would have to shift into 5th gear to finish the 1/4 mile....not good.

That's fine and dandy, but for those that use their 10's on a daily basis 4.88's will be tons of fun. I'm currently debating on 4.88's or 4.56's. Part of me knows the 4.88's are going to be a blast, and I'd probably be a lot happier driving with the 4.88's. My M&H slicks are 30.5 tall it won't hurt the top end too much when going to the traps, and if its really bad I got a good alway go MT slick 33.0 tall.

I guess I kinda made up my mind. As soon as I have the funds this will probably be my next mod.

Last edited:
well i see might near no intrerstate drivin, longest track we have here is actually 20ft shy of a true 1/8th and i never get to use 6th anyhow..... my real delima lies within anothe 4.88 post on here about how he just blows the tires up in 1,2,3 with 4.88s i blow them up with 4.10s EASY! but in all my other raceing experience i always learned dropping gears resulted in slower wheel speed in said trans gear which hooked up better..... some one with 4.10 to 4.88s confirm this? and my truck sees 95% town and street ability with about 2% drag strip and 3% Interstate...

last ? where is it best to have the gears done? Dealer or rear end shop? cause my local ass end shop here is a real d**k head

LitemUp with 4.88 and your 30.5 inch tall slicks you will be at about 111.6 @ 6000 rpm and since you are supercharged and have a lot more power than I do, I would look into the taller slicks or you will be bouncing on the rev limiter like a ricer going through the traps.

blah blah blah ,,i personally dont give a damn if anyone likes or dislikes my install of 488,s,,i did it cause i wanted to and all the bull snit figures to me dont mean crap ,,its my BIG ASSOMETER THAT COUNTS TO ME

I don't dislike your 4.88's Ironhead...like I said they are great for the street, but I just wanted people to be aware of the consequences if they want to run the quarter mile on anything other than their street tires. I'm glad you like the 4.88's , I was just stating that they wouldn't work for me. Plus ...when I have the M&H's on my truck its like haveng 4.88's installed at the strip. So we agree.......

Last edited:
Duh,,, i have DR,s for track too ,,and you can say its the same as 488 but you have no idea till you pound the pavement with dr,s or without DR,s,with the 488,,its a big diff

DONT FEAR THE GEAR

next mods ported and polished heads and intake ,,fatjacks old nos setup ,calvue mirrows,blacked out taillights ,woodys Dpic and steering wheel pod ,uconnect ipod setup,,changing from volaint CAI ,to a K/N CAI with a jmb catch can

Last edited:
Trainman said:
I don't dislike your 4.88's Ironhead...like I said they are great for the street, but I just wanted people to be aware of the consequences if they want to run the quarter mile on anything other than their street tires. I'm glad you like the 4.88's , I was just stating that they wouldn't work for me. Plus ...when I have the M&H's on my truck its like haveng 4.88's installed at the strip. So we agree.......

You are correct Trainman...at the end of the quarter with 4.88's and smaller slicks or DR's you will be hitting the rev limiter or having to make an extra shift...

Prof said:
You are correct Trainman...at the end of the quarter with 4.88's and smaller slicks or DR's you will be hitting the rev limiter or having to make an extra shift...

Correcto as usual prof.........and Iron, nobody was downing the 4.88s....if I was a lot less modded and only ran a 1/8 track I would jump on the 4.88s.....but like Trainman said they would drop my ET due to shifting a 5th time and into an OD gear...:)

hang on let me get my umbrella so i wont get wet from everyone raining on my picnic

Ironhead said:
hang on let me get my umbrella so i wont get wet from everyone raining on my picnic

Nobody raining on you bro....as with most threads member here post info based on different views....that is what makes this site a great place to learn....I am happy you are enjoying the 4.88s....If my situation was different I would have already had them.......I believe you are coming to Macon...I look forward to seeing you wind her down the track..:)

TNVIPER said:
Correcto as usual prof.........and Iron, nobody was downing the 4.88s....if I was a lot less modded and only ran a 1/8 track I would jump on the 4.88s.....but like Trainman said they would drop my ET due to shifting a 5th time and into an OD gear...:)
you would scatter your transmission guaranteed

Trainman said:

We don't need nuttin out you but some shiftin :p :p :D :rock: :rock: :rock: :congrats: AND some in cab video :D

Ironhead said:
blah blah blah ,,i personally dont give a damn if anyone likes or dislikes my install of 488,s,,i did it cause i wanted to and all the bull snit figures to me dont mean crap ,,its my BIG ASSOMETER THAT COUNTS TO ME

If I were a psychologist (which I'm not), I might think that post means just the opposite of what you say. You do too care :p :p ;) ;) :D

Most people like their 4.88's :)

Okay, that is some really great info guys. I was asking because I am interested in 4.88's too. I don't use slicks, in fact, I never track her. I just cruise on street trim as a daily driver. But if a mod would make her feel about 1k lighter without screwing with my gas mileage too much, with quicker trips between traffic lights, hey I'm down for the swap. I mean, I don't want James having ALL the fun around H-town alone.;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back