40 Horsepower LOSS with SCT Tuner

FATJACK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really thought I should put this in offensive because I am a bit upset with having spent 500.00 to lose 40 HP.
Possibly someone a lot smarter than me can explain this....
Saturday, Had the truck on the Dyno-Jet with Martys 93 tune, numbers were 419rwhp with no nitrous and 569 rwhp with a 150 shot of nitrous.
Today, on the same dyno, back to the stock tune on the SCT it made 455 rwhp with no nitrous and 602 rwhp with the same 150 shot of nitrous.
Everything I see says if I spend 5000.00 more dollars on my truck it won't have enough power to pull itself out of the driveway. F**K I knew I shouda put this in OFFENSIVE:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Uhoh.. That can't be good. If that's the case it's a good thing you still had the ability to switch back to stock until gets cleared up.

The only thing I can think of is, I've always heard that you don't want to advance timing when your shooting nitrous. You need to pull timing. That may be why you had better numbers with the stock tune.:dontknow:

SilvrSRT10 said:
The only thing I can think of is, I've always heard that you don't want to advance timing when your shooting nitrous. You need to pull timing. That may be why you had better numbers with the stock tune.:dontknow:

I agree, but still 36 hp more on stock tune WITHOUT nitrous.:( :(

thats more than likely your problem your adding to much timing... i know when i had my hemi tuned for nitrous i had a superchips tuner.. and i made more power with the nitrous with the superchips not installed..... get it to a dyno and get it dyno tuned yoiu can get your 40+ hp back and prob more

i had the same problem, the sct guy could never figure it out. but get up with sean maybe he can help.

your only putting down in the mid 400's with a 150 shot...with a 150 shot you should be at 550rwhp+

nevermind...you fixed it!!!

Last edited:
FATJACK said:
I agree, but still 36 hp more on stock tune WITHOUT nitrous.:( :(
Oh, I thought your original post said you were shooting nitrous both times.

Get some dyno time, coordinate with Sean...he can tune it via the internet and the phone.

Marty's 93 tune only works on REAL good gas....

Could be some kind of freak A/F ratio issue too.... :dontknow: BE CAREFUL. I don't care how good a tuner is, they need to tune YOUR vehicle, NOT just "fudge it" and send you a tune.

Black1 said:

Could be some kind of freak A/F ratio issue too.... :dontknow: BE CAREFUL. I don't care how good a tuner is, they need to tune YOUR vehicle, NOT just "fudge it" and send you a tune.
Thats right Jake,Marty tuned my truck both times he was there doing the work,thats how I got 465rwhp and 510rwtq.on just a 55 shot of nitrous.

Black1 said:

It's this exact reason I haven't gone forward with an SCT Tuner (plus I is a broke mofo!:D) My mind is still stuck in my LS1 days when I had a laptop, and tuning/datalogging software. I squeezed every ounce of HP out of the thing.

Someone needs to do this with Viper engine/PCM.

Til then Jack (and Mark), I think you (two) need to call Sean Roe. ;)

Roz-SRT said:
It's this exact reason I haven't gone forward with an SCT Tuner (plus I is a broke mofo!:D) My mind is still stuck in my LS1 days when I had a laptop, and tuning/datalogging software. I squeezed every ounce of HP out of the thing.

Someone needs to do this with Viper engine/PCM.
you can do that with a vec:dontknow: :dontknow:

505'sFastestViper. said:
you can do that with a vec:dontknow: :dontknow:

Can you? I was always told you could not. Why does the VEC have a card reader?

I'm used to simply plugging a cable into the diagnostic port and going to down. I used LS1-Edit to "edit" the PCM tune. Then used AutoTAP to log data to verify the tune loaded into the PCM did what it was supposed to do. . .

Sure you can do it with a VEC...When you change the tune you re-program and re-make the card...then change the tune via the card reader.

Roz-SRT said:
Can you? I was always told you could not. Why does the VEC have a card reader?

I'm used to simply plugging a cable into the diagnostic port and going to down. I used LS1-Edit to "edit" the PCM tune. Then used AutoTAP to log data to verify the tune loaded into the PCM did what it was supposed to do. . .

You can do it ewith the VEC, but I believe that is a piggy back system. It does'nt overwrite the existing tune in the PCM, it just sends it wrong readings like the old school chips. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Prof said:
Sure you can do it with a VEC...When you change the tune you re-program and re-make the card...then change the tune via the card reader.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I've watch mmmmtorque whip out his laptop while his truck was on the dyno and make adjustments to his VEC. Don't know all the little details about what he was doing. He's kind of secretive but it made a difference.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back