40 Horsepower LOSS with SCT Tuner

Dang....I paid Marty good money to screw your tune Jack..:argh: ..........you guys are just learning the hard way....just like I did....call Sean Jack....I dont want no excuses when i blow you off the track Nov 22...:D

My tune from Marty has plus and minuses. I still ping on the 91 octane and have not tried the 93 octane tune of the second tune he sent me. I do like the lower temps and the seat of the pants feel and less popping on deceleration. It is better then th stock tune IMO but it could be better.

walenator said:
My tune from Marty has plus and minuses. I still ping on the 91 octane and have not tried the 93 octane tune of the second tune he sent me. I do like the lower temps and the seat of the pants feel and less popping on deceleration. It is better then th stock tune IMO but it could be better.

(. . . . And where were YOU this past weekend???! :) )

TNVIPER said:
Dang....I paid Marty good money to screw your tune Jack..:argh: ..........you guys are just learning the hard way....just like I did....call Sean Jack....I dont want no excuses when i blow you off the track Nov 22...:D

The only way you will BLOW ME off that track will be with my zipper down.:D :D :D :D

FATJACK said:
The only way you will BLOW ME off that track will be with my zipper down.:D :D :D :D

comment-friday-damn.jpg

Roz-SRT said:
(. . . . And where were YOU this past weekend???! :) )
Working every minute on overtime to pay for my roof which needed replacing to the tune of 7500 bucks. I need some truck time, but other crap seems to take priority.

walenator said:
Working every minute on overtime to pay for my roof which needed replacing to the tune of 7500 bucks. I need some truck time, but other crap seems to take priority.

I know the feeling. Good luck with the new roof!! The price of roof felt has gone through the roof! (no pun intended) I think it'll come back down since gas has.

Maybe you can make it to Macon next month . . ?

Silverback said:
I will probably piss some folks off, but what the hell.

Ordering a mail order tune is kind of like a mail order bride. You don't know that the hell you will get.

The trucks are different and can respond differently to the same mods. What works in one climate will not work the same in a different climate. Same for different elevations.

It may be a great starting point, but it has to be dialed in.

I had that happen with the BG Stage II,didn't give me the numbers I was expecting,sold it !!!Tried another BG a few months later,and much different numbers,Go Figure !!After some of the stories I've heard about the SCT,I think I'd just have to pass on it !!!Not worth the money IMHO !!!:dontknow:

I think it is a crap shoot weather you get a good tune for your truck unless your tuner is working with your truck on a dyno. I lost hp with Marty's SCT tune but gained it back with Sean's tune. Both were mail order. I plan on getting my truck tuned while on the dyno. Just got to wait for the right time and person. This appears to be something personal with our trucks and if it worked good for you on the first time consider yourself lucky (or you can go with the ignorance is bliss theory)

amtrucker22 said:
I think it is a crap shoot weather you get a good tune for your truck unless your tuner is working with your truck on a dyno. I lost hp with Marty's SCT tune but gained it back with Sean's tune. Both were mail order. I plan on getting my truck tuned while on the dyno. Just got to wait for the right time and person. This appears to be something personal with our trucks and if it worked good for you on the first time consider yourself lucky (or you can go with the ignorance is bliss theory)

Getting a mail order tune is like playing Russian Roulette..... with ANY vehicle.... Have a qualified, VETTED tech dyno YOUR vehicle and tune it on the spot. Otherwise, you will be at SERIOUS risk of blowing your motor.

DevilDawg3097 said:
you can do it with the sct too just call and ask for the racer package its $349 w/o the tuner already order mine but in the mean time sean can hook you up he gave 2 regular tunes w/o nos and 1 tune for when I use the nos. The when I installed the s/c sean tune my truck from the numbers he got when he was out here fax him those numbers and will fix you right up. Big difference in the Roe tune:D

My SCT has Marty's tunes but I'd like to see how Sean's do after I get some baselines. I'll call later, but are you saying it's $349 just for the tunes, not including the tuner? Does that include "lifetime" tunes, i.e. re-writes for tweaks, additional mods, etc.? Without the tuner that's pretty steep; I got an SCT for my turbo-diesel Ford 6.0 Excursion with tunes written by THE premiere tuner for Ford diesels (Eric @ Innovative Diesel, is anyone cares) for $479 with 3 tunes with unlimited lifetime re-writes...

Don't get me wrong, Sean's rep is outstanding; I'm just looking for some information before I pull the trigger...

I do not know Marty. But anytime you get a generic tune from anyone for a performance vehicle it is a pretty risky move especially if you do not have a forged bottom end. I presume that these generic tunes are pretty conservative for safety sake. If they are not they could be down right dangerous.

Tuning is not a precise science it is part art and experience. I saw Sean and Norm Brandes work over my tune for two hours one day and then three more hours on the next...then on the drive home Sean pulled his laptop out and tweeked the tune a little more several times (from sounds!!!). In several WOT sprints on the highway he heard a ping or two at specific rpm's that he was able to stop with slight air/fuel adjustments. I could not hear a thing!

We have said this for a long time...Good Tune = Zoom...Bad Tune = Boom.

Do not spare the dollars at the point of tuning...use the best tuner you can afford and spend all the time they need to get it as good as possible. And then things can still blow up...such is the world of modified engines...the world most of us love.

jack you have your dyno runs. send them to sean he will get you straightened out.

eddie102870 said:
jack you have your dyno runs. send them to sean he will get you straightened out.

I have both sheets (his/mine) Somebody was supppose to come by last night (ROZ) and get them, my scanner is broke.... I will get them up today...... :D

GriffsSRT said:
I have both sheets (his/mine) Somebody was supppose to come by last night (ROZ) and get them, my scanner is broke.... I will get them up today...... :D
you cant find good help these days:D

Not sure if anyone has asked, I don't think so but did you make contact or try to sort this out with Marty himself prior to posting this? (Ie: give him a chance to tune it from your first dyno run?) just seems fair is all. I have Seans SCT/Tune and gave him my local NZ gas and it's true octane levels, my local climate and elevation, etc, etc, so I consider my tune a great "mail order bride", a blonde Russian. No problems with mine although it's not "whoa!!!" all exaggerated like, but it is cooler and has a cleaner/smoother idle + seat of the pants is much better.

0.02c

Ronin said:
My SCT has Marty's tunes but I'd like to see how Sean's do after I get some baselines. I'll call later, but are you saying it's $349 just for the tunes, not including the tuner? Does that include "lifetime" tunes, i.e. re-writes for tweaks, additional mods, etc.? Without the tuner that's pretty steep; I got an SCT for my turbo-diesel Ford 6.0 Excursion with tunes written by THE premiere tuner for Ford diesels (Eric @ Innovative Diesel, is anyone cares) for $479 with 3 tunes with unlimited lifetime re-writes...

Don't get me wrong, Sean's rep is outstanding; I'm just looking for some information before I pull the trigger...
you need the tuner you have the racer package is the software the roe krc and everyone else uses but the differance is yours will be model specific 04 or 05 and you will be able to right your tunes. also write for 04's also.

hey jack you ever dyno it with the old setup i got on your truck ,,,just curious as to what numbers were on yours before i install it on mine ;)

Ironhead said:
hey jack you ever dyno it with the old setup i got on your truck ,,,just curious as to what numbers were on yours before i install it on mine ;)

Yep, basically, but may be a little confusing.

Mine dynoed 426 rwhp and the nitrous added 95 rwhp for a total of 521 BUT
Without the tune it dynoed 455 rwhp add 95 to that you should be around 550 rwhp. Zoom Zoom....:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back