48re solenoid upgrade update

Stinker said:
bo, i think a valve body upgrade is awesome, but I dont think its the root of the problem,

I dont know, I guess i have just seen soooo many vendors and non vendors pop in here and take a ton of money from guys and then dissapear to never be seen again i just get a little protective;)

if I screw up, ya'll can yell at me all over the forum, but its hard to yell at somebody not here:argh: :argh:

I understand your concern and it is appreciated. If this works then great. I never would throw it back at you to say I told you so if that was the case. I know you are trying to look out for the forum. I don't think this guy Dusty is a Charlatan. I think he is a trans guy who likes these trucks and Mopars and wants to see them perform correctly.

WOT said:
It's not the TV cable - I know how to adjust it. Plus the dealer just put the tranny back in and would have had to adjust it. Plus, a misadjusted TV cable won't cause it to go back and forth between 1 and 2. It will just make it shift really late and firm at part throttle (too tight) or shift really early at mid throttle and slip going into 3rd (too loose). Thanks though.

So, anyone else know what causes the 1-2-1-2-1-2 at light throttle?

Here's my experience with the 1-2 shift,my tranny worked very well no problems,then I did a tranny service myself,I followed the DIY section on it,and then after I may not have the adjustment on the side on he tranny bang on and now it will downshift with just 1/4 throttle and before it was 3/4+ throttle,so I'm woundering if just an incorrect setting is causing this issue too?

SlvrSnake said:
I understand your concern and it is appreciated. If this works then great. I never would throw it back at you to say I told you so if that was the case. I know you are trying to look out for the forum. I don't think this guy Dusty is a Charlatan. I think he is a trans guy who likes these trucks and Mopars and wants to see them perform correctly.
LOLOL trust me , if it works bo, i am liable to fly out and give the ol bugger a hug:D

SlvrSnake said:
Valve body problems cause this. I had the same issue with a previous transmission and that exact problem (as well as others) started when the dealer put a new valve body on. I believe it is communication port issues. Could also be associated with governor pressure solenoid getting gunked up. The solenoid is a $48 dollar piece. Wouldn't hurt to swap it out and see if it is any better.

Like I said in my previous post: I just got mine back from the stealership and they flushed out the entire tranny, replaced 5 direct clutch discs, the kickdown band, the governor solenoid, cleaned the valve body, put a seal kit in (all internal seals and gaskets), and changed the fluid and filter.

So, the govenor solenoid was replaced and it still does the light throttle 1-2-1-2-1-2.

Yellow venom said:
Here's my experience with the 1-2 shift,my tranny worked very well no problems,then I did a tranny service myself,I followed the DIY section on it,and then after I may not have the adjustment on the side on he tranny bang on and now it will downshift with just 1/4 throttle and before it was 3/4+ throttle,so I'm woundering if just an incorrect setting is causing this issue too?

An incorrectly set TV cable will cause it to downshift early or upshift late, or vice versa (depending on if its too tight, or too loose). But, it will not cause it to shift back and forth between 1 and 2 over and over again at low speed and light throttle.

Last edited:
If it was too loose (loose enough to rattle back and forth) or disconnected, I could see it causing this since the tranny thinks you're moving the throttle.
:dontknow:

WOT said:
An incorrectly set TV cable will cause it to downshift early or upshift late, or vice versa (depending on if its too tight, or too loose). But, it will not cause it to shift back and forth between 1 and 2 over and over again at low speed and light throttle.

HaroldD said:
If it was too loose (loose enough to rattle back and forth) or disconnected, I could see it causing this since the tranny thinks you're moving the throttle.

I doubt that this could happen as it is spring loaded (lightly, but still it can't really rattle around enough to make it do what you are describing).

So, just to be clear: my TV cable is not misadjusted. That is not my problem. What I am looking for is information on what other items could possibly cause the 1-2-1-2 shifting. If you are thinking it is a misadjusted TV cable, it's not. That is not what is causing this in my case.

So, anyone know what might be causing it? My guess is cross communication in the valve body such as suggested by SlvrSnake. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what they say.

(p.s. my TV cable is not misadjusted, lol).

Last edited:
WOT said:
Like I said in my previous post: I just got mine back from the stealership and they flushed out the entire tranny, replaced 5 direct clutch discs, the kickdown band, the governor solenoid, cleaned the valve body, put a seal kit in (all internal seals and gaskets), and changed the fluid and filter.

So, the govenor solenoid was replaced and it still does the light throttle 1-2-1-2-1-2.

I have never touched my tv cable so that is not the case for me,only a service and adjustment,and mine downshifts with light throttle just like yours and you just had bands replaces so they would have adjusted them too. :dontknow: Where is the adjustment for the kickdown band? Is that the one at the front drivers side above the linkage??

FlyingLow said:
Have you checked the TV cable?

Hey thanks, I'll try that next -- it never occurred to me. If that doesn't work, I'll see if there is maybe a satellite cable I can adjust, lol.

Time to call Dusty.....

Just got back from the dealer. The first thing he said is that maybe it could be improved a bit by adjusting the TV cable. I just smiled.

He is ordering a new valve body. He thinks there may be a valve sticking the in the valve body making it shift erratically.

Time to call Dusty....

WOT said:
Just got back from the dealer. The first thing he said is that maybe it could be improved a bit by adjusting the TV cable. I just smiled.

He is ordering a new valve body. He thinks there may be a valve sticking the in the valve body making it shift erratically.

Time to call Dusty....

Sounds like a PC problem solution. Did you reboot? Trans not shifting right. Did you adjust the TV cable?? :D :D :p :p

Well, dealer replaced the valve body, and guess what? It is doing the exact same thing. I wonder why they even bother. I am so sick of this transmission. I have lost my faith in Dodge. How could there possibly be so many of these trucks out there with bad automatics and the dealer can't fix them? I find that to be rediculous. Maybe it's time to switch brands....

Buy the GM replacement and be done with it.

At least your shifts................................. the 12121212121 is just annoying, it's not destroying your tranny.

120$ fixed

Will the GM replacement solenoid actually fix the 12121212 shifts?

The problem is the governor. the new governor seems to fix the problem.

Even when i get done f'ing with me transmission and send it to Dusty. I will put this solenoid on it when Dusty sends me my transmission.

Well mine is either slipping going into 2nd from 4th (stomping on the gas at speed), or it is momentarily jumping into 1st at higher speed than it should (38 - 40 mph) and then immediately going into 2nd. I can't tell. It doesn't do it all the time, so it surprises me and I'm not paying enough attention to be able to tell. It does it so quick that it feels like it is jumping into first. I guess I'll just keep running this tranny until it is toast and then figure out what I am going to do. I have an extended warranty. I wonder if they will pay for Dusty to do a rebuild?

With your tranny shifting at 5950 you will down shift at 38.

I happen to love when it does this, really gets the truck movin!

Lower your shift point, or adjust out your TV cable.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back