48re solenoid upgrade update

SANTEEN said:
Thanks again for the response. Do I get the pressure tranducer for dodge or GM? And again, is this a good preventative maintenance item, or should I just wait until I start having symptons?
Yes it is a good PM do not wait b/c from what I've learned by waiting is what actually causes the problem! The factory solenoid is very tiny and gets clogged which causes pressure issues which in turn causes tranny damage....by installing the GM, since it is wider openings, you are essentially allowing more fluid to flow through and it's not easily clogged, keeping the pressure pretty constant! Pressure is what shifts the tranny and when that starts acting up it's only a matter of time!

thats why i like this forum you guys have exactly explained my tranny problem. first started after 6 months of purchase of truck. 1-2 1-2 problem took it to the stealership replaced selenoid run perfect for another 12 months , said they couldnt duplicate problem, then i went to pick it up left the dealership and freaked !!! it was slipping in 1,2 and 3 was sooooo pissed. took it back to them had the tech ride with me and showed him what it was doing.. he says well thats good now i can fix the problem... i said no it isnt good !!! it wasnt doing this when i took it in wtf ?? they replaced the selenoid, bands, torque converter, and now it runs perfect again, but for how long this time ??? clogged selenoid makes sense and probably caused other damages.. thanx for all the info guys !!!!!

Solenoid being described as shitty is an understatement...he showed me the comparison when he had mine out and the GM style....looks like a BB hole compared to a 9MM...so when debris catches the hydro fluid can't pass easily...bands are another thing that causes some shifting issues, sometimes they need to be readjusted replaced, ect.. the other thing to check on is getting some additional clutch packs put in there! should take care and last for a good amount of time, this time around!

kickinassrt-10 said:
Solenoid being described as shitty is an understatement...he showed me the comparison when he had mine out and the GM style....looks like a BB hole compared to a 9MM...so when debris catches the hydro fluid can't pass easily...bands are another thing that causes some shifting issues, sometimes they need to be readjusted replaced, ect.. the other thing to check on is getting some additional clutch packs put in there! should take care and last for a good amount of time, this time around!
Roger,
Clear your PM inbox.

Does stinker sell the solenoid, my tranny is beginning to slip or act funny when i mash the pedal to the floor, i have not done a thing to my trk except fix the power steering pump several times and change the oil, still runs good but ready for plugs and tranny tune, have 46,000 fun filled miles on her and will be keeping this one for ever, still my daily driver even though i just bought a new denali, cannot stop driving her.

Ok and I didn't take time to read all the posts here but this is for the Auto trans? And is it different depending upon year? I just paid $1800 two months ago because of a 2nd gear problem in my 05 QC. And symptomatically it was slipping in second and third or when I mashed it for the kick down at highway speeds. I do not have all the info of what the tech found but they did replace second gear for me. And now the damn thing is still a little sluggish.

Never mind I finally read the whole thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
etaylormcp said:
Ok and I didn't take time to read all the posts here but this is for the Auto trans? And is it different depending upon year? I just paid $1800 two months ago because of a 2nd gear problem in my 05 QC. And symptomatically it was slipping in second and third or when I mashed it for the kick down at highway speeds. I do not have all the info of what the tech found but they did replace second gear for me. And now the damn thing is still a little sluggish.

Never mind I finally read the whole thread. Thanks.
yep auto...hopefully they rebuilt for $1800 added clutch pack and did some few other changes/upgrades.....solenoid is a huge help!

By the way PM box is clear:rock:

SANTEEN said:
Thanks again for the response. Do I get the pressure tranducer for dodge or GM? And again, is this a good preventative maintenance item, or should I just wait until I start having symptons?

You get the pressure tansducer from Dodge, I believe (I do not have the GM conversion kit on mine just yet).

This isn't really a preventative maintenance item. It is a fix for the when the solenoid and pressure transducer get contaminated from the real problem: excessive front clutch wear caused by too much 2-3 shift overlap and slow 3rd gear engagement.

Will this work okay on 2006 models? I was reading through but couldn't find anything about 2006 QC.

Would it make a difference if its black? :):) JK

swampsong said:
Will this work okay on 2006 models? I was reading through but couldn't find anything about 2006 QC.

Would it make a difference if its black? :):) JK
Yup. Should be one of your first mods. While they have it apart, make sure you get the bands adjusted.

Has anyone found a better setup for the governor pressure sensor?

I have the GM solenoid update along with the billet Accumulator in my tranny and am about to swap out the sensor... would prefer it if I could find a better one.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back