Acetone In Fuel Increases Mileage

This is a really loaded question and I already know the answer. Just something to think about. If Acetone increases gas mileage, is inexpensive and has no side effects, then why don't the petroleum companies put it in their products, duh, someone please tell me.

AWDisuzu said:
because they would sell less gas.
Correct ! Give that man a cigar. [Rant On] Now doesn't that make you mad that they have the knowledge and ability to do something as simple as adding acetone to their formula that would increase your mileage and be beneficial to the environment. They already know the effects that acetone has. Their scientist probably have the fuel formula at it's lowest efficiency but will still keep your car running. All for the mighty dollar. [Rant Off] I'm going to go drive my truck.

So far, driven another 50 or so miles today and the performance above 3000rpms is quite a bit different. Temp today was hovering between 80-85 degrees and I'm still amazed at how much of a difference a small amount made. As far as mileage, I got back on the highway at 60mph and got 17.0mpg during a 5 mile stretch.

More driving impressions:
Tonight temp was 80-81 degrees outside and holy moly, the performance from a roll has been drastically increased. I don't know if my truck was pulling timing on the top end or what, but I have never felt the truck this strong ever since I've had it. I can't wait to feel what a stage 2 pcm will do with the acetone mixture and a 100 shot. Whoever has thought about mixing acetone.... stop thinking, it will be the best $10 you ever spent!

testin acetone this week

well, all last week i drove somewhat conservative to get a true baseline and i averaged 16.2 miles per gallon. that drive to and from work includes pretty good grades up and down and some stop and go driving as well.
this week i added 2 ounces of 100% acetone to 25 gallons of 91 (thats all we gots in CA) octane fuel. first day results are as follows....i did notice that then engine does seem to run smoother, it also runs about 5-10 degrees cooler (105 degrees today). my fuel mileage for the day is at 17.5 mpg. i will post more results as the week progresses. i will continue to mess with the mixture to try and find optimum gains.

wheredwhogo? said:
i added 2 ounces of 100% acetone to 25 gallons of 91 (thats all we gots in CA) octane fuel.
I'm glad your seeing improvement with the ratio you are using. According to an article about acetone you can use 1 to 3 oz. in 10 gallons of gas. Therefore I used "5 oz. in 25 gallons" for a ratio of "1 oz. per 5 gallons" or "2 oz. per 10 gallons" etc.. I've only run one tank through but feel I noticed an improvement as well. Here is a quote from their article "In a 10-gallon tank of gasoline, use one to three ounces of pure acetone to obtain excellent mileage improvements. In a ten-gallon tank of diesel fuel, use from 1 to 2 ounces of acetone. Performance goes up too. Use about a half-teaspoon of acetone in the fuel tank of a 4-cycle lawnmower or snowblower. Or you can apply it with an eyedropper." Play around with the ratio's to see what works best for you. Keep us posted :) .

sorry bro... i didnt use 2 ounces i used 2 ounces per 10 gallons, so i too used 5.5 ounces...i did one of those things where i was thinking one thing and typed another..... i will keep everybody posted...im prolly going to mess around with this for a few tanks of gas.....

I had zero change in my 300m. Had to give it a try. My chemist buddy said it would not hurt and would not help. He said it should clean the injectors if it makes it that far. He was right on the money. 21.3 before and 21.1 with. I would say that is the same.

I am now testing Acetone in my QC.

I filled it with 91 (have to because of the DC Stage 2), I then also took a gallon container with me, filled it with about a gallon, brought it back home, and added 7 oz roughly, because I have a 34 gallon tank that is full... I am rougly using 2.1 oz per ten gallons.

I then shook the container well, and dumped in tank, then backed the up several times with hard brake stops to mix the gas up.

I zeroed out my trip meters, and computer.

I will let everyone know if I see any differences.

You guys are alot more adventurous than this old boy......:eek:

It will be quite interesting to see your long term results......:idea:

Thanks for being the guinea pig.............:rock:

SD

azpyroguy said:

I filled it with 91 (have to because of the DC Stage 2), I then also took a gallon container with me, filled it with about a gallon, brought it back home, and added 7 oz roughly, because I have a 34 gallon tank that is full... I am rougly using 2.1 oz per ten gallons.

I then shook the container well, and dumped in tank, then backed the up several times with hard brake stops to mix the gas up.

hey, never thought of the ol backing up trick.....guess i will save that for the second tank....

azpyroguy said:

I would be running the 91 Oct (I assume you live out west where 93 isn't available?) whether you run a flash or not. 93 is recommended for stock!!

Marc T said:
I would be running the 91 Oct (I assume you live out west where 93 isn't available?) whether you run a flash or not. 93 is recommended for stock!!

Yea.. 91 is the best I can get... occasionally I have seen 92... but its far and few between.

Silent D said:
You guys are alot more adventurous than this old boy......:eek:

It will be quite interesting to see your long term results......:idea:

Thanks for being the guinea pig.............:rock:

SD

The only reason I am even considering it.. becuase Boomer says it cool.. and highly reccomends it.

Scott.

My test results are good with acetone, I am on my third tank with it.

My first tank did not see much difference, other than smoother running, my second tank I noticed a slight increase, but again negligible... about .5/mpg increase... on my third tank... woweee!! I am now averaging about 2 mpg increase on the SRT.

I used to get about 9.8 roughly in town with the QC, and now get pretty much all the time 11.4-11.9... now that does not count me keeping my foot out of it... which as we all know is hard to do on these trucks.. and an that I average about 9.5mpg when I am givin er hell... when it used to dip into the low 8's for that usage....

I have also noticed less soot in my exhaust, and before I was getting a very slight throttle tip in detonation on hard accellerations, that has completely dissapeared.

Anyone still using this stuff and what are the results?

Where do you buy the acetone?

Acetone is available by the gallon from Home Depot or Lowes. about $13/gal

Back