Acetone In Fuel Increases Mileage

Less is better also. I put in 5 oz for 23 gal and mileage went up almost 2 mpg and then i used 3 oz, and my mpg went down. Im gonna fool around with it a lil more.

22mpg

I am running approx. 5.5oz, premixed, as of yesterday, and preliminary results showed 22mpg on my trip computer cruising steady state 70 mph. I realize this is very premature info as I must run a full tank through and calc numbers myself. This is the highest I've ever seen on the computer. A note on my trip computer, the one time I wasn't testing my cylindar deactivation system (which renders the trip calcs innacurate), it was identical (10.4mpg) to my calcs based on consuption and odometer.
I'm putting it in my Silverado, Cuda, and other vehicles, just need trip time now.

ntw0rk said:
Nice! Thanks Rotten!

You are welcome,

I got interested in this when I wondered why my truck really liked the 104 octane of locally available ETHANOL blended premium BUT took a shit kickin'
in the mileage department at the same time. I have run test after test and it has shown the ethanol based fuels REDUCE THE MILEAGE of my truck. And apparently ethanol based fuels generally REDUCE the mileage of any vehicle. Just look at the BTU value of ethanol compared to gasoline: gasoline= 125,000 BTU/U.S. GAL. ethanol= 84,400 BTU/U.S. GAL. Burning ethanol at Stoichiometric values (theoroetical ideal combustion) is 6.5 parts air to fuel and gasoline is 14.7 parts of air to fuel. That is quite a difference and, as it turns out, the ECU has the engine burn MORE of it to try and make everything correct in the mixture department. Some argue that the b.t.u. values are not comparable when burning inside an engine as opposed to burning an open flame to heat water (b.t.u. rating). That's interesting, but all I KNOW is ethanol based fuels lower gas mileage in virtually every vehicle I have had an opportunity to try it in.

Esso premium (in Canada anyway) is about the worst for performance but better than the 104 (10% ethanol fuel) for mileage. However, I won't run Esso as the truck really lies down between shifts @ W.O.T. (knock sensor) Shell is quite good and Chevron (104), is available in the province beside us, and is by far the best for both mileage and power.

Acetone works very well. Just make sure it is pure, try to find Klean-Strip or Duplicolor, don't use too much, don't breathe it and, watch the paint!!

again: http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/additive.htm

Ron

Last edited:
flyingLow,
I mixed the acetone in a 1 gal fuel jug full of fuel first. Then pured into full tank.
Klean-Strip happens to be the brand I had on hand.

droptail said:
flyingLow,
I mixed the acetone in a 1 gal fuel jug full of fuel first. Then pured into full tank.
Klean-Strip happens to be the brand I had on hand.

I use Sherwin Williams from their paint store, I can get it in Quart, 1 Gallon, and 5 Gallon containers... I setup an account with my local store and they give me a 20% discount also.

results?

What are the results guys? I have (2) mileage adders testing so I can't pinpoint acetone just yet. I have switched to Chevron for my fuel source as I'm told its among the best and consistant. It is a PITA trying to be consistant, not jumping on it much/ the same as usual. I guess it will take a little time to get some good results. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
I'm still testing. I think I saw about a 1mpg gain with 2 oz per 10 gallons. But I tried 3 oz and I think lost that 1 mpg gain and maybe lost a little. It was hard to tell if I had a gain because I did a lot of racing. I need to fill up again either today or tomorrow and I will do another test. I do think a 3:10 mix is too much. I might try 1.5:10.

droptail said:
What are the results guys? I have (2) mileage adders testing so I can't pinpoint acetone just yet. I have switched to Chevron for my fuel source as I'm told its among the best and consistant. It is a PITA trying to be consistant, not jumping on it much/ the same as usual. I guess it will take a little time to get some good results. Keep us posted.

I am getting a solid 15% increase in my SRT-10. That is calculated and not going by the wing-nut overhead console that seems easily confused.

Ron

HOT RAM said:
What ratio are you currently using ?

I use 5 fl. oz. per full tank (98 litres or 26 U.S. Gallons) which is on the low side.

The recommended ratio is 2 to 3 oz. per 10 gallons.

I dump it straight in from a small bottle that used to have rubbing alcohol in it (drugstore) . These bottles are sort of white but you can still see how much is in them. They are easy to pour from. I just measured and marked a line with a permanent marker; one mark for a full tank and one for 1/2 tank. DON'T use clear plastic bottles to store the acetone in as it will melt some clear plastics. It is safe in the small alcohol bottles though. Using too much or using acetone that isn't 100% pure will defeat the whole purpose.
Hey, this works with diesels too (same ratio). And it also works in jet fuel although they refused to let me dump any into the 747 at the local airport ;)

Ron

I went to buy more Klean-Strip brand acetone from Home Depot where I got the other, and noticed the 100% notice was gone, all the other labeling was the same. I picked it up anyway and called the number listed when I got home. Tech guy said they can no longer market as 100% cause its 95%, same exact formula as years before. So I found a local automotive paint supply store who carries 100% pure virgin acetone in gals, and bought it. Its suppossed to be pure as they have cautioned, so I'm back to a full tank. I have been open tracking over the weekend so I clost 2 tanks of testing. I'll repost the results when I run dry. I expect good results. I believe there was indications of improved mileage for me already with the other stuff. Try to get some automotive 100% acetone if you can.

I just bought Kleen - Strip from Home Depot. That stinks that they changed their mixture. I am currently trying 5 oz Acetone, 5 oz Xylene, & 5 oz RP Two Stroke Oil all premixed with gas in a gallon jug. I read where this is good for mileage and extra safety in case of bad gas out of the pump. No results yet.

Last edited:
droptail said:
I went to buy more Klean-Strip brand acetone from Home Depot where I got the other, and noticed the 100% notice was gone, all the other labeling was the same. I picked it up anyway and called the number listed when I got home. Tech guy said they can no longer market as 100% cause its 95%, same exact formula as years before. So I found a local automotive paint supply store who carries 100% pure virgin acetone in gals, and bought it. Its suppossed to be pure as they have cautioned, so I'm back to a full tank. I have been open tracking over the weekend so I clost 2 tanks of testing. I'll repost the results when I run dry. I expect good results. I believe there was indications of improved mileage for me already with the other stuff. Try to get some automotive 100% acetone if you can.

The stuff that home depot, lowes, and walgreens sells is a cut mix... I was told by a officer they had to do this because drug dealers were buying the stuff as acetone is a primary chemical used in the making of crystal meth... apparently from what I have been told the cut mix makes the crystal meth not work or poisinous... but... what the heck.. if you puting the crap in your body anyhow.. whats a little bit extra chemicals goona do to you anyhow...I'd tell em take a chance.. if they kick the bucket because of it.. thats one less meth head on the streets to deal with...

rreinicherr said:
I just bought Kleen - Strip from Home Depot. That stinks that they changed their mixture. I am currently trying 5 oz Acetone, 5 oz Xylene, & 5 oz RP Two Stroke Oil all premixed with gas in a gallon jug. I read where this is good for mileage and extra safety in case of bad gas out of the pump. No results yet.

Assuming you are putting this mix in a full tank. you should be using 1/2 the amount of Xylene and Acetone you are. That is, 2.5 oz Acetone with 2.5 oz. Xylene with 4.5 oz.- 2 stroke oil.

If you are using just the Acetone, the recommended amount above can be doubled. Torco GP-7 2 stroke racing synthetic is recommended.

BTW, this mix also increases octane....

Ron

Last edited:
I must have misread the e-mail I received on the mixture. No wonder I did not even get a little jump in the computer MPG readout. Thanks for the clarification.:) I did put it in a full tank and the RP was a synthetic race oil. I will still hand calculate it at the end of this tank. Then I will try 1/2 of the Acetone and Xylene I just used.

I don't see what is so special about the Torco GP-7? None of the boat racers I know run it? I figured as long as it was a good two stroke synthetic it shouldn't really matter. Although I could be wrong on this too.

Do you think you could run 89 octane with the Xylene?

[/QUOTE] I don't see what is so special about the Torco GP-7? None of the boat racers I know run it? I figured as long as it was a good two stroke synthetic it shouldn't really matter. Although I could be wrong on this too.

I don't think brand would make THAT much of a difference either it is simply the one that has been tried and is recommended...

Do you think you could run 89 octane with the Xylene?[/QUOTE]

My QC with the knock sensor will tell me in a hurry (and so will your '05) if octane requirements aren't met. When it cranks the timing back during ping, the engine really lays down @ WOT between shifts. With good gas, power doesn't drop off, it's that simple. My truck really likes 94 octane (10% ethanol blend) which acts like a mini nitrous setup. It doesn't like (and I don't either) the loss in mileage from the blended fuels. The acetone helps recover that though. The truck will work ok with blended 92 octane (power wise) unless the ambient temp is up over 75F or so, then it will ping a bit and power drops slightly. 92 octane without ethanol is not ok; and 89 isn't even a consideration. Your vehicle weight (QC or regular cab), auto or manual trans; driving style, gearing, altitude, ambient temperature, plug heat range, etc; etc. all influence octane requirements. Even at 3700 feet where I live, this engine is an octane pig. So to answer your question, although the mix will raise octane, I seriously doubt that it will effectively support an 89 octane fuel.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Last edited:
That was a perfect explanation and very much appreciated. :D

I did notice, as others have, my engine run quieter after adding my mix. I also added my mix to 93 octane. I was just curious about lower octane.

THANKS!

rreinicherr said:
I must have misread the e-mail I received on the mixture. No wonder I did not even get a little jump in the computer MPG readout. Thanks for the clarification.:) I did put it in a full tank and the RP was a synthetic race oil. I will still hand calculate it at the end of this tank. Then I will try 1/2 of the Acetone and Xylene I just used.

I don't see what is so special about the Torco GP-7? None of the boat racers I know run it? I figured as long as it was a good two stroke synthetic it shouldn't really matter. Although I could be wrong on this too.

Do you think you could run 89 octane with the Xylene?
Why don't you just fill it up @ 1/2 a tank? Add 2 oz oil if you want. I missed the reason for the oil?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back