BigRed460's build thread

Glad to see it back up and running! Change the gear to a 3.73, you will not regret it, pulling 6th gear on N20 is super hard on the engine/trans. Look forward to seeing more results.
Justin

This was the last pass, sad.... just plain sad....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx2a08FQhNw=youtube]texas mile 2014 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like you need to make your switches a little easier to access with moving that fast lol.

Looks like I got an after work project :)

Attachments

• IMG_20141104_102919.jpg
    IMG_20141104_102919.jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 48
Please take this as constructive criticism. I want to see you achieve your goals as much as the rest of the Viper Truck world. First, you should chill, relax, and consider it a normal drive fast down a road. I think the anticipation and excitement was getting to you as you fumbled around with the shifter and were constantly moving around in the cab before the run even started. I lost count how many needless times you shifted into first, back to neutral, back to first, I to neutral, into 2nd, into first, into neutral, lol. I'm thinking this is partly what made you miss 3rd.
Next, I agree with other that your nitrous arming/activating buttons are way too complex for a run of this caliber or even a street race for that matter. You shouldn't be fumbling for switches and engaging like that at those speeds. A progressive controller we use on all nitrous trucks can allow you to tailor when your dope kicks in, at what percentage, ramp rate, time,rpm, etc. You could simply shift and steer.
Then, I'd practice never, ever, ever removing both hands from the wheel to FORCEFULLY try to select a gear! You did more damage to the tranny doing that than the tranny not allowing you to get in gear. You didn't blow your overdrive gears, yet likely bent the crap outta the shift fork or broke it. Coulda been as simple as needing a good bleeding prior to the run, but as also said, you don't want to run 5-6 gears in the mile! Gear your rear end to allow the completion of the mile in 4th and whatever rpm you wanna cross the line at. Justin recommended 3:73 and I even say a higher gear like a 3.55 or more.
You notice how all of the manual cars have to feather the clutch about 400 ft or so off the line in 1st gear? That's due to the high ratio rear end gearing. Imagine a stock Viper car and how they can reach crazy numbers on the stock ratio rear gear.
Very awesome to see you pursuing this and honestly any words any of us speak are to try and help you achieve your goal and putting the Viper Trucks once again on the map.
Congrats

Last edited:
Please take this as constructive criticism. I want to see you a heifer your goals as much as the rest of the Viper Truck world. First, you should chill, relax, and consider it a normal drive fast down a road. I think the anticipation and excitement was getting to you as you fumbled around with the shifter and were constantly moving around in the cab before the run even started. I lost count how many needless times you shifted into first, back to neutral, back to first, I to neutral, into 2nd, into first, into neutral, lol. I'm thinking this is partly what made you miss 3rd.
Next, I agree with other that your nitrous arming/activating buttons are way too complex for a run of this caliber or even a street race for that matter. You shouldn't be fumbling for switches and engaging like that at those speeds. A progressive controller we use on all nitrous trucks can allow you to tailor when your dope kicks in, at what percentage, ramp rate, time,rpm, etc. You could simply shift and steer.
Then, I'd practice never, ever, ever removing both hands from the wheel to FORCEFULLY try to select a gear! You did more damage to the tranny doing that than the tranny not allowing you to get in gear. You didn't blow your overdrive gears, yet likely bent the crap outta the shift fork or broke it. Coulda been as simple as needing a good bleeding prior to the run, but as also said, you don't want to run 5-6 gears in the mile! Gear your rear end to allow the completion of the mile in 4th and whatever rpm you wanna cross the line at. Justin recommended 3:73 and I even say a higher gear like a 3.55 or more.
You notice how all of the manual cars have to feather the clutch about 400 ft or so off the line in 1st gear? That's due to the high ratio rear end gearing. Imagine a stock Viper car and how they can reach crazy numbers on the stock ratio rear gear.
Very awesome to see you pursuing this and honestly any words any of us speak are to try and help you achieve your goal and putting the Viper Trucks once again on the map.
Congrats

Well said.

I do that all the time, kinda like how I bounce my feet at the dinner table. It drives my wife nuts.

My best friend that passed away a few years back did the same thing. Shakes tables, cars, boats whatever. Haha, miss tha fool

If you are going to try to achieve this in 4th gear as others have said, you will NOT achieve speeds in excess of 16Xmph with a 3.55 gear. I'm definitely not even close to the intelligence levels of some of these true motor-heads, but I would consider seeing how strong 5th gear can be built and utilize that. Otherwise your truck is going to be completely useless for anything else unless you just build an extra rear-end for other uses. Good luck on whatever you choose! Way to set the bar for the Ram SRT community! :rock:

If you are going to try to achieve this in 4th gear as others have said, you will NOT achieve speeds in excess of 16Xmph with a 3.55 gear. I'm definitely not even close to the intelligence levels of some of these true motor-heads, but I would consider seeing how strong 5th gear can be built and utilize that. Otherwise your truck is going to be completely useless for anything else unless you just build an extra rear-end for other uses. Good luck on whatever you choose! Way to set the bar for the Ram SRT community! :rock:

Yeah it'll more than likely be 3.07 or similar but I wouldn't try 5th. It's an overdriven gear as well and there just isn't enough size to make it any stronger than the best out there now. Therefore folks are cryogenically treating parts. I also agree to find and extra rear to simply swap out for the mile runs. You won't even be able to take off in first uphill without frying the clutch with 3.07 or similar gear. Really not sure if a gear that high is available for the 60 :(
I think 3.54 is highest

Last edited:
The lowest gear I would go is 3.73 and finish in 5th(.75). I did bend the forks with the two handed shift, but what is missing is pass #1 and #2 where I bent the input shaft causing me to be blocked out of every gear. After pass #2 the truck would not come out of gear till after it cooled off. I drove around the parking lot for a little while shifting 1st - 6th. It only went into 6th a few times, most of the time it took two hands. This is Friday night of one of the only vacations I get a year, so I went checkers or wreckers. I did the biggest burnout I could w/o overheating the tires... If you actually look it does go into 6th right before the mile mark.

Yes I understand it's not smart to take both hands off the wheel, but I really wanted it to go in 6th gear. Also I know that I am on a race course that I now have 75+ passes on, no surprises.

I do have two progressive controllers hooked up, the direct port controller (maximizer 4) adjusts the fuel separate from the nitrous to control air fuel ratio. I know from my last trip here that after 20 seconds the controller shuts off, that's a problem when I need 30+ seconds, so I disconnected it and just wired in my window switch. The good part about this is I talked to Nitrous express and they are going to fix this for me and send me an update.

It would have been nice to have a tune and up the rev limiter too. (that's why it dies on the return road)

As far as transmissions go if the gt40 that makes 1800hp on alcohol can use 5th gear then so can I. In fact I bet this th6060 can take the spray through 6th gear, I do know that your not going to set any records in 4th gear.

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-7IrRv6Kvg"]texas mile viper - YouTube[/ame]

I had to cut the first part of this video off because I flip the shifter from first to neutral about 20 times and it always pisses off my uncle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cgDx4qQMxo&feature"]2013 Texas Mile - YouTube[/ame]

What me shifting a non-fubared t56 looks like...

The lowest gear I would go is 3.73 and finish in 5th(.75). I did bend the forks with the two handed shift, but what is missing is pass #1 and #2 where I bent the input shaft causing me to be blocked out of every gear. After pass #2 the truck would not come out of gear till after it cooled off. I drove around the parking lot for a little while shifting 1st - 6th. It only went into 6th a few times, most of the time it took two hands. This is Friday night of one of the only vacations I get a year, so I went checkers or wreckers. I did the biggest burnout I could w/o overheating the tires... If you actually look it does go into 6th right before the mile mark.

Yes I understand it's not smart to take both hands off the wheel, but I really wanted it to go in 6th gear. Also I know that I am on a race course that I now have 75+ passes on, no surprises.

I do have two progressive controllers hooked up, the direct port controller (maximizer 4) adjusts the fuel separate from the nitrous to control air fuel ratio. I know from my last trip here that after 20 seconds the controller shuts off, that's a problem when I need 30+ seconds, so I disconnected it and just wired in my window switch. The good part about this is I talked to Nitrous express and they are going to fix this for me and send me an update.

It would have been nice to have a tune and up the rev limiter too. (that's why it dies on the return road)

As far as transmissions go if the gt40 that makes 1800hp on alcohol can use 5th gear then so can I. In fact I bet this th6060 can take the spray through 6th gear, I do know that your not going to set any records in 4th gear.

Sounds like you got a handle on it Red, just want to see you kick ass and take names. Just remember that GT40 (GT) is about 2000+ lbs lighter and way more aerodynamic so it's much easier using 5th on it bud. Look forward to the next event and your new records!

2013 Texas Mile - YouTube

What me shifting a non-fubared t56 looks like...

Great video for sure! Do you tape up front end cracks/crevices/and openings? Doesn't look as if? Our truck would sure benefit from painters tape sealing all of these off other than radiator and you may even could get away with it being closed off for the mile jaunt. I've gotta get involved being these happen in my back yard basically. Is you uncle your crew chief? Badass

Great video for sure! Do you tape up front end cracks/crevices/and openings? Doesn't look as if? Our truck would sure benefit from painters tape sealing all of these off other than radiator and you may even could get away with it being closed off for the mile jaunt. I've gotta get involved being these happen in my back yard basically. Is you uncle your crew chief? Badass

I have taped off a few times, its good for a few more mph. I didn't this time because the truck was already getting to hot, and I just want to see if it would make a pass. I went 158.1mile/135.5 half mile taped off with a 200 shot last year, I was at a 150 half mile on the first pass on a 200/500 two stage set up. I would be happy with a 175 pass for now. That would put my in reach of my 178 I ran in the viper.

Me, my dad and my uncle all go to the mile every October. Me and my dad go in march also, he has always ran his bike('busa) but sold it and bought a single turbo lightning this year. My uncle normally runs on of his vipers in October. Who's ever car breaks first ends up crew chief. Only 4 trucks this year and me and my dad were the fastest. I ran 162.3 and he ran 162 even.

I have taped off a few times, its good for a few more mph. I didn't this time because the truck was already getting to hot, and I just want to see if it would make a pass. I went 158.1mile/135.5 half mile taped off with a 200 shot last year, I was at a 150 half mile on the first pass on a 200/500 two stage set up. I would be happy with a 175 pass for now. That would put my in reach of my 178 I ran in the viper.

Me, my dad and my uncle all go to the mile every October. Me and my dad go in march also, he has always ran his bike('busa) but sold it and bought a single turbo lightning this year. My uncle normally runs on of his vipers in October. Who's ever car breaks first ends up crew chief. Only 4 trucks this year and me and my dad were the fastest. I ran 162.3 and he ran 162 even.

Mans that's awesome bonding time for sure! Couldn't ask for a better relationship between family. Man you're chasing that goal with a vengeance! Will be following

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back