Blackviper Engine Build

Honing without a torque plate?

Please explain.

The motor is completely locked down on the machine. The machine has an indicator that measures pressure on the cylinder walls and they measure the progress of each cylinder constantly. We are only going 10 over.

blackviper said:
Please explain.

The motor is completely locked down on the machine. The machine has an indicator that measures pressure on the cylinder walls and they measure the progress of each cylinder constantly. We are only going 10 over.

its called plate honing. and it simulates the head being bolted to the block, while boreing.

blackviper said:
Please explain.

They re doing the same thing to mine. In addition they pump fluid through block at operating temperature during honing/boring

blackviper said:
Please explain.

Like Perk said previously, a torque plate is a piece of metal that simulates a cylinder head. Its torqued into place and the block will conform to the same shape as if the head was in place. It ensures a 100% straight cylinder wall. The machine that they are using is old technology, not that it doesnt work (so dont jump all over me) just wont be as true. This is why I was looking for a bad head earlier. So we could make a torque plate and piss around with the ports for experimental purposes. We decided to purchase a torque plate instead of buying a head, experimenting with the ports wont be necessary as they are pretty straight forward.

George,

# 1- WOW that thing is going to be awsome!!!!

#2- Your crazy!!!

#3- Will you adopt me???

Like Perk said previously, a torque plate is a piece of metal that simulates a cylinder head. Its torqued into place and the block will conform to the same shape as if the head was in place. It ensures a 100% straight cylinder wall. The machine that they are using is old technology, not that it doesnt work (so dont jump all over me) just wont be as true. This is why I was looking for a bad head earlier. So we could make a torque plate and piss around with the ports for experimental purposes. We decided to purchase a torque plate instead of buying a head, experimenting with the ports wont be necessary as they are pretty straight forward.

I didn't mean to come across that way. I was just trying to educate myself and see if they were doing something wrong. Wouldn't the mass of the motor and the light pressure they're applying not allow anything to distort. They were honing it in three steps (stones).

George,

# 1- WOW that thing is going to be awsome!!!!

#2- Your crazy!!!

#3- Will you adopt me???

Hey Justin, I'm really looking forward to the finished product. Yes, I'm crazing about these trucks and addicted to speed. Lastly, couldn't afford another dependent if I wanted to. The truck took the last spot. LOL!

I'm looking forward to some great numbers but don't really want to speculate too much. I hope Sean can extract every single horsepower.

Last edited:
The "Viper Whisperer" can find even fractions of a horsepower...but he is best at eliminating detonation at the bleeding edge of high performance!

Last edited:
blackviper said:
I didn't mean to come across that way. I was just trying to educate myself and see if they were doing something wrong. Wouldn't the mass of the motor and the light pressure they're applying not allow anything to distort. They were honing it in three steps (stones).

They're not doing anything wrong, this will work. Theres just a chance that the rings may not contact perfectly. What they are doing and the pressures they use wont distort the block at all. The difference is that when the heads are torqued into place they may distort the block. The torque plate just simulates that the heads are torqued on when they really are not.

Engines are built all the time without torque plates and work just fine. But most high hp, high dollar engine builds use torque plates. Yellowvenom and myself have our engines at a builder right now and they are going to purchase a torque plate for only 2 engines. Or maybe the 2 of us are buying it and just dont know it :D .

yellowfever#154 said:
They're not doing anything wrong, this will work. Theres just a chance that the rings may not contact perfectly. What they are doing and the pressures they use wont distort the block at all. The difference is that when the heads are torqued into place they may distort the block. The torque plate just simulates that the heads are torqued on when they really are not.

Engines are built all the time without torque plates and work just fine. But most high hp, high dollar engine builds use torque plates. Yellowvenom and myself have our engines at a builder right now and they are going to purchase a torque plate for only 2 engines. Or maybe the 2 of us are buying it and just dont know it :D .

I think were buying shop parts! :) too.:D

And maybe a lift or two??

Interesting discussion...thanks for the knowledge...

Getting closer. I will be ordering this bad boy tomorrow. It's a dual pass heat exchanger with thermostatically contolled fans.

80249N-FS.jpg

yellowfever#154 said:

most porfessional/experienced builders perfer to plate hone. i had it done and would reccomend it to anyone.

blackviper said:
Getting closer. I will be ordering this bad boy tomorrow. It's a dual pass heat exchanger with thermostatically contolled fans.

80249N-FS.jpg

Thats a good looking radiator, who is it built by? Is it a drop in replacement for our trucks?

Not a drop in heat exchanger. It will take some custom fab to get it to work. It's an Afco double pass.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back