Bone's Engine Pull - Part Deux

Bone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again, pulling my engine.
Let me know if there is a picture you need me to take or a measurement to check on.

Anyhow, so far we have pulled the SC and the heads on the passenger side. So far all good. Diamond pistons look good, springs look good, rods are good...

I am taking the Roe SC Intake manifold to be port matched on Tuesday with my heads already ported. Plus, I will get some flow numbers on my ported heads. In addition, I have another set of stock heads that I will port and sell soon.

Attachments

• 100_0865.jpg
    100_0865.jpg
    852.1 KB · Views: 686
  • PP1.JPG
    PP1.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 572
  • PP2.JPG
    PP2.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 804
Hopefully, the larger crank pulley will be done soon. On the test truck, with just the crank pulley (7" diameter), it is boosting 11 psi! So now couple that with my smaller SC pulley - - should be interesting.

Black1 said:
Damn!!!! :eek: some of those cylinders look ROUGH!!! :dontknow: :confused: :(
:dontknow: Rough?

Running rich in some areas still, however Cylinders heads are fine.

What rods are you going to use? Going to a different cam?

Roy

sorry Bone..I didnt hear what the damage was from the Nats or is still being determined....?:dontknow:

Bone said:
:dontknow: Rough?

Running rich in some areas still, however Cylinders heads are fine.

I took a second look, and I think I was looking at the top of cylinder 2 (?).... Sorry, I just saw the carbon and thought it was a dead cylinder at first. :eek:

Looks like you were running REAL rich! :confused:

Prof said:
What rods are you going to use? Going to a different cam?

Roy
My cam is aggressive enough. Made it for a blower application.
(actually got a Cam tuner for my Hemi that has an idle issue for too big of a cam)

Rods depend on what the damage is and where I want to go with it overall.

Last edited:
ILtemprd said:
sorry Bone..I didnt hear what the damage was from the Nats or is still being determined....?:dontknow:
I haven't found any yet.
Turned the crank and looked at the driver's side where the knocking was -- cylinders/rods were turning fine, no slop where a rod bearing would be the culprit. Dig some more tomorrow.

I have some performance springs (will handle 650 lift), retainers and keepers coming soon too. Probably will have to machine the heads for the springs, no big deal, just time.

Last edited:
Looks like I found the issue finally!
p1.JPG

Number 7 piston rod (driver's side, second from the back). If you look at the driver's side head, 2nd from the end you will see that the piston is not flush/straight in-line with the head....so most like the piston rod is bent. I know we all were thinking the passenger side from the sound of the truck at the Nats.
100_0930.jpg

I bought a new toy today to pull then engine. So, if anyone needs their engine pulled, I just about have the needed tools now....lol. I may have to open a shop soon with Taliban Dan.
p2.JPG

Here is the interesting part. Look at the head wall of number 7, cleaner than the rest. We have been debating this for awhile now. Remember, I have/had a Roe SC on top of the heads with Sean's baffle/IM/diffuser plate on top of it for a distrubted air flow. Also, did not blow a head gasket, it was fine.

100_0932.jpg
100_0931.jpg

Last edited:
Man the combustion chamber is dirty as hell, lot of carbon build-up. Glad you figured out the problem, I am looking to see you flow numbers from porting, as an alternative to buying striker heads. :rock:

Damn Bone you got lots going on! Can't wait to see what kind of PSI you make when you get it all back together! how much do you plan on spraying on top of the blower? I think you are going to have a faaaaaaaast truck!

someday i hope to do a similar build to you.....forged pistons, rods, sc and you know i gots the NOS already!

RedRamRules said:
Man the combustion chamber is dirty as hell, lot of carbon build-up. Glad you figured out the problem, I am looking to see you flow numbers from porting, as an alternative to buying striker heads. :rock:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15086
Here they are with Stock valves.

I will have an extra ported set complete probably this week. Just send me your heads and I can do them. Cost effective solution to Strikers. I wouldn't put them up there with Strikers, however great bang for your buck alternative.

I am looking at upgrading the valves with
Manley's New Dodge Viper Stainless Steel Performance Valves 2.020" X 1.600", remaching the valve seats. Then reflowing the entire head again.

Already got upgraded springs, retainers and keepers now too.
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15256

Last edited:
Sounds like the thing is going to be even more of a beast when you are done.

Burkerice07 said:
YOU JERK, GIVE ME THAT ROE. Im young that means i deserve it allot more than you do
I have some trees in the back yard that you can cut up. We can put you on a work study lay-a-way program to earn a kit.
:willy:

Bone said:
I have some trees in the back yard that you can cut up. We can put you on a work study lay-a-way program to earn a kit.
:willy:
i got some flower beds that need weeding too.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back