Catch Can

Bump for a great deal on what looks like an oil cap but is actually a self contained oil catch can

While packing to move yesterday I came across my 10's original screw in catch can. It's complete with the green o ring & "use Mobil 1 synthetic oil only" logo printed on the top. I'll post it for sale with pics shortly. That is if I can figure out what box I put it in. Lol

Ok serious question. Every truck I have seen that has one of these has an aftermarket intake. I do not have an aftermarket intake. Can you mount this without having a JMB intake?

If you can, I will take it.

You have PM.

It is SOLD guys! I just have to figure out how to pay the man who lives in a foreign land.

Ok serious question. Every truck I have seen that has one of these has an aftermarket intake. I do not have an aftermarket intake. Can you mount this without having a JMB intake?

If you can, I will take it.
It may be kinda late since it seems to be sold but you can mount a catch can without having the intake. Most people, including myself, have the intake with the catch can cause you get it as a discounted price on Justins website if you buy both together and it makes it look better under the hood. Justins intake shield has the mounting hole for the catch can as well so its just kind of convenient. If you bought just the catch can you would just have to figure out where you want it to mount on the outside of your stock intake box and then drill a hole and bolt it on. Then just get a rubber grommet and plug the hole on your intake box where the factory crankcase line was coming through at.

Good Norming:

The catch can is a standalone unit. It doesn't need an aftermarket intake.

I mounted may catch can in the battery box as the box really hasn't done anything but sit there empty for the last 10 years, anyway.

I used the grounding bolt (and hole) for the passenger headlight to attach the can to that area. But it can be mounted (of course) in other areas as well.

Drill a hole in the bottom of the tray and now you have a spot for the drain line to go through.

The low profile Viper valve covers and the (poor) baffling system make it easy for the Intake to ingest surprising amounts of oily crap as you can see inside of the accordion tube that attaches to the throttle body. The catch can will really reduce or eliminate this mess.

Catch cans come in a variety of designs with some working better than others.

This oily crap has a low flash point and will compromise your ignition timing (kind of like using low octane fuel) and when your engine pings (2005, 2006 engines with knock sensors), they may/can pull timing and reduce engine power.

The need for a catch can on engines with direct injection (NOT OUR GEN 3s) being used as a performance vehicle (like my Ford F-150 EGOBOOST) really rises. Those engines inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber so unlike our engines where fuel is injected into the Intake Manifold and can "wash" off the Intake Valve face as it makes it's way to the combustion chamber, the direct injection engines have all of this oily crap roaring through the Intake Manifold and sticking/burning to the valves. This happens in a VERY short time.

You should know better than to talk cars on a Sunday morning when the coffee is around as you are likely to get WAY more information than you wanted. :)

Ronnie

Last edited:
I know this may be sold but another serious question. Do most guys with 10s run a catch can? I know in the hemi community most guys went out and got one whether they were going for extra performance or not.

I know this may be sold but another serious question. Do most guys with 10s run a catch can? I know in the hemi community most guys went out and got one whether they were going for extra performance or not.

I can't comment on most guys but I can say the SRT-10/Viper engine absolutely benefits from one.

Not just the potential for extra performance but the water, fuel, acids, nitrous oxides, etc; that are normally in the engine crankcase are now being intercepted and drained out of the catch can.

Oil stays cleaner, longer and, (if you are still using one), the paper air cleaners no longer get used up by the oily vapors being plumbed into the o.e.m. airbox.

Choose a catch-can design you like (some work better than others) and remember to drain it as part of your maintenance routine.

That reminds me, I'm going to see if that crap will burn, it sure smells like it would!

OldColt's Catch Can makes a mean Margarita (best way to describe the look and smell) and mine looks like the "Black and Dirty Canadian Oil" that the media likes to spew misinformation about. Or maybe mine more closely resembles a Black Russian (referencing the drink here). :)

Last edited:
Best for sale thread in a while. I didn't know till now about the self contained catch can caps. I have to get one soon.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Best for sale thread in a while. I didn't know till now about the self contained catch can caps. I have to get one soon.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

Make sure it's ported for greater flow!

Make sure it's ported for greater flow!

"Well, you know there's quality of flow and then there's quantity of flow.....and 2 and 3-port catch cans, ...and did you consider.?....and you really should be comparing m.p.h. instead of e.t. when discussing power improvements or losses.... and my catch can uses a 70 degree seat and flows more than yours and mine makes more power than your catch can, and how do you explain that? and ........ ":chain:

Last edited:
"Well, you know there's quality of flow and then there's quantity of flow.....and 2 and 3-port catch cans, ...and did you consider.?.... and my catch can makes more power than your catch can, and.... ":chain:

Well, your new catch can is bigger than my catch can, but than again, you have a higher compression ratio too.........:D:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back