Dealership broke my truck!!

Worst thing is,the problem you took the truck there for still exists!! all the troubles started when they incorrectly install the cam sensor. The mechanic may have just driven to close to a curb or i piece of rebar sticking out of the ground. The tire and rim isn't as big a deal!The rim can be fixed and tires don't last long anyway!! I don't believe there was any approval to change any parts, so all cam sensor related problems should be repaired without cost to the owner! They needed to consult with the owner prior to replacing the cam sensor. The owner could then inform the mechanic that the sensor was changed twice already so don't bother!

I would settle for new tires (all 4 for your trouble) & wheel, removal of any shavings from engine. If they say no, I would think this would make an excellent story on your local news station and I would tell them that as well. In the end I think they will give you what you want to make this problem go away. Besides, I don't think they would wanna lose others business for a problem they caused in the first place. Good luck with these fools and don't back down!

Last edited:
I'm disappointed in you, Randall. First you say jobs are hard to find, then you say it's OK to stick it to them because "they are corporate". This mentality is one of the reasons corporations move jobs overseas, downsize, etc, making jobs "hard to find".

Think about it tho.. if the dealerships are gonna stick it to us every. Chance they get not. Sayin all do but most I've seen do. But my local one always seemsto find somethin wrong with mine. If theyre gonna try and take us for every nickel and dime ain't it justice to return the favor? Esspecially since this is a limited production vehicle. Pardon me if I seem hypocritcal but id rather look at the people that have lawyers and insurance than a mechanic that is tryin to feed his family. I'm not tryin to justify what the mech did bit I'm not gonna say lay over and take what they'll give him either. Fact of the matter is the truck is in eorse shape now than when it went in so they're responsible to fix it. And since they're irrisponsibilty damaged the truck they should kiss some ass instead of tryin to settle..

Think about it tho.. if the dealerships are gonna stick it to us every. Chance they get not. Sayin all do but most I've seen do. But my local one always seemsto find somethin wrong with mine. If theyre gonna try and take us for every nickel and dime ain't it justice to return the favor? Esspecially since this is a limited production vehicle. Pardon me if I seem hypocritcal but id rather look at the people that have lawyers and insurance than a mechanic that is tryin to feed his family. I'm not tryin to justify what the mech did bit I'm not gonna say lay over and take what they'll give him either. Fact of the matter is the truck is in eorse shape now than when it went in so they're responsible to fix it. And since they're irrisponsibilty damaged the truck they should kiss some ass instead of tryin to settle..

I agree overall with what you're saying. Dealerships, quick lubes, tire shops, mechanics, they all nickel and dime. They all do the "courtesy checks" when you take it to them for something specific, such as when I took my truck into a Firestone and told them specifically I wanted my brake fluid flushed and replaced, and yet they still come back to me with a list of things needing repair and whatnot. Hell, even at the car washes they have those windshield replacement reps that tell you you need your windshield replaced because of some tiny minuscule pit in the glass that they only found because of sticking their faces right up on the glass. Everywhere you go, automotive-wise, is trying to get your money. It gets old and when one of those places messes up, then yeah, I don't feel sorry for them, especially when it's something that doesn't seem like a genuine accident.

That said, and as to what Caveman is talking about, the problem with the U.S. is that a person spills a cup of coffee on themselves at a McDonald's and then they sue and judges allow these lawsuits and even find in favor of the plaintiff in these ridiculous situations, this is what causes a company to outsource or find ways to recoup the millions they lost in settlements. And of course crap rolls downhill so they probably fire the manager and the employee who served the coffee and the employee who made the coffee, so now they have to replace those people and train the new employees that replace them. Overall what I'm getting at, when it's the customer who brings in, say a car, to a mechanic, knowing full well the engine is only holding together with a bolt and some duct tape, and then the motor falls apart in the mechanic's bay and then they try and sue and say the mechanic messed up, then yeah, that's a problem. But as is with the case of the OP, he brought his truck in for something specific and negligible actions on the part of the mechanic/dealership led to further problems and what seems an attempt to deflect liability.

What I am saying is that the guy that crashed the OP's truck deserves to get fired. I don't give a flying leap how scare jobs are. That guy screwed up and deserves to pay the penalty for it. The "lawyers and insurance companies" very well could end up paying for this, but the guy "just trying to feed his family" is a douche bag and a poor employee. He isn't entitled to a job.

A job is a privilege afforded to emplyees by employers, not the other way around.

That's not how that went down. That guy didn't go to the dealer for repairs. He paid a mechanic to do it on the side to try and save a buck. The dealership shouldn't have been liable for that.

We need to be careful spreading rumors like this because it spreads the image that all dealers are out to screw people and that just isn't the case. One of the guys posting in the very thread works at a dealership and they have been nothing but awesome to work with.

Pardon my error, and agreed, the dealership shouldn't be liable in that case, but the fact remains that one of their mechanics, utilizing their facility, messed up big time. I doubt it was the first time that mechanic had joyrided in a customer's car, but probably the first instance where he got caught and unfortunately it was a big time error. If he was making those mistakes off-duty, then he probably was doing them while on the clock and on the dealership's time too. And not a knock on the profession, but I'll likely never trust any mechanic 100%, because any of us with even half a mechanical brain know that you can find a problem on a vehicle and then blame it on a half dozen different things that all sound legit and unfortunately a lot of mechanics try and pull that on people the second they spot a person who knows nothing about cars. They try that crap all the time on my wife and luckily for her she knows a thing or two about cars and knows what bull**** smells like. Others aren't so lucky. Those quicklube places are the worst.

NSDQ, I think we are on the same page. We have two different cases here:

In the first case a guy paid a mechanic to do work on the side. His truck got wrecked and the the guy who tried to cut the dealership out by not paying them to do the repairs should not have expected the dealership to be liable.

In the second case, the OP in this thread paid a dealership to fix his truck and the dealership broke it. Heads should roll.

agree 100% caveman. Sorry for being so pessimistic today lol, you are one of my favorite members on here, just very opinionated today for some reason lol.

Sorry for being so pessimistic today

No harm, Brother. I'm in one of those moods today too. I just sent 45,000 pounds back, across two states, because a dispatcher never learned any manners. They can try again next week.

i thought the soaps went off at 2pm? :D :D :D

I thought you were out chasing carbon fiber midget cupcakes around your truck? And how sad that you even kinda know what time "the soaps" should be off. :D

Caveman I ain't tryin to start nothin, I just felt like givin my opinion. I do agree that the guy is a **** employee, but if he's fired then as was stated he would need to be replaced costin the dealer that much more. I simply think this is a case of a dealer tryin to save his deep pockets. Firingthe employee wont fix the truck. And I'm sure if he was fired the dealer would do less in ways of fixing he truck. Playin that off as a favor to the trucks owner.

What I am saying is that the guy that crashed the OP's truck deserves to get fired. I don't give a flying leap how scare jobs are. That guy screwed up and deserves to pay the penalty for it. The "lawyers and insurance companies" very well could end up paying for this, but the guy "just trying to feed his family" is a douche bag and a poor employee. He isn't entitled to a job.

A job is a privilege afforded to emplyees by employers, not the other way around.

No-one deserves to be fired from their job for being human! If the Mechanic had malicous intent , then yes he should be fired. Some people shouldn't be mechanics and some shouldn't be truck drivers, but people are human and make mistakes. That is why we have rules and laws to help control people. When a mistake occurs, all parties must come together to make amends without obligation to the owner. If the mechanic is noticably remorseful he is learning a valuable lesson ! Removing him from duty will not help the shop from this happening again! All parties must work together to rebuild trust with the client and to give the mechanic the chance to rebuild trust to his employer. Then the employer has to incorporate a control measure that will never allow this type of thing to ever occur again! ....just my 2 cents

I agree with ya 100%!!!! The part a lot of you guys missed is there were two big black marks where the tow truck picked up the truck meaning there was a little effort put into it to make the truck spin the tires and he list control and hit the curb with truck!! Totally abusing a customers truck!! UNACCEPTABLE int books!!! So employee termination is valid in my eyes!! OR the driver pays for new rim, axel and two new tires and takes a time off penalty with NO pay!!

Last edited:
sorry but ,hearsay, 2 black marks? hmmm.... dealer in challenger SRT8's Charger SRT8's.... might need to investigate alittle more. I won't judge without seeing the marks myself and getting a feel from the workers in question.

No-one deserves to be fired from their job for being human! If the Mechanic had malicous intent , then yes he should be fired. Some people shouldn't be mechanics and some shouldn't be truck drivers, but people are human and make mistakes. That is why we have rules and laws to help control people. When a mistake occurs, all parties must come together to make amends without obligation to the owner. If the mechanic is noticably remorseful he is learning a valuable lesson ! Removing him from duty will not help the shop from this happening again! All parties must work together to rebuild trust with the client and to give the mechanic the chance to rebuild trust to his employer. Then the employer has to incorporate a control measure that will never allow this type of thing to ever occur again! ....just my 2 cents

If I was your boss, I would fire you for being spineless. I can't have someone working for me who doesn't accept personal responsibility for their actions.

There is a huge difference in being human and breaking a customers vehicle. I'm not talking about the black marks either, I'm talking about the damaged wheel.

That is why we have rules and laws to help control people.

False.

You should consider taking Constitution 101. Laws were never intended to protect people from themselves. Our laws were originally intended to protect the freedom of the individual from the will of the majority. What you are referring to is Administrative Controls, which may or may not have been in place. Regardless, the damage was done and the guy who wounded the OP's truck should be held responsible.

Last edited:
To me the mech should be responsible to pay for the rim and a whole new set of tires, the dealership should handle the engine. Obviously the mech lost control when he was horsin around. But aslong as he would agree to replace the parts he damaged then he should be able to keep his job.there must be a middle ground between the trucks owner gettin jipped and a man losin his job.

I have been called alot of things but never spineless... I appreciate your candor! :D I try to be compassionate to the human condition and not judge anyone without wearing their moccasins first!! Anything less is primative!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back