Dealership broke my truck!!

i was going to say i cant believe a dealership would do something like this but i have drove a viper before and i know how much fun they are but that is just disrespectful to drive a customers vehicle like a mad man

IIRC, another member on here had his truck flipped by the dealership because they went out on a joy ride for lunch break or something like that.

That's not how that went down. That guy didn't go to the dealer for repairs. He paid a mechanic to do it on the side to try and save a buck. The dealership shouldn't hae been liable for that.

We need to be careful spreading rumors like this because it spreads the image that all dealers are out to screw people and that just isn't the case. One of the guys posting in the very thread works at a dealership and they have been nothing but awesome to work with.

Today, I got a call from the dealership telling me that the cam shaft sensor was broke off during a test drive. I have never heard or read anything like this happening. They will not take responsiblity saying that there is a bigger problem. It was in for a PCM diagnosis and software flash. Now the cam shaft housing needs to come off to find all the magnetic bits of sensor. They offered to do the work at a reduced rate. Any ideas on how to handle this?

In this case, the dealership is totally at fault. I'm pissed about it for you, Bro. You need to start taking notes on every single conversation you have with them. Record dates, names, times, employees position, and exactly what they say.

What they did is total BS and I hope you are able to have everything made right.
Please keep us posted.

The #1 thing that you have against the dealership is the vehicle damage!
When you took the truck there and dropped it off, the damage was not there. When a Car Dealership calls and says you have a broke motor and it's not under Warranty your pretty much up ****'s creek but now there is a story......
They had a accident with your truck. Was there a police report? Did they call you as soon as it happened and say they crashed your truck?
Or did they tell you that you had a broken sensor and it's not covered and we will try and help you the best we can and oh by the way you have a bent rim and your going to need a new tire!
How was it said to you exactly?

The destroyership did not tell me about the rim and tire, I noticed it. I had just cleaned them before I took it in.

That's not how that went down. That guy didn't go to the dealer for repairs. He paid a mechanic to do it on the side to try and save a buck. The dealership shouldn't hae been liable for that.

We need to be careful spreading rumors like this because it spreads the image that all dealers are out to screw people and that just isn't the case. One of the guys posting in the very thread works at a dealership and they have been nothing but awesome to work with.

Thank you for not jumping on the band wagon. We are not all bad, the bad ones give us all a bad image. I can assure you something like this would never happen at our dealership and if it did somebody would be out of a job.

I think that we all have "that story" with quality of service when we take our beloved machines anywhere for service. The design of the cam sensor is flawed and should be a recalled item if anyone is able to shear it off by installing it incorrectly! bottomline is we learn from it and trust no-one to be responsible with it in their possession. No-one should be allowed to drive these trucks without supervision!! Save your lawyer money and spend it on a cam change. It will give the truck a unique sound and character. You will bond with it like master and beast that only you can tame and care for. Probably lucky they didn't crash the truck into a bunch of other cars on the lot!! Go back to the dealership after hours, throw a rock through the biggest window and call it even!! :D

This is everyone's worst nightmare. If I was in this situation, I would have the truck towed out of that dealership and not spend another dime with them. I like Norbert's idea of doing a cam swap. You are going to be spending some money on this repair, so you might as well get something out of it.

PM rottenronnie, he can come up with a custom cam spec to suit your needs or future mods. Ron has been building engines since the early 70's and knows the viper engine inside and out. If you are looking for someone to work on your engine, he is in Calgary.

Not a Viper tech. All I needed was for them to flash the PCM and trouble shoot. As for lawyers, well, that is not something I would use as a last resort. I will be talking with them tomorrow. Also they damaged a rim and tire.

WTF!! Dude, that was a joy ride gone bad. They should be repairing and repaying you for any inconvience.

Still think you should contact a lawyer. Find out exactly where you stand and just how hard you can push. No one is saying to walk in the door with the lawyer, just learn where you stand..... legally. Remove the guess work, stay calm and get it fixed.

It just makes my spine shiver reading this.... I hope everything works out for the best good luck with everything. Id have to at least try to get lawyers involved

Actually it's designed correctly and any expert mechanic can screw it up if not measured exact and the cam spocket is 100% in the right postition for sensor install. It's a plastic covered magnet and has a little rib on the end of the sensor. YOu install the sensor ( in the right position in relation to the cam sprocket) against the sprocket face!!! When the first revolution of the camshaft occurs, it shears off the end of the sensor where the rib of plastic is and sets the gap for the triggering of the cam sensor. Installed incorrectly it will shear the magnet!!!!:eek:

I just talked with the service manager and he would like to pull the cam cover off and make sure it was there mistake. If it is a cam problem, then I pay. If its their screw up they will fix it. They are going to repair the rim and replace the tire, if they can find one. If not they will replace 2. I feel better. So should I let them have a second chance?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back