Disagreement: Let's enjoy it.....

outnumbered said:
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I guess I don't come to the site with the intent of disagreeing or debating. And it doesn't mean that I can't, due to a lack of intellectual ability or the maturity to do so. Conversations just tend to go much farther than what I'm willing to fight.

You have the right to participate at any level you wish.... Or to not participate at all..... It's an open thread.

outnumbered said:
D, I just think that on this site, history has shown that things get ugly quickly. Maybe this was the sole purpose for your thread, but I think it's a lofty goal.

My sole purpose is to entertain and to develope (with those who wish to participate) the ability to debate/disagree without the need for lapsing into rancor and incivility... Some possess these traits already.... They are the ones being entertained.

D

Last edited:
Prof said:
Go to the Keys for a couple of weeks and miss all the fun!

Radical people are most often the problem... Love the concept of "decriminalization" of Pot...Cigarettes kill over 50,000 non-smokers in the US every year...Really disagree with the concept that If you never tried it you shouldn't comment...Huge numbers of innocent AIDS victims need research to survive...Who cares if gay people are born or made...its their life...(but they are born, who would ever choose to be gay in this world?)

I loath the concept that if you are not Christian/Jew/Moslem/or whatever you are forsaken...that is a human religious concept certainly not a divine idea.

And I loved the hour it took to catch up on this thread.

I am not Christian, not a Jew, nor am I a Moslem...I do love Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Mohammad, Krishna, Buddha, Gandi and Tommy Chong...I try to gather those attributes that all of these great leaders/teachers have in common...there-in, I believe is the truth...It is always better to focus on what we agree on, before we work on those things that cause disagreement.

Happily enough, I find nothing (you've stated) with which I can disagree....:dontknow:

Glad you got in home in time for the fun...........:rock:

D

Django said:
Happily enough, I find nothing (you've stated) with which I can disagree....:dontknow:

Glad you got in home in time for the fun...........:rock:

D

Damn! I am going to have go back and edit my comments.

Prof said:
Go to the Keys for a couple of weeks and miss all the fun!

Radical people are most often the problem... Love the concept of "decriminalization" of Pot...Cigarettes kill over 50,000 non-smokers in the US every year...Really disagree with the concept that If you never tried it you shouldn't comment...Huge numbers of innocent AIDS victims need research to survive...Who cares if gay people are born or made...its their life...(but they are born, who would ever choose to be gay in this world?)

I loath the concept that if you are not Christian/Jew/Moslem/or whatever you are forsaken...that is a human religious concept certainly not a divine idea.

And I loved the hour it took to catch up on this thread.

I am not Christian, not a Jew, nor am I a Moslem...I do love Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Mohammad, Krishna, Buddha, Gandi and Tommy Chong...I try to gather those attributes that all of these great leaders/teachers have in common...there-in, I believe is the truth...It is always better to focus on what we agree on, before we work on those things that cause disagreement.

I have not been able to read all of this and for those who have responded to this in a similar way forgive me.................Prof........I can only say that we should be brothers.......I think the same way that you do.

Walt

I really think that most, after some thought, could find their way toward most of the ideas...not my intent to change people's minds. Just want to provide a little food for thought. Heck if our comments just make someone more firm in their own different beliefs...great! I just want people to think...not just spout comments...I still believe greatly in the mind of mankind...and that rational people with moderate beliefs will prevail.

Big Perm said:
The same self-proclaimed church supporters are the first people to point a finger, judge, and scorn others, as well as being part of the gossip group.....this hypocrisy (sp?) is why I don't go any longer.

In your example above, why should you tell the guy who screams blasphemy to go "STFU". If we should, in fact, be able to disagree without conflict, couldn't you either ignore their thread or just offer an intellectual response?? :D

I have lotsa' room to grow. This topic is my area of vulnerability.....I spent 40 yrs in churches listening to this kinda crap.... It makes me physically sick.

This particular brand of hypocrisy isn't (per se) within the context of this debate, anyway. But, nonetheless, as Roy said, (paraphrase) I find it reprehensible for religious people to claim (profess) death or even eternal damnation upon others simply because they don't belong to their belief support group.

A person who condemns another to perdition based simply on something they believe (Biblical or otherwise) is (in essence) usurping the authority of our Creator.... To me, that's blasphemy.... It's also damned rude, exclsuionary, intolerant and a buncha other bad shit I haven't thought up yet...

So yes, in the light of my adamance and their utterly blasphemous temerity, I may just lose it and tell them to STFU......

I'm human, so sue me....

But these things are products of religion. And this brings us all back home again. Religion is represented by the "letter of the law"... Spirituality is the product of the introduction of Light into human beings ...

The letter of the law kills, but the Spirit brings Life....

I am firmly against religion, but I am a persuer of the Divine Light.

D

Last edited:
there are certain patterns that people use,some deal in logic and some deal in emotion ,unfortunately these opposites will never be able to come understanding,reason being is that the people who use emotion will start saying nasty unforgiveable things to try and get their point across,while the people who deal in logic will come to the conclusion that they are arguing with an idiot

flchub said:
there are certain patterns that people use,some deal in logic and some deal in emotion ,unfortunately these opposites will never be able to come understanding,reason being is that the people who use emotion will start saying nasty unforgiveable things to try and get their point across,while the people who deal in logic will come to the conclusion that they are arguing with an idiot

I have some reticence to accept the existence of (either) a purely logical or a purely emotional person... I've never met one myself.

Most of the Mr Spocks I've met were also half human.

I really shouldn't comment on arguing with idiots......

But, I will offer you some periods and capital letters so you won't look like one.:eek:

D

Django said:
I have some reticence to accept the existence of (either) a purely logical or a purely emotional person... I've never met one myself.

Most of the Mr Spocks I've met were also half human.

I really shouldn't comment on arguing with idiots......

But, I will offer you some periods and capital letters so you won't look like one.:eek:

D
havent figured it out eh:D ,i'm entertained

By the way, I really don't wish to change anyones beliefs, specifically.

I consider it foolish or at least futile to attempt to change someone's mind about their belief in Mohammed was THEE Prophet, whether Jesus is the Messiah, or even if they believe that their dog is the smartest dog on the fkn planet.....

I do believe in discussion amongst those who seek the truth and who are sufficiently open minded to accept ideas and concepts which had previously escaped them....

Some of (what was once) Rome (intellectual/philosophic debate) was very, very good.

D

flchub said:
havent figured it out eh:D ,i'm entertained

When you attempt to fool others into underestimating you, it may be you who underestimates your opponent.;)

D

Django said:
When you attempt to fool others into underestimating you, it may be you who underestimates your opponent.;)

D
suttle sarcasm is always entertaining when no one gets hurt

Grammar, punctuation, spelling and lucid construction are critical to understanding. The intentional use of incorrect communication formats is rude, and certainly inserts noise into the communication process. It is tough enough to gain understanding in this limited dimension called the internet. The intentional insertion or deletion of accurate written style is incredibly self-centered and has ramifications far beyond the immediate message.

We are always sending messages and those who garble their written words are saying much more about themselves than they realize. Communication is constant, and irretrievable. Once the message is sent, it cannot be recalled.
I just want people to know that you cannot, not communicate, unless you never send the initial transmission. The wise person understands that the message is much more complex than the the letters, words and semantics that appear in front of the reader.

I think the lecture hour is over. Damn...I was just getting started.

Prof said:
Grammar, punctuation, spelling and lucid construction are critical to understanding. The intentional use of incorrect communication formats is rude, and certainly inserts noise into the communication process. It is tough enough to gain understanding in this limited dimension called the internet. The intentional insertion or deletion of accurate written style is incredibly self-centered and has ramifications far beyond the immediate message.

We are always sending messages and those who garble their written words are saying much more about themselves than they realize. Communication is constant, and irretrievable. Once the message is sent, it cannot be recalled.
I just want people to know that you cannot, not communicate, unless you never send the initial transmission. The wise person understands that the message is much more complex than the the letters, words and semantics that appear in front of the reader.

Damn it............... I still can't stop being in agreement with you...

It is quite self centered to intentionally create difficulties for others..Your entertainment at the expense of others is, frankly, self absorbed, juvenile and gratuitously manipulative.

D

Django said:
I believe that Jake, great guy that he is, is easily capable of withstanding the disagreement.....

I really appreciate Jake........ He is (in many respects) way beyond his years...

Thanks, Wifey for disagreeing so agreeably....

D

Thank you, Sir..... Very kind words (to me). :) The respect is much appreciated (and returned ;) ).

And thank you, Denise, for your input. :)

Last edited:
Django said:
This is NOT a debate about religion............. Religion just happens to be a component of it....

This debate is about freedom of speech and bigotry.....

Obviously, the point failed to be sufficiently communicated.....:mad: :eek:

D

I never said anything about the happenings on this thread.... I was merely just throwing a statement out there. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Django said:
By the way, I really don't wish to change anyones beliefs, specifically.

I consider it foolish or at least futile to attempt to change someone's mind about their belief in Mohammed was THEE Prophet, whether Jesus is the Messiah, or even if they believe that their dog is the smartest dog on the fkn planet.....

I do believe in discussion amongst those who seek the truth and who are sufficiently open minded to accept ideas and concepts which had previously escaped them....

Some of (what was once) Rome (intellectual/philosophic debate) was very, very good.

D

But, how is this "debate" not about religion again? :confused: :hmmmm2:

Django said:
Damn it............... I still can't stop being in agreement with you...

It is quite self centered to intentionally create difficulties for others..Your entertainment at the expense of others is, frankly, self absorbed, juvenile and gratuitously manipulative.

D

Strange Karma today...

Prof said:

and the same could be said about the abundant use of words in sentences to explain ones point that arent normally used in daily communication

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back