Drop-in vs. CAI

What to do for the MOST power

• Leave the K&N CAI on the truck

Votes: 38 60.3%
  • Put the stock system back on with a "drop-in" filter

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters
had_to_have_it said:
by the way here is the video of slow91's stock rc against a lightning with a pcm exhaust and pulley upgrade

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2780046009106484047&q=slow91+v.+l&hl=en

Dam, I Guess i just suck at driving because my buddy only has a upper pully and as you have seen in our vids that when i was stock I had a hell of a time just keeping up......maybe i need a driving school......how about it slow 91 , Are you coming to fl any time soon:)

stick said:
Thankyou for explaining,,,,, dam it almost sounded like something i could do until you explained it to me,,, thanks again
Your welcome bro:D
Cheers J.T.

06__QUAD__SRT10 said:
ndexing refers to an old racer's trick whereby the spark plugs are installed so that the ground electrode is oriented to face the intake valve (usually) in an effort to "open up" the spark to the incoming air/fuel charge. This is accomplished by placing a washer underneath the spark plug's shoulder area (of a specified thickness) so that after properly torqueing the spark plug, the electrode would be pointed in the desired direction, usually towards the incoming air/fuel charge from the intake valve.

Some racers have discovered that certain engine configurations made more power with the spark plug pointed away from the air fuel mixture.

It is important to note that any power increase will be small, typically 1-2% of total engine output, and the proper indexing orientation can only be discovered after extensive engine dyno testing.

Indexing is a waste of time for racers that do not have the training or the dyno facilities to document the results of their efforts. However, professional race teams racing in classes that have strict engine specifications can gain a slight edge over their competitors when spark plugs are indexed for optimum performance, provided they have performed adequate dyno testing.

Not too sure where you got the 1-2%. In the past 39 years I haven't found an engine's response to indexing to be that low....except maybe on Hemis.

Anyway, contrary to doing a Google search on indexing plugs (where they almost always refer to using washers), it isn't necessary to use them. As the threads are all different on the plugs, I just buy 20 plugs instead of 10 and install them one at a time until the electrode lines up properly. What a way to spend part of a Saturday ;)

If you look at the plug's wear pattern on a plug pulled from a Viper engine, the wear occurs right beside the electrode and NOT over the whole firing tip like, say a Hemi engine that has no natural squish/quench area. Or LS1s, that are different again. Or supercharged engines, or certain motorcycle engines, or...

Viper engines have a rather unique combustion chamber design and indeed DO benefit from indexing plugs. Personally, I don't feel a free 9+ horsepower gain is a waste of time. But a $400.00 K&N cold air kit sure can be a waste of money. :)

The 9+ h.p. gain (very close to the minimum gain) was on used plugs.

Just my 2 cents.

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Not too sure where you got the 1-2%. In the past 39 years I haven't found an engine's response to indexing to be that low....except maybe on Hemis.

Anyway, contrary to doing a Google search on indexing plugs (where they almost always refer to using washers), it isn't necessary to use them. As the threads are all different on the plugs, I just buy 20 plugs instead of 10 and install them one at a time until the electrode lines up properly. What a way to spend part of a Saturday ;)

If you look at the plug's wear pattern on a plug pulled from a Viper engine, the wear occurs right beside the electrode and NOT over the whole firing tip like, say a Hemi engine that has no natural squish/quench area. Or LS1s, that are different again. Or supercharged engines, or certain motorcycle engines, or...

Viper engines have a rather unique combustion chamber design and indeed DO benefit from indexing plugs. Personally, I don't feel a free 9+ horsepower gain is a waste of time. But a $400.00 K&N cold air kit sure can be a waste of money. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Ronnie

I had no Idea what indexing was :D :D :D ..... so google search it was :eek: :rock: wow you been working on cars since 1968 :rock: :rock: :rock: longer then Ive been on this planet

06__QUAD__SRT10 said:
I had no Idea what indexing was :D :D :D ..... so google search it was :eek: :rock: wow you been working on cars since 1968 :rock: :rock: :rock: longer then Ive been on this planet

Yeah it all started when I replaced the .050" head gaskets on my 9.25 h.p. 2- stroke 100 c.c. Yamaha motorcycle with Aluminum foil to increase the compression. I also bypassed the voltage regulator to give the points (if you remember plugs and points ignition systems) full voltage which cooked the points on a regular basis but it also provided a better spark and made it a little faster. (Kind of a poor boy's M.S.D. system)....
It was enough to beat my buddies 100 c.c. Yamaha that was always close enough to piss me off. :)

Ronnie

Last edited:
rottrn ronnie ,,,,you ought to explain in detail about this indexing in a new thread..... it sounds like the best bang for buck mod of them all. It is something I am very interested in......Are you coming to fl any time soon?:burnout: :)

stick said:
rottrn ronnie ,,,,you ought to explain in detail about this indexing in a new thread..... it sounds like the best bang for buck mod of them all. It is something I am very interested in......Are you coming to fl any time soon?:burnout: :)

I will start the thread...

Ronnie

I swear this is the best site on the net,,,,,,,there is so much to learn from all the guys here.......:rock:

How come everyone hates the Volant CAI? It's just like the stock intake but with a better filter and tube. Should be the best of all far as hp number's are concerned on a dyno. Hmmm.

Viperpowered said:
How come everyone hates the Volant CAI? It's just like the stock intake but with a better filter and tube. Should be the best of all far as hp number's are concerned on a dyno. Hmmm.

Likely something to do with that big horsepower claim that never quite lives up to it's real world results.

Viperpowered said:
I liked my Volant, esp. the sound. Customer service was excellent too.
My problem was with the engineering/fitment of the unit.

I'm very happy with my JMB.

I am pulling my K&N CAI off this week. Won't be reinstalling it, not because of it's performance.
Unless ViperTruck2933 still wants it (from last year), I'll post it up shortly with some other items.

Bone said:
I am pulling my K&N CAI off this week. Won't be reinstalling it, not because of it's performance. Unless ViperTruck2933 still wants it (from last year), I'll post it up shortly with some other items.
Thanks for the offer, Bro. :rock: I appreciate you keeping me in mind, but I have JMBs CAI on now. :burnout:

I will be installing JMB's CAI this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. I have been using Airaid drop in for almost 3 yrs. Should be able to notice good or bad. I think?

J.R.

JRSVIPR said:
I will be installing JMB's CAI this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. I have been using Airaid drop in for almost 3 yrs. Should be able to notice good or bad. I think?

J.R.
For one thing it's gonna sounds awesome. It's gonna GROWL like you've never heard it before...hehehehe.:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back