Engine Blew up, again.

these engines are all different, some you are able to pound on and never have a problem, some are put together loosly and well pop at the drop of a hat, fastestbricks is one of those,

all the engines ARE NOT the same, ask ramcharger, Jack is just one of the lucky ones that got a really good build from the factory

How worried should a guy be with no mods? Do these engines hold up ok to stock power/minor bolt ons?

#1-Make sure your tuner knows what he is doing. Detonation is an engine killer and with these engines...THE engine killer.
Throwing an engine originally designed for a Viper car into a truck places an additional 1900 pounds of grunt onto the engine, and just compounds the problem.
Mine (had) stock internals and was fine with a considerable boost in power. And some live with even more power than that. Others aren't so lucky.

You should be fine with the normal bolt-on type mods.

I can't stress the importance of a proper tune enough, though..

Ronnie

Last edited:
Stock rods don't like a 400-shot of NOS on top of the Roe 8.5lb pulley.

these engines are all different, some you are able to pound on and never have a problem, some are put together loosly and well pop at the drop of a hat, fastestbricks is one of those,

all the engines ARE NOT the same, ask ramcharger, Jack is just one of the lucky ones that got a really good build from the factory

Never buy one built on a Friday or a Monday.:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Sorry to hear about your troubles, that sucks.

Last edited:
Never buy one built on a Friday or a Monday.:elefant::elefant::elefant:

thats probably more truth to that than you think LOL

I've had guys with broken springs for no reason, they actually babied theres,

guys pop pistons for crazy reason, jsut all sorts of odd things with the trucks

finally come to the conclusion , if you got the $ to play, go for it, look at poolboy and jack , spraying like crazy and doing fine, others, a guy in bama sprayed once with a 100 shot and boom, all kinds of stories

Someone put turbos on theirs and boom. Imagine that :dontknow:

Smoke, Can't tell you how Sorry I am to Hear the News :(

If I can help turn a Wrench for you I will, just give me a Yell, I'm just on the Other side of the Water... :)

thats probably more truth to that than you think LOL

I've had guys with broken springs for no reason, they actually babied theres,

guys pop pistons for crazy reason, jsut all sorts of odd things with the trucks

finally come to the conclusion , if you got the $ to play, go for it, look at poolboy and jack , spraying like crazy and doing fine, others, a guy in bama sprayed once with a 100 shot and boom, all kinds of stories

Hey, hey, that's poolguy Tony, not poolboy.

But me and Jack did seem to get good motors considering the miles we have and the amount of spray. Sorry to here about the blown motor, heard that STS turbo isn't very safe or reliable.

These engines are NOT fragile. Mine has 60K miles and a 200 shot of nitrous. Probably ran 30 bottles thru it at 150 shot. Not real worried but it could let go tonite. Stock you should have no problem, turn the piss outta it. No actually shift at 52 to 5500 rpm and it should last a long time.

that's what iv'e been doin for 85k miles;)

That sucks, Scott... She lasted a LONG time with those STS turbos. I thought you really had it licked. :( I'm sure you and Stink can put yer heads together and come up with a better solution than $3000 (just for labor??? YIKES!).

..... So.... What you buying next? :eek::D:D:D

Sorry to hear that Flying low, definitely sucks!! :eek: To be fair on the engine though, you were making some serious power! These engines aren't the greatest at taking massive amounts of power 24/7. It's more or less the only reason I decided to stay NA with bolt ons on The Batram. Reliability and longevity is more important to me than overall hp and I'm happy with the current NA bolt on 590-600hp.

To the UK chap asking about issues, mine only has 10,000 miles or so now without any issues. I drive it HARD too (a little proof below). I drive them as they were intended, don't baby them too much, do that and you'll run into issues (that's my thought anyhow). You've got to let them run free. Not saying thrash the shit out of them but drive them as you would any car, cruise, lots of WOT runs, just enjoy it, safely and maintain it well. Mine was tuned by Torrie (like many guys here) and IMO, I agree with others, a good safe tune is the key, especially for those FI guys. I hope you get it sorted out Flying Low and hopefully on the cheap. Be good to see you keep it too. :)

167453_1853922387475_1223267486_32260914_917651_n.jpg

168429_1853922547479_1223267486_32260915_2220216_n.jpg

165525_1842198654389_1223267486_32237066_4138820_n.jpg

16458_1299236520675_1223267486_30919633_1302062_n.jpg

Thanks for the words. Still don't know what I'm going to do. Stinker is giving me some help like always.

Smoke

An Engine has never been made to withstand Heavy detonation. No matter how strong the internals are, if it's detonating it will fail sooner or later. Forced induction must be with lower compression ratios and closly tuned to prevent any detonation. All fuel and timing needs must be very closely controlled.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back