Engine is at Arrow

blackviper said:
Thanks Prof.

Sorry forgot to add the old number...call it they my be moving as we speak.

(800) 551-8477

Sean recommended that we speak with Todd...don't know if he is in the new organization.

joe has always got my truck in to tune and we never had to wait on him joe and justin will be comin to nm aug 9th no questions asked to tune the truck at elevation......... patience is a virtue

When my truck (and me) were at PBJ last year I was in the shop from opening to well past closing (usually midnight or so) with Joe.

Here are the "issues":

1) During business hours he's constantly talking to walk in potential customers to get price quotes, schedule dyno time, etc
2) He's interupted by UPS, Fed-Ex, etc
3) The phone is always ringing

You get the idea

Now mind you, when I was there he did have a helper with an extensive background from Chrysler, he would do some of the more simple jobs for Joe. Unless things have changed Joe hasnt found anyone to put the quality and time into the job like he does, its his name on the product when it goes out the door as well as his reputation.

In his interview process he lets the potential help know that if there is so much as an oil drip or any "issue" on a customers car after it leaves his shop that person who finished the project will be flying out to fix the customers car and get it done right.

He doesnt have a secretary mainly because he/she would only ask him 99.9% of the questions that he gets asked anyway on the phone, in person, etc so he isnt really saving time hiring one.

The bulk of his work (uninterupted) gets done after standard business hours when the phones dont ring, doors are closed, etc.

Trust me when I say he's busy from opening to closing and then some, he doesnt take a rest except MAYBE for lunch, I watched him and tried not talking cars and trucks with him because he loves them so much and it would only slow him down.

That was my experience from spending a week with him last year while he was working on my truck.

When I got the truck home I would call him on the phone (hoping he wasnt too busy) asking his opinion for tuning the VECIII for my elevation, he spent the time with me and I really appreciated it.

try finding some decent help these days. especially with these motors. they arent small block chevy's hell i dont trust a "viper tech" to work on mine. just a little look from the outside but its not like we have a whole lot of mechanics to choose from that know our engines inside and out.

Please do not misunderstand my post. I know that Joe is a very busy person. I am looking forward to getting my project completed as well as meeting the man who did the design.

I spoke to Joe today. He said he would give me a call tomorrow and let me know the results of his CAM investigation. It seems the recent problems were not due to the intake after all.

tinygiants said:
I spoke to Joe today. He said he would give me a call tomorrow and let me know the results of his CAM investigation. It seems the recent problems were not due to the intake after all.

It's good that you can get a hold of him:mad:

What were the problems?:dontknow:

Joe has a ROE truck at the shop and both of our engines are being built to the same specs. Until last week, Joe had been working on getting better airflow from the stock ROE intake manifold. When he tried it on the truck at his shop, he was getting a very bad run from the truck. He thought it was the intake plate mods he did that caused it to run poorly. He went back to stock, and the problem persisted. Now he believes the problem to be in the CAM. So until he gets to the root of the problem, my engine is not shipping out. He said he would call tomorrow.

tinygiants said:
Joe has a ROE truck at the shop and both of our engines are being built to the same specs. Until last week, Joe had been working on getting better airflow from the stock ROE intake manifold. When he tried it on the truck at his shop, he was getting a very bad run from the truck. He thought it was the intake plate mods he did that caused it to run poorly. He went back to stock, and the problem persisted. Now he believes the problem to be in the CAM. So until he gets to the root of the problem, my engine is not shipping out. He said he would call tomorrow.

I hope he figures out the problem:dontknow: I think these Roe trucks have alot more potential that what they have:rock: Does Joe work fridays?:dontknow: :D

Joe works all the time, but I know first hand his phone time is sporadic at best. I go weeks without word on my missed delivery times. At this point he is a victim of his own success. I hope to finish my project soon. I also hope that he is able to catch up and start meeting his commitment dates. His long term success will depend on it.

It just sucks cause he doesn't answer the phone anymore just a machine:(

It may be a turn off that he has an answering machine...but in my professional role as an executive coach I often tell executives that it is the first step in getting control of a persons business. Eventually every boss has to understand that one of the exigencies of ownership is giving up what you might love to do, in order to get the important things done...I refer to it as differentiating between the urgent and the important, and focusing your best efforts on the important and urgent things...often urgent things really are not important...like a ringing telephone. The answering machine (secretary, voice mail, email in box, etc.) provides a mechanism that allows for the differentiation.

As Joe gets a grip, he will probably move to one of those signs that says: "No Visitors in the Shop Due to Insurance Requirements". Once again this becomes a mechanism to allow focusing on the important things...customer service is critical but it has to be separated from operations.

Eventually he will have to delegate some of the things that he loves to do...it may be the customer contact or it may be the actual building of engines...maybe it is moving the accounting and billing to an accountant and it is always a tough choice...and control freaks like me agonize over the decision. A technique to accomplish the transition is to hire quality people and spend years molding them into highly trusted employees that will act as you would want them to 95% of the time. Failure to make the delegation decision greatly limits the growth potential of any business. But some only want to be owner operators.

Last edited:
I called Joe on Tuesday. He had not dug into the problem engine, so he had no new information.

Another week, still no news.

On a lighter side, a contact I made on here is planning a little trip to visit Joes shop. He promises to let me know how my engine is doing. I guess that is my consolation. If he does not ship my engine real soon, I am guaranteed not to have my beast for my summer vacation.

Got to talk with Joe today. My engine is scheduled to ship on Monday, and Joe still plans to make the trip and do the tune when I get it installed and ready. I just may have my beast for my birthday and summer vacation. I am sure it will not be tuned due to the break in period but progress is being made.

How late in the season are the tracks in Oregon open? My local track is only open till first week in October.

Awesome news Dale! I can't wait and I don't own it... :D

Wil

Well, tomorrow is the day. I just hope that I am not let down again.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back