Engine is at Arrow

Hey tinygiants are you having Joe come out to tune your truck when you get your engine reinstalled? I'm goinig to have Joe tune mine. I should be ready around 4/1. Maybe we can share the cost to fly out to the great northwest. Keep in touch.

HV SRT said:
Hey tinygiants are you having Joe come out to tune your truck when you get your engine reinstalled? I'm goinig to have Joe tune mine. I should be ready around 4/1. Maybe we can share the cost to fly out to the great northwest. Keep in touch.
Yes he is. It will be early to mid April if all goes well. I will be doing a dyno day on a Saturday for it. Do you think you could make your way to Bremerton WA? What kind of dyno facilities do you have available? Price? I have my local shop dyno available and will get a good price based on all I have spent on engine removal and install.

Here is the build list so far:

Dale,
Per your request :

PARTS LIST
hone cylinders w/plates
align hone mains
fit .003 oversized cam
key crank for ATI Bal.
balance assy
align bore billet main cap
main bearings #1 - #6
thrust bearing #3
diamond pistons
piston ring set (file fit total seal)
king rod bearings
pro gram billet main caps
ATI harmonic balancer
reman Gen III crank
reman front cover rear oil gasket
oliver rods
CUSTOM CAM
224/230 .610/.605 114 +2
lifters (fast ramp)(gen 1)
ported heads
2.02 1.60 valves (stainless)
single springs (625 lift)
titanium retainers

I think this is everything so far.... I will send you a revised list as the assemby process goes on.
Thanks,
Joe

The delays continue, but now I have an end in site.

I spoke with Joe, and my engine is together. He is working on my intake manifold as it is restricting flow to my newly ported heads. The heads flow 310, but the intake is restricted to 250. So he is working to make them match better. At any rate, we are looking at June 21 for the dyno tune. I will get the truck before that though. Joe feels like he will ship by Wednesday next week, but the install shop thinks there will be a delay on the install. I need to find out the real install date so Joe can take his time. I hear that ROE has done some things on the intake that have helped my flow issues.

blackviper said:
Do you know what ROE did to the intake?
I do not. HVSRT is the one who told me they changed designs. Joe is investigating.

tinygiants said:
The delays continue, but now I have an end in site.

He is working on my intake manifold as it is restricting flow to my newly ported heads. The heads flow 310, but the intake is restricted to 250. So he is working to make them match better. I hear that ROE has done some things on the intake that have helped my flow issues.

Are you talking about the stock manifold?

Last edited:
No, I am talking about the ROE manifold that mounts between the blower and the heads.

tinygiants said:
No, I am talking about the ROE manifold that mounts between the blower and the heads.

Thanks.. I didn't know it was a f.i. build...
(I should have read the tiny red printing)

Randy,
It is my understanding that the intake manifold has undergone a few changes since I got mine. I do not know the results of those changes, but I have heard it was intended to increase the airflow.

This is pushing into a seven month rebuild...that is just not right...IMO.

What is the delay?

While I have a lot of confidence in Joe's results, I am seriously troubled by the time required in process. Any comments?

I just may be jaded because of my experience with PBJ...mine was seven weeks after a five month wait for Joe.

Joe is in VERY high demand. People wait for him for months for one simple reason. HE IS WORTH THE WAIT.

I happen to know him personally and he is a great guy and one hell of a tuner.;)

2 cents

Can someone please post Arrow's pnone number or web page information? Thanks.

Prof said:

What is the delay?

While I have a lot of confidence in Joe's results, I am seriously troubled by the time required in process. Any comments?

I just may be jaded because of my experience with PBJ...mine was seven weeks after a five month wait for Joe.

I have to agree with Roy here:dontknow: Joe is a heck of a guy and tuner:rock: When he tuned my truck last year is was like magic watching him work:D He will more than likely tune my truck once I get it put back together again.:D

As far as business goes IMO he is way to busy to try everything on his own. He works like a slave all day long:( I was there for 7 hours and he never even stopped to piss or take a drink WTF?:dontknow: If he just had someone to answer his phone and keep track of things. He would be surprised at how much more he would get done:D

I am trying to get reinbursed for some parts he needed made that I managed to get done for him:dontknow: I know he's good for the money but this is what I mean by he has WAY to much on his plate;) Everytime I talk to him he tells me he's just been busy and forgets:dontknow: WTF?

Prof said:

What is the delay?

Roy,
I agree with you about the time. This is not what Joe and I agreed to at the onset.

Here are my issues:
Parts - some of the parts I waited on upfront just took longer than they should have, but Joe can not do much more than order and wait.

Sequencing - some of my delays were due to not ordering the next part until it was time to use it. For example the CAM was not sent out for chrome and machine work to match my bore until it was time to install it. This delay started because the block was machined at Arrow, and the Cam was ordered and installed by Joe. Joe lost track of the clearance issues caused when the block was machined off site. Certainly I would rather suffer the delay than to use a CAM that will just wallow out the journal.

Growth in Work - Joe found that my ROE intake is causing a significant restriction in my engines ability to breath. He has taken this on to resolve, but it has caused at least a month of delays so far.

Lack of Priority - my project keeps getting backseat due to other jobs. I am certain that my engine build started before some of the new work that keeps bumping my work was even scheduled. My engine landed at Arrow Racing on 12/21/07 on behalf of PBJ (Arrow did the machine work for Joe).
Joe tuned Hilgees rebuilt Hennessy truck here a few weeks ago. Maybe Hilgee made the appointment for the tune prior to my scheduling in early December.
Pinks was also a interruption. It shut down the shop for a week, but the week leading up to it, other things went back burner in order to get all the cars ready on time. My engine was one of the back burner things. I can not help but remember FIFO from my food prep days. First In First Out.

Here are the good points:
Joe was given a fixed budget to work in with a desired end goal. We agreed to this. Along the way he found some things that were growth in work (front engine cover and oil pump, remanufactured crank...) These things were aquired and added to the build ( fixed budget still). The intake has resulted in quite a bit of work, but again it is on a fixed budget. So while I am certainly frustrated at the time it has taken, it is better to do it right. Joe could have let the intake restrictions go as it was outside the scope of our agreed work.

Would I do it again?
That is a tuff question. I do not doubt that there are others that could have done everything Joe is doing. I would imagine that they would have been able to do it in a timely fashion. I know EED could have as well as Arrow. I am equally sure that they would have come in with a different bottom line though.
Would I trade more money for a faster turn around? As I sit here today, (beautiful weather in the festering !@#$hole) maybe. Joe said he would tune it for me even if I had it built elsewhere.

As a side note: Dan at DC Performance declined my truck. I was researching this build last Summer. Dan decided that he was not really interested in trying to mess with a ROE truck.
Dave at ROE informed me that ROE Racing was not interested in doing a build at that time, but he did recommend Joe at PBJ.
So I called Joe. He took the time to explain all my options including the use of others. I decided to go with the guy who had invested the time in my project even with out having money.

Final Concern: Tuning. This whole build was based on Joe doing the tune. I am so far behind, I am fearful that Joe will not have room in the schedule to fit me in. He has promised to fit me in anyway. We will just have to wait and see. It will all be worth while when I turn great times at the track and solid numbers on the dyno.

blackviper said:
Can someone please post Arrow's pnone number or web page information? Thanks.

They are closed. Under new ownership and should be open in a new location very soon.

tinygiants said:
Roy,
I agree with you about the time. This is not what Joe and I agreed to at the onset.

Here are my issues:
Parts - some of the parts I waited on upfront just took longer than they should have, but Joe can not do much more than order and wait.

Sequencing - some of my delays were due to not ordering the next part until it was time to use it. For example the CAM was not sent out for chrome and machine work to match my bore until it was time to install it. This delay started because the block was machined at Arrow, and the Cam was ordered and installed by Joe. Joe lost track of the clearance issues caused when the block was machined off site. Certainly I would rather suffer the delay than to use a CAM that will just wallow out the journal.

Growth in Work - Joe found that my ROE intake is causing a significant restriction in my engines ability to breath. He has taken this on to resolve, but it has caused at least a month of delays so far.

Lack of Priority - my project keeps getting backseat due to other jobs. I am certain that my engine build started before some of the new work that keeps bumping my work was even scheduled. My engine landed at Arrow Racing on 12/21/07 on behalf of PBJ (Arrow did the machine work for Joe).
Joe tuned Hilgees rebuilt Hennessy truck here a few weeks ago. Maybe Hilgee made the appointment for the tune prior to my scheduling in early December.
Pinks was also a interruption. It shut down the shop for a week, but the week leading up to it, other things went back burner in order to get all the cars ready on time. My engine was one of the back burner things. I can not help but remember FIFO from my food prep days. First In First Out.

Here are the good points:
Joe was given a fixed budget to work in with a desired end goal. We agreed to this. Along the way he found some things that were growth in work (front engine cover and oil pump, remanufactured crank...) These things were aquired and added to the build ( fixed budget still). The intake has resulted in quite a bit of work, but again it is on a fixed budget. So while I am certainly frustrated at the time it has taken, it is better to do it right. Joe could have let the intake restrictions go as it was outside the scope of our agreed work.

Would I do it again?
That is a tuff question. I do not doubt that there are others that could have done everything Joe is doing. I would imagine that they would have been able to do it in a timely fashion. I know EED could have as well as Arrow. I am equally sure that they would have come in with a different bottom line though.
Would I trade more money for a faster turn around? As I sit here today, (beautiful weather in the festering !@#$hole) maybe. Joe said he would tune it for me even if I had it built elsewhere.

As a side note: Dan at DC Performance declined my truck. I was researching this build last Summer. Dan decided that he was not really interested in trying to mess with a ROE truck.
Dave at ROE informed me that ROE Racing was not interested in doing a build at that time, but he did recommend Joe at PBJ.
So I called Joe. He took the time to explain all my options including the use of others. I decided to go with the guy who had invested the time in my project even with out having money.

Final Concern: Tuning. This whole build was based on Joe doing the tune. I am so far behind, I am fearful that Joe will not have room in the schedule to fit me in. He has promised to fit me in anyway. We will just have to wait and see. It will all be worth while when I turn great times at the track and solid numbers on the dyno.

Wow!

I have never heard a complaint about the final product from PBJ. I do worry about the long term survivability of a business that seems to have so little organization. There is more to business success than a quality product. That quality product is the hardest to achieve and Joe seems to have that. But we all have to learn to delegate and manage resources that enable us to maintain our quality products. Joe needs help...remember when X-Metal got into this same bind...Gary has now decided to cede Rams to the competition.

Good luck Joe...but get some help.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back