Engine Tick!!!

yellowFeVEr#270

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know now how loud our engines in these trucks are, but i believe my truck has a valve tick. The hotter it gets the more noticeable it is. I may be trippin out, but everything i have ever known about any engine tells me i should be looking around for some internal engine components. Just wanted to see if this is normal or should i be concerned. I will try and get some video clips up tomorrow.

how loud??? i had a lifter fail and it got LOUD and lucky it was a 20$ part, well minus new gaskets and such..

Its loud enough to have me concerned...very concerned. I do this for a living, but with what i read i learned that these motors are loud but i have literally zero experience with the viper engine, everything i know tells me that i have a lifter failing...

What oil are you using? How old is the oil? Some change to a heavier oil to help with the tick issue. Hard to diagnosis with the information given.

This is how you correctly remove a tick...next question.

tick05.gif

Great, Now i have to wipe coffee off my monitor........!!

If you haven't done so you need to get under the hood and give it a good listening to. If you have headers a small gasket leak can sound like a lifter. So can a loose spark plug or a broken valve spring.

Great, Now i have to wipe coffee off my monitor........!!

If you haven't done so you need to get under the hood and give it a good listening to. If you have headers a small gasket leak can sound like a lifter. So can a loose spark plug or a broken valve spring.

Great info for sure! I'm thinking one of those ^^^

I've had my truck about 3/4 weeks, and I've noticed it too. I'm definitely still not used to the motor sound, and still am skeptical to the "tick". It sounds a lot like an exhaust leak, but I can't find anything. About the loose spark plug possibility, wouldn't that cause a misfire?

when warm it should sound like a mariachi band under the hood...now if the sound gets louder than the engine under mild to moderate throttle then something isnt quite right....removing the spark plugs and (reading) them can tell you a lot!!....I can slightly hear the valve train clatter when at an idle at a stop light if there are no other noises...

Last edited:
Mine is the exact same way. Cold it is quiet. When hot it ticks on idle pretty loud. As soon as it gets revved up a little it goes away or you just can't hear it anymore over the engine and exhaust. However, it does not get progressively louder with RPM indicating metal banging on metal.

It bothers me too, but we are all describing the same thing. I say normal part of noisy Viper motor.

I'm not too worried about it. It's definitely not as loud as the one I heard when another member was worried and posted a video..I did just go out to the truck after posting, was checking bolts, (no spark plugs or others were loose), but I saw a little oil residue by the fill cap. I was looking for maybe exhaust manifold signs of leakage. I thought initially maybe there was some spillage when the oil was changed, but being as meticulous as I am, I knew I wouldn't have left it like that. After checking the fill cap, and concluding that it wasn't exhaust soot, I went bolt checking. I wasn't sure what size the valve cover bolts were, so I was trying different ones, none would fit, each were loose fitting, THEN I noticed that the bolt I was trying them on was just THAT loose, I don't know how it happened, or when, but I went ahead and snugged it back up, and checked the others. This, I'm sure has nothing to do with the noise, because with the engine running, I put my calibrated ear up to the motor on each side of the valve train and injector areas, and it was equal on both sides, but I thought I'd tell a story! Can I get in trouble on here for writing a Mini Novel?!

Nope. Type until you wear the letters off the keyboard or burn a hole through the screen of your smartphone.

I'm not too worried about it. It's definitely not as loud as the one I heard when another member was worried and posted a video..I did just go out to the truck after posting, was checking bolts, (no spark plugs or others were loose), but I saw a little oil residue by the fill cap. I was looking for maybe exhaust manifold signs of leakage. I thought initially maybe there was some spillage when the oil was changed, but being as meticulous as I am, I knew I wouldn't have left it like that. After checking the fill cap, and concluding that it wasn't exhaust soot, I went bolt checking. I wasn't sure what size the valve cover bolts were, so I was trying different ones, none would fit, each were loose fitting, THEN I noticed that the bolt I was trying them on was just THAT loose, I don't know how it happened, or when, but I went ahead and snugged it back up, and checked the others. This, I'm sure has nothing to do with the noise, because with the engine running, I put my calibrated ear up to the motor on each side of the valve train and injector areas, and it was equal on both sides, but I thought I'd tell a story! Can I get in trouble on here for writing a Mini Novel?!

I wanna hear more about this calibrated ear...

Mine has a really loud tick as well. Ever since I bought it. I use the head in sand method of dealing with it. It's been fine for 10k miles so far. Louder the hotter it gets.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back