Evans Coolant

yellowfever#154 said:
8 kPa @ 80C thats pretty impressive. Is there anywhere suppliers in Alberta Ron?

I'll check but I don't think so. I first heard about this from a machinist in Balzac (of all places). This guy works with FACTS and numbers and swears by the stuff. He made some pretty amazing claims. And it uses NO water at all in the cooling system..in fact you can't use water with the stuff.

Here is another thread from this forum: http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872&page=3&highlight=evans+coolant

It might be a good option when we go to Vegas in the Winter because they DO NOT allow di-ethylene glycol at the track and getting the cars down there without completely draining them first can be a problem.

How is your project coming along? I talk to Joe from time to time...

Ronnie

Last edited:
Ronnie, it seems this product would probably allow us to run more timing based on its consistency to cool the entire metal surface it contacts. No hot spots would equate to less detonation. Is this correct?

blackviper said:
Ronnie, it seems this product would probably allow us to run more timing based on its consistency to cool the entire metal surface it contacts. No hot spots would equate to less detonation. Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.

I know with the Strikers, the improved coolant flow through them dropped my temperature gauge noticeably. There could still be some hot spots (who's to know?) but if the coolant itself could help out, that would be worthwhile to me...

The stuff isn't cheap but it is a one-time installation and there is NO corrosion.
I really do like the idea of using NO water. I'm sure there are much better fluids than that for making quick directional changes without getting "all pissed off", and this may be one of them...

Reducing or eliminating localized hot-spots could make a nice difference..
And you can reduce the overall pressure in the entire system- rad, heater, hoses and all...

Might be worth looking into....

Last edited:
I agree, I like the idea of no water. I see what happens when people dont service the coolant regularly at work. Its pretty ugly, pin holes in liners, sludge, etc. I will have my parts people do some checking around tomorrow for anywhere that supplies it in the area.

The project is coming along, slowly. The engine is back in the truck, now just trying to get a different tranny for it before next spring.

This stuff may even be the trick for my car, it seems to run hot all the time and I cannot get it to run cool. The car would be the perfect test mule.

I have a few friends that have used Evans Coolant for years and swear by it. One is running a 87 GN with 550hp and it runs alot cooler.

Thanks for the info. There are a couple of guys that run it in their "Busa's and (they said) not only do they run cooler but even in stop and go traffic, the temperature never moves.

There are some folks that seem to really like the stuff. I'm curious why no OEM has used it?

let me know if you find a place here or even if you want to do a bulk order to Alberta. I will put my wad a cash into the hat for some.

I found this. Not sure how it would apply to us but I will post it anyways.

The cons are that it has a higher viscosity and hence if the
stock radiator and water pump do not have a high enough flow
capacity, it will end up being a worse solution than the
conventional cooling system. The guy I spoke to at Evan's
distributor said that he thinks the VW radiator is not
efficient (high-flowing) enough, and the thermostat may have
to be bypassed.

There are other available non water based coolants. One I have experience with is XF+ Coolant distributed through ZipTy Racing. If I recall 1/2 gal is about $24. This type of coolant(s) principal advantage is there is no water that will boil at 100C. Additives you find out there do little to change that basic principal. By using non water based products you can greatly increase the boiling point. No boil equals no loss of fluid and runaway heat issues leading to possible engine failure. Biggest issue switching to this type of product is you must must must remove all water from the system. Any water left in the system will boil at 100C regardless. Plan on buying extra to flush the system. Even then you may have some remaining

Products like water wetter do help by increase water's contact to the surrounding surface. Water naturally doesn't like to adhere to other surfaces. Put a drop of water on a glass....droplet remains. Add water wetter and the droplet flats out thus increase contact with the glass. These nonwater based coolants offer the same advantages.

Another principal advantage of regular coolant is the additives like Silicates (for corrosion) and others to prevent Electrolysis. I've viewed these nonwater based coolants as short term use only. XF claims it offers the same protections but I can not say for certain in long term usage. For daily usage I'll stick with regular coolant for the known protections.

Last edited:
Chuck,

Thanks for the information.

Evans is claiming that with their product, water pump lubrication is covered, corrosion is a non-issue and their product is for VERY long term use.

I just wanted to throw it out there to see what others may think about it...

Ronnie

Last edited:
wonder how much it expands??????

ZCx said:
wonder how much it expands??????
Very little if it doesnt boil...again back to getting all the water out of the system. Even a little bit of remain water will boil and quickly push fluid out.

I run non water based coolant in my 450X and use in a manner that would boil the water multiple times during a ride. Once I made the switch I've never boiled over (cant) however I still keep an eye on temps as too hot is still too hot. There's been a few times I've had to shut it down and let it cool off. Nice part is I wasn't sacrificing my drinking water to refill like before... When you are out in the desert water becomes pretty important. I certainly do not want to be refilling my radiator with "my" water.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back