Handguns

RatMotor said:
Those Kimber's and Sigs look badass, but pricey. Forgive a possibly naive question, but what does a $1000 gun get you versus a $500 gun(Ruger, Glock, etc) Weight, accuracy, capacity, reliability, craftsmanship?

There are many reasons..... QUALITY, and Craftsmanship are two of the big reasons to buy a more expensive gun.

Like shopping for Lasik Eye Surgeons...... I wouldn't necessarily want to "skimp". :D If you saw a Lasik place advertising $10 eye surgeries, would you go there? :confused: :D

......... I wouldn't go cheap on my firearms either.

Glock is a good gun.... Kahr is a good gun (my first gun was a P40).... Hell, even Taurus has some good pieces.... But, you wont see ANY of those in my cabinet now. :dontknow: ... Just my 2 cents. :eek:

(OH, and you were looking at RETAIL pricing...... I know that I can get a Sig P229 for about $700 all day long :) )

Sig Sauer everytime, only if you want the best, I have owned just about every make of handgun through out my life, the first gun I ever bought was a Sig p220, every gun I got after that wasn't impressive, the sig is the best combat handgun there is, H&K is a close second, the germans know how to cars and guns, to me sig=mercedes

Black1 said:
There are many reasons..... QUALITY, and Craftsmanship are two of the big reasons to buy a more expensive gun.

Like shopping for Lasik Eye Surgeons...... I wouldn't necessarily want to "skimp". :D If you saw a Lasik place advertising $10 eye surgeries, would you go there? :confused: :D

......... I wouldn't go cheap on my firearms either.

Glock is a good gun.... Kahr is a good gun (my first gun was a P40).... Hell, even Taurus has some good pieces.... But, you wont see ANY of those in my cabinet now. :dontknow: ... Just my 2 cents. :eek:

(OH, and you were looking at RETAIL pricing...... I know that I can get a Sig P229 for about $700 all day long :) )
:rock: :rock:

Yo Rat,

You might want to go to your local shooting range and rent a few different brands and models and really know (with) which one you're most comfortable...

Alot of folks have their preference... But you need to find yours after some hands on experience.....

Shooting ranges rent all kinds of handguns.... Try 'em all.... But remember that if you have kids in the house to lock your piece away from them... We'd hate to see any horrifying reports of firearm mishap....

I shoot GLOCKS myself...... They're really simple and kinda idiot proof.... Some guys don't like the hard trigger pull...You can fix that with a little work, but I think it's a little safer myself....

Also understand that in The People's Republic of California you cannot load more than 10 rounds into your pistol and be legal..... Many guys say screw that shit and import hi-cap mags from other states... Then say that they bought 'em before the gun ban....(right)

I do like GLOCKS.... we have 3......... a 9mm for my wife and I have a 2 gun rig with 40cal left and .45 right.

My backup piece is a 4inch S/W model 29........... .44mag.

Good luck with your search...... Be careful, my friend..... BTW, you'll need to take a brief gun safety test and pass it in order to purchase a handgun in California....

D

Last edited:
areuv said:
Sig Sauer everytime, only if you want the best, I have owned just about every make of handgun through out my life, the first gun I ever bought was a Sig p220, every gun I got after that wasn't impressive, the sig is the best combat handgun there is, H&K is a close second, the germans know how to cars and guns, to me sig=mercedes

I thought SiG Sauer was a US company (Exeter, New Hampshire)??? :dontknow:

I know I am in the minority,but the 1911 style is just the only semi-auto for me.I carry a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Edition .45.Slightly pricey at $1,700,but well worth it for reliability.Hate the look and feel of Glocks,Kahrs,Sigs.I guess they would work,but I am old school.

Django a gun-toter!!! ....... and a 2-gun RIG, no less!!!! :eek: !!!! Who knew!?! :dontknow: :D :D :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

You rock, Timmy! :rock: Must be rough out there in Oceanside. :D :p

Django said:
Yo Rat,

You might want to go to your local shooting range and rent a few different brands and models and really know (with) which one you're most comfortable...

Alot of folks have their preference... But you need to find yours after some hands on experience.....

Shooting ranges rent all kinds of handguns.... Try 'em all.... But remember that if you have kids in the house to lock your piece away from them... We'd hate to see any horrifying reports of firearm mishap....

I shoot GLOCKS myself...... They're really simple and kinda idiot proof.... Some guys don't like the hard trigger pull...You can fix that with a little work, but I think it's a little safer myself....

Also understand that in The People's Republic of California you cannot load more than 10 rounds into your pistol and be legal..... Many guys say screw that shit and import hi-cap mags from other states... Then say that they bought 'em before the gun ban....(right)

I do like GLOCKS.... we have 3......... a 9mm for my wife and I have a 2 gun rig with 40cal left and .45 right.

My backup piece is a 4inch S/W model 29........... .44mag.

Good luck with your search...... Be careful, my friend..... BTW, you'll need to take a brief gun safety test and pass it in order to purchase a handgun in California....

D

When did it become illegal to load more than 10 rounds...?...I know you can't buy hi cap mags in State....but I have 13 rounds in my Glock 23 and several back up mags....I bought them all in '93.....:dontknow:

Back on topic....if you don't shoot a lot a Glock is a great choice...not as accurate but ones at the range have 10,000+ rounds through them without as much as a cleaning...

Sig&Sauer P226 .357/.40 Cal. You can switch between the two calibers by only changing the barrels.

I have shot 4050 rounds(Sending to a gunsmith soon) and never had a jam. I even mix rounds brands in the same magazine and no jams. I do clean and maintain my gun pretty good...

.40 caliber is big enough for the stopping power but small enough to carry more per magazine. The are cheaper then .45 also.....

BTW it's heavy but really accurate....and has no safety...if the slide is forward....and you pull the trigger.... it will shoot...

Last edited:
Nowwhat said:
When did it become illegal to load more than 10 rounds...?...I know you can't buy hi cap mags in State....but I have 13 rounds in my Glock 23 and several back up mags....I bought them all in '93.....:dontknow:

Back on topic....if you don't shoot a lot a Glock is a great choice...not as accurate but ones at the range have 10,000+ rounds through them without as much as a cleaning...

It was illegal while the assault weapon ban was in place. That part of the ban expired and it's no longer illegal...

Nowwhat said:

I had to go to Vegas to get my high cap mags, Mike....

I think it's been this way for at least 10 yrs......

Goes for long guns, too......

Thanks, DiFi........u !@#$%^&*()#$%^&*($%^&*$%^&*...!!

D

i have a S&W .357 magnum.. stainless steel revolver :D does this make me old fashion cowboy ??:dontknow: :D

Sorry , i never thrust those auto-ones in house envirement...what i like about my revolver is that after every shot you have a safe weapon in your hand , as with auto ......Also to many accidents happend with that forgotten bullet in the barrel... :eek:

Nowwhat said:
personally Rugers don't do it for me...the trigger action is like snapping a piece of glass...

for a nice big gun....H&K USP .45....smooth....accurate....reliable...

What he said I have a H&K USP Compact .45 the thing is awesome!

rugers dont do it for me either, trigger pull too long. kimber and sig makes fine pieces, glocks arent as accurate but will fire under any conditions, right now ive got a springfield xd in .357 sig that shoots like a dream, my brother has a sig in 40cal thats awesome. i bought a sig in .22 for my daughter last christmas thats built like the big guns, guality is excellent. im kinda old school too, love the 45 autos.wouldnt mess with a desert eagle 50 if you just want it for target shooting.

I have a

H&K P2000 in 9mm. It comes with a number of hand grips that change out fairly easily so that you can ajust for fit. It's very light and compact. Easy to clean. Paid in the $700s.

Sig P229R DAK in 9mm. It's about the same size as the H&K but quite a bit heavier. The DAK is double action only which means every trigger pull is a full pull (6 pounds of pressure). Easy to clean. Paid in the $800s.

Kimber TLE II (Model 1911) in .45. This is my favorite. Takes a little more effort to clean than the other two but well worth it. I got an awesome deal on mine. Paid in the $800s.

S&W 500 (4inch barrel) in .50. This gun is rediculous. It's huge (10 1/4 long) even with the 4 inch barrel. A box of ammo (12 rounds) costs nearly $40. It's not a gun you can fire all day at the range but it's super fun. Retails about $1200 but I picked mine up for $700 at a gun show.

I love shooting the Kimber and the S&W but my favorite toy at the range is my Armalite M15A2.

I've found that I'm more accurate with the heavier pistols. I tend to be all over the target with the lighter ones. Range ammo for the .45 is not much more than it is for 9mm. I pick mine up at Walmart usually.

I would recommend an M1911 in .45.

The next pistol I am getting is Gun Crafter Industries M1911 in .50 that can be changed out to .45. Last I looked it was around $3000 and the ammo is not cheap as GCI is the only one who makes it. I have to wait till I have more dollars than sense though.

Whatever you get I'm sure you'll love it!

I don't love guns, I just really hate paper. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back