Hp gains from oil??

Discussion in 'Dyno Stuff' started by Gaboon, Aug 31, 2007.

1. 500snakz

500snakz Full Access Member

I tried rp 10w30 and it made the lifter noise louder. Switched back to m1 0w40 with a quart of synthetic lucas oil stabalizer. Truck is much quieter and smoother running. RP here is $8 bucks a qt and mobil1 is on sale for 5qt 0w40 and a m1 filter for 26.49.

The purple color is neat looking going in tho.

2. Fepony

Fepony Full Access Member

I got some high HP stickers i'll sell ya cheap....:D

3. spydertt

spydertt Member Supporting Member

I found this post because I just bought an SRT10 that has lifter noise. My last one had none ,so I was a little concerned. The previuos owner said it was normal.
    Found the info on oil interesting. I own a 3000gt (trying to get 600hp out of a 3 liter and keep it streetable) twin turbo that I love to flog and boost the crap out of. A well respected engine builder recommended Joe Gibbs oil. He told me to break it in on non-synthetic with a break-in additive ( I used Lucas ). Then switch to the Joe Gibbs oil, he said the racing oil ( off road use only ) has chemicals that potect the engine better. I am no expert but he has one fast Stealth so he must know something. I think that Royal Purple also has a racing oil that is easier to get in my area. I'm going to give it a try.

4. 71dusterjon

71dusterjon Full Access Member

has anyone used shell helix 5w40 oil? thats what i'm running in my motor since we have a 55 gallon drum of it at the shop for the ferraris.

5. kickinassrt-10

kickinassrt-10 Full Access Member

I don't buy it that RP or any oil for that matter gains hp. Synthetic no doubt helps but all oil does is lubricate how in the world could that gain hp???? I'm calling placebo affect....lol

6. SANTEEN

SANTEEN Active Member Supporting Member

:withstupid: Like he said...:D

7. DevilDawg3097

DevilDawg3097 New Member Supporting Member

In simple terms RP doesnt break down nearly as fast as most synthetics which inturn it does not heat up as fast which resaults in better HP. I did a post when I first joined, anyway sent out oils samples for contamination and break down and RP at 6000miles still didnt break down like Mobile and castrol did at 3k (I used to use nothing but Castrol synthetic). I didnt do no dyno test but just over all drop in temps (without tuning I.E. 170 fan on) But I am going to 20W50 as Patrick suggested. So imo it is worth the extra bucks.

8. mysrt10

mysrt10 Been there, done that Supporting Member

i'm no oil expert but i do know that synthetics reduce friction. less friction=more power

9. gunu

gunu New Member

now thats thinkin with ya dipstick !!!! jimmy

10. Hatedonmostly

Hatedonmostly Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!

Damn joe gibbs oil?????????? never heard of that, man he is into football, chevy trucks, Think nascar too and now some joe gibbs EARL........

11. VENOMOUS1 RACING

VENOMOUS1 RACING Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!

It's purely BS!! You can actually free up HP not increase it by having a LESS viscosity oil. Also during the time it took to drain the oil and change filter and put everything back including 10 Fn quarts of COLD oil you will show a little HP increase on a dyno. Doesn't mean the oil itself did it. Too many variable to make any kind of conclusion.

As others have stated only a UOA ( used oil analysis) is going to determine which oil protects better. You will see the exact metal content in the oil, from copper ( ughh!) , manganese, aluminum, steel, etc. and those results tell you after many comparisons as to which oil protects better. You WILL NOT gain HP from oil!! You MAY free up 1 or 2 ponies by using a synthetic over a "dino" due to the less friction of the synthetic. As of the latest I've heard in the LSX world of which I also belong, and I hate to say the word, but Pennzoil took #1 in oil comparisons with RP, Mobil1, Castrol, Lucas, Valvoline, and many other top performing ( based on claims) oil. Pennzoil Platinum took the cake and ate it. Now after many years under the hood of various cars I could tell one oil from all the rest due to the gunk and matter that collected in the intake valley and top of heads as well as in the oil pan and I could always tell the customer " you are using Pennzoil aren't you?" They would be like , yeah how could you tell? Then I show them the contents and pictures of where these contents came from and they would NEVER use it again. Pennzoil got a bad rap from the get go because of the amount of ASh used in their oil. That's pretty much what was left behind after being in a motor with 3-4000 miles cahnge intervals and over a 100k teardown. I hated the stuff and after reading the latest UOAs I've seen as hard as it was to put it across the scanner at the store I tried it. I am on my 2nd oil change and haven't drained it to see how it looks but I'm hoping not like water as Mobil 1 has done lately.( 4-5 years).

Supposedly Mobil 1 had changed their proprietary blend and it hasn't been as good since. Now I've heard this for at lest 4 years and still continued on with M1, even in my 10. ( Still on Mobil 1) and out of warranty. Wasn't till a few months ago I decided to change the oil in my WS6 to Pennzoil Platinum. All I can say is the MOST important thing to do to any engine is change your oil at recommended intervals or less. That is the key to long engine life. Like others have said, it's not neccessarily the oils fault as far as breakdown. They are made to breakdown and we have to be responsible as to change it during it's breakdown or prior.:burnout:

12. kickinassrt-10

kickinassrt-10 Full Access Member

yea synthetic definitely reduces friction, it's somewhat lab made oil that's humanly enhanced....
    I agree with venemous1 purely bs. You can have your $10+/qt rp and watch the "cool looking purple oil" go in..... I'll stick with valvoline or try pennzoil....I too heard mobil 1 has been slipping up on their act lately!