IndyCoder Improving !!!!!

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Man, that's some good news, thank you Kevan. Time to double down on the thoughts and prayers, boys...
You said it Steve...Great news Kevan..Thanks.

He has come a long way. I hope it won't be long before he is back here chatting with us.

Bill.

Thanks for the update again Kevan. You really deserve a lot of credit going over to that hospital almost daily. We really appreciate it. The news just keeps getting better. Keep it up Indy!

Any chance we can get a pic of the hot nurses? LOL

patrick

From Chaplin Steve:

Dave,
Last night, Phil was really trying to say something to me, I'm not sure what. It sounded like he said, "Cameron" to his son. Also got a big smile when I told him, You've come a long way baby!" I guess that they had him sitting for a short time in a chair over the weekend. They were supposed to move him to a different room last night or today... a Good sign! My wife and Sharon and I are going down tommorrow night: the last time we'll be going for a few days due to our annual camping trip over the holiday. Have a SAFE one! Steve

Kevan said:
Hey folks!

I saw Phil for a little while this afternoon. He's looking much better. The left hand is working just fine, but the right still needs some work. Both legs are working well. He's moving them all the time.

The trachea tube is still in, but Phil's trying to talk! He said some words today, but I couldn't really understand what he was saying.

The other cool part is that he certainly knows females from males. LOL He kept trying to look past me to the nurses station. I looked back, saw the nurse...she was kinda hot (there's a plethora of fine women at that ICU...wow). I didn't think much about it; just typical male reaction stuff. When she came in to write down some numbers, I said, "He certainly knows where the nurses station is.". She said, "Yeah, probably because I was washing him earlier". Ahhh....so that's where Phil's smile was coming from. :D I'd say he's on the road to recovery. LOL

The patch of hair on his head is growing back nicely. The abrasion on his knee is almost totally healed. He's able to nod his head for 'yes' and shake his head a little for 'no'. He's also turning his head a lot more. I went over to the window and asked him if he was enjoying the rain. He turned to the right and looked over at me. There's still room for improvement there, but it's way better than before.

I believe Phil's mom was in Indy today at her own doctor's appointment. I'm pretty sure Chaplain Steve from the track is making regular visits as well.

As I've said before, I'm no doctor, but I think Phil's ready to be moved to a 'normal' room, or even transfered to Indianapolis. He's FAR from being out of the woods, but he's climbed a helluva lot of that hill.

I'm going to try to stop in tomorrow PM.
More updates coming!

Thanks Kevan for the update. Much improvement with Phil...that's awesome.
Really helps help when they can control a temp.:D

UPDATE!...and a good one at that!

I went to the ICU this afternoon, but Phil WASN'T THERE!!!
Yep- he's been moved over to the regular trauma section on the same floor. He's still got close eyes on him, but he's no longer in the ICU!!! Great news.

Mrs. Smith and Cameron were on their way thru rainy traffic while I was there with Phil alone. He was very awake, and smiled a bunch. He's VERY active, especially his feet and legs. I think he just wants out of bed! :)

His left hand is working great, but the right still could use improvement. He's turning his head MUCH better/easier. The trachea tube/oxygen tube/water tube makes the head-turning a little difficult. As I left today, I put a little 'plush' ball in his right hand and told him to squeeze it every time he sees a hot nurse. LOL Hey- I'm trying to motivate him!

I spoke with Mrs. Smith tonight. She said that Phil has actually been up and walking!!!! Not to the store and back, but at least to the door of the room and back to the bed. The doctor said that he's done it a couple of times now (I'm not sure if the walks were solo or assisted). She said there's still a slight limp with his right leg. It looks like the right side is going to need the most work.

Phil did try to talk to me again today. It's REALLY hard trying to understand what's being said. I know he's trying just as hard to tell me. We REALLY need his lungs back at 100% so that tube can come out! For all of us!

It sounds as thought all of our schedules are working out for Phil, but we don't get to talk with the other visitors: Chaplain Steve and his wife have been by a bunch of times, then me, and then his Mom and Cameron, but the last few days none of us have met up. Oh well.

Phil was starting to nod out, so I took off for the day. I'm going to try and stop by again before we leave for Rhode Island (my mom's wedding). I turned the radio down a couple of notches and quietly said I'd see him later.

On the phone tonight, Mrs. Smith said they are still talking about the transfer back to Indianapolis and how that will work. It'd be best if they could do it after the trachea tube is out. That would make the trip MUCH easier.

I gotta say, things have REALLY improved for Phil. We just need that trachea tube out, and some right arm action. Even with an automatic, ya gotta be able to shift! :D

P.S.- Cameron's had log-in trouble lately. If I'm not here, I'm going to send him your way, Patrick. Cool? Thanks.

Very cool.

Way to go Phil...squeeeeeeeze that ball

Jeff

That is great news! Keep trying and sqeezing that ball.
Mas

Still a long way to go Phil...but what great news...a long way was doubtful not long ago...continue to be tough...only you with a lot of support can make the full trip.

This is really super news Kevan.

Screw squeezing the ball when you see hot nurses. Get your ass out of bed and start chasing them down the hallway.:p

Once again, great news and thanks Kevan for keeping us informed.:rock:

Keep it up, Phil, we're all still praying and pulling for you. And, thanks for the updates.

Super!

Attachments

• angel.gif
    angel.gif
    53.2 KB · Views: 24
Such great news!! Keep it up Phil. We need you back here almost as much as your family needs you back. Keep up the great progress!!!:D

Stretch

Kevan, Super news. Every little improvement is a step in the right direction. Kevan, you rock :rock: taking your time to spend time with Indy and to keep us posted. You need to set up someone in his family here and instruct them on how to post his progress after he's been transfered back home. Hopefully once he's out of the hospital, he'll be able to post again himself. :)

Back