IndyCoder Improving !!!!!

From Chaplin Steve:rock: :rock:

Dave
Kevan probably told you, but he got Phil to raise 4 fingers, one at a time! It has really been cool to see the progress he has made in 2 weeks. Maybe we ought to send Grant Hospital a bill for the professional rehab services we've rendered.
Hope all is well with you and how did you guys do in the softball tournament?
Will sure miss Phil when he goes home, but that's just selfishness talking...it really must be hard on his mom and son.
Well, getting for a two day race at Trails this weekend; be talking to you. Steve

P.S. No, the chaplain ain't cute!!!

bumpity bump bump

Damn....Bone stole my thunder. :D

Here's the basic run-down of the great news:
  • No more ventilator!
  • No more pain meds!
  • PLENTY of eye contact!
  • Voice recognition and reaction!
  • Coughing! (It sounds odd, but it's a good thing)

Phil's trachea tube is getting it's oxygen/H20 from the "wall" now. This means that he can probably be moved out of the ICU and to a normal room. It would also make transferring him to Indianapolis much easier.

The only medication he was on looked to be some heavy duty antibiotics in two different flavors.

Phil is coughing. This is a good thing. He needs to get all that nasty stuff out of his lungs, and get his lungs back in shape after being on the ventilator for so long. I'm no doctor, but.....I do have NBT on speed-dial. :D

With Chaplain Steve there, I wanted to try something so I began testing Phil a little. He moved his eyes over to mine when I spoke. I said, "Hey Phil, can you do the number one for me?", holding up my index finger. I then asked, "How about number 2? Or 3? Or 4? Or 5?" He was looking directly at me the entire time. It took about 10 seconds, but then he moved his left hand up toward his face.
And held up his pointer finger.
Then held up a "peace sign".
Then held up 3 fingers.
Then held up 4 fingers.

That was VERY cool! I was so excited, as was Chaplain Steve! We both cheered a little, and Phil cracked a smile.

Chaplain Steve went to the other side of the bed and we tried to get Phil to turn his head left to right in response to our voices. He made about 70% of the turn toward the Chaplain, then used his eyes for the remainder. Again, a very good sign.

As we left, I put on the History Channel for Phil. His mom said he liked that. It was a show on the history of UFO's, which I kinda wanted to watch myself. LOL We said our goodbyes, and started to leave. Phil didn't wave, but he did raise his left arm as if to half-wave (or tell us to get the f*** out. LMAO). We said we'd check in on him this weekend.

It was a very good visit. I was surprised to see all the improvements Phil had made.

Awesome Kevan. That really makes me smile. Thanks for a great post!

You really have the ability to put into words exactly how you feel in that hospital room. How you describe everything really comes across fantastic. Good job bro!

patrick

No offense to the Chaplin...........:eek:

That's God Damned outstanding news Kevan :rock: :rock: :rock:

Kepp it up Phil so next year I can come to Nat's and choke you in person....LOL Keep fighting and Don't ever give up !!!!!!!!!!!! You are missed and Loved Bro.........:D

Kevan said:
U can't leave us hanging! :D Great news again!

Alittle late on this one...:(:(

That is some great news.......keep up the good work.....Indy I don't pray much but I do say one for you and smoke just about every day.

Walt

glad to hear that he is doing good,dont know phil but he is in my prayers everyday.

just a little bump

Good Morning Indy, Hope this day finds you a little stronger.

Jeff

Been gone for a few days and lost track of what was happening. Glad to hear Phil is improving all the time. Get well soon Indy.

Great news alll around, his recovery is indeed remarkable. Looks like Phil may be able to speak with us very soon. Thanks for the updates guys.

Silent D said:
I hope this is OK.............. Another prayer for Indy:

Father we thank you for the great progress that Phil is making in his recovery.

We realize that not ALL miracles happen according to OUR schedule or timetable. Considering that, we thank you for the gift of patience in this time of rehabilitation. We are encouraged by Phil's progress thus far and we pray that you would help us to be thankful for each of Phil's little successes.

We ask that your blessings of peace, confident resolve and restfullness will be upon Phil's family and we friends who await Phil's full and complete restoration.

We ask that your angels would continually encamp around Phil and protect his body from ANY and ALL potential attacks of infection in particular.

We thank You Lord for selecting thee most caring, kind and skilled medical practitioners to operate and assist in Phil's complete healing...for which we thank you by faith....In Jesus Name....

Amen

Amen.

Very good news. It makes me feel very good to hear about Phil's progress. Thank you Kevin.

Bill.

Kevan said:

Here's the basic run-down of the great news:
  • No more ventilator!
  • No more pain meds!
  • PLENTY of eye contact!
  • Voice recognition and reaction!
  • Coughing! (It sounds odd, but it's a good thing)

Phil's trachea tube is getting it's oxygen/H20 from the "wall" now. This means that he can probably be moved out of the ICU and to a normal room. It would also make transferring him to Indianapolis much easier.

The only medication he was on looked to be some heavy duty antibiotics in two different flavors.

Phil is coughing. This is a good thing. He needs to get all that nasty stuff out of his lungs, and get his lungs back in shape after being on the ventilator for so long. I'm no doctor, but.....I do have NBT on speed-dial. :D

With Chaplain Steve there, I wanted to try something so I began testing Phil a little. He moved his eyes over to mine when I spoke. I said, "Hey Phil, can you do the number one for me?", holding up my index finger. I then asked, "How about number 2? Or 3? Or 4? Or 5?" He was looking directly at me the entire time. It took about 10 seconds, but then he moved his left hand up toward his face.
And held up his pointer finger.
Then held up a "peace sign".
Then held up 3 fingers.
Then held up 4 fingers.

That was VERY cool! I was so excited, as was Chaplain Steve! We both cheered a little, and Phil cracked a smile.

Chaplain Steve went to the other side of the bed and we tried to get Phil to turn his head left to right in response to our voices. He made about 70% of the turn toward the Chaplain, then used his eyes for the remainder. Again, a very good sign.

As we left, I put on the History Channel for Phil. His mom said he liked that. It was a show on the history of UFO's, which I kinda wanted to watch myself. LOL We said our goodbyes, and started to leave. Phil didn't wave, but he did raise his left arm as if to half-wave (or tell us to get the f*** out. LMAO). We said we'd check in on him this weekend.

It was a very good visit. I was surprised to see all the improvements Phil had made.
You are so good at keeping us updated with all the details!! - Good Job :D

Phil, you need to get the hell outta OH - sounds like that day is coming fast :dancing: :star: :rock: RIGHT ON DUDE!! :D

Thanks again Kevan for all your hard work and concerns in keeping us updated. Thanks also to Chip and Lori :rock:

Great news. Next time you talk to him tell him to hurry up and get on his feet. I'm getting tired of seeing his mug every time I post something LOL. Not only that, but I was counting on his vote for my presidential run, he told me I had it. I figured I would run this year, and sneak into office hehehehehe.

:love: Teriffic News,
I haven't been online for a while and today was a good day to do it..Phil,
I think you have a nice looking mug....don't let them tell you otherwise.....Hurry and get better so you can use those fingers for typing...we miss you
MOM:love:

Hey folks!

I saw Phil for a little while this afternoon. He's looking much better. The left hand is working just fine, but the right still needs some work. Both legs are working well. He's moving them all the time.

The trachea tube is still in, but Phil's trying to talk! He said some words today, but I couldn't really understand what he was saying.

The other cool part is that he certainly knows females from males. LOL He kept trying to look past me to the nurses station. I looked back, saw the nurse...she was kinda hot (there's a plethora of fine women at that ICU...wow). I didn't think much about it; just typical male reaction stuff. When she came in to write down some numbers, I said, "He certainly knows where the nurses station is.". She said, "Yeah, probably because I was washing him earlier". Ahhh....so that's where Phil's smile was coming from. :D I'd say he's on the road to recovery. LOL

The patch of hair on his head is growing back nicely. The abrasion on his knee is almost totally healed. He's able to nod his head for 'yes' and shake his head a little for 'no'. He's also turning his head a lot more. I went over to the window and asked him if he was enjoying the rain. He turned to the right and looked over at me. There's still room for improvement there, but it's way better than before.

I believe Phil's mom was in Indy today at her own doctor's appointment. I'm pretty sure Chaplain Steve from the track is making regular visits as well.

As I've said before, I'm no doctor, but I think Phil's ready to be moved to a 'normal' room, or even transfered to Indianapolis. He's FAR from being out of the woods, but he's climbed a helluva lot of that hill.

I'm going to try to stop in tomorrow PM.
More updates coming!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back