Kicked A Rod

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by HaulinAsp, May 31, 2008.

1. msnbcnnbcbs

msnbcnnbcbs New Member

Hiya folks,

I just bought a 2005 RC and came across this thread searching for initial bolt-on threads (go figure). Truck has 6800 miles and only one previous owner. I traded in a 2003 Dakota R/T.

I read through the whole thing and needless to say I am becoming hesitant to mod this engine now. I was thinking of just doing a drop-in k&n, tune and 170 tstat, but after reading the thread the tune is worrying me a little bit. I probably wont be daily driving it (for now).

for the person who asked, I believe the aluminum viper was a derivative of the old 8.0 cast-iron magnum, which was derived from the 5.9L/360 magnum , although I don't remember any of them having these issues (but then again, none of them revved to 6k stock :) )

I didn't see it specified but was the O.P. running boost or nitrous? Or doing anything else that would have pushed his RWHP past 500?

2. JRSVIPR

JRSVIPR New Member Supporting Member

First of all welcome to the VTCoA, I am a daily driver with 62,000 miles. Bolt ons are fine, Enjoy the ride.

3. ViperPunk

ViperPunk New Member Supporting Member

ya i wouldn't worry too much cuz there are guys on here with superchargers and nitrous on stock motors its all about the tune and what shot/amount of boost you try to push on the motor stock

4. Ironhead

Ironhead Full Access Member

many have run up to 600 on stock internals weather its a turbo or S.C

stock many have and still do run a 150 shot of gas and are still running good ,,,but anything over 600 rwhp and your flirting with KABOOM

5. HaulinAsp

HaulinAsp Full Access Member

Ugh.... Wouldn't ya know it, my old thread. Hate to say it but I remember this like it was yesterday.

6. moparviper

moparviper Full Access Member

Wow. Just read this thread. I had to go walk over and grab a beer just to read this:creep:

7. HaulinAsp

So what does a good/clean v10 block go for nowadays? :dontknow:

I have a good top end- heads intake ect. i could get the crank cleaned up and inspected. just wonderin is all.....

8. HaulinAsp

this engine was never sprayed. or boosted. or forced induced.

9. Psycho1122

Psycho1122 Full Access Member

Yeah..... however, It clearly suffered from detonation. Detonation is NOT "pinging" or "knocking". It supersonic and occurs quickly without much audible warning. Instant damage is usually the result.
    No bluing of the big end bearings, cracks and condition of the piston tops (especially above the ring lands), once the piston(s) started to stick in the cylinder(s), the rod finally broke towards the small end which verified the environment.

These engines require a nod towards a rich condition. The combustion chamber is NOT efficient and detonation prone. You need the extra fuel to keep it cool. That is why from the factory, the A/F is 10:1 at high rpm at WOT.

I would not tune it untill you have a AEM wideband A/F guage. Even a "can" tune will be safe rich (11:1) from an expirienced, reputable tuner.

Cheers:)