Kicked A Rod

It goes without saying that Stinker is correct about tuning. But the chances of Boom with a FI engine are just huge compared to normally aspirated engines...it is the eternal trade-off...the more go the more dough that is on the line.

If you are not ready to pay to play...stay on the porch...with me!

Prof said:
It goes without saying that Stinker is correct about tuning. But the chances of Boom with a FI engine are just huge compared to normally aspirated engines...it is the eternal trade-off...the more go the more dough that is on the line.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :rock: :rock: :rock: :D

Prof said:

it's alittle un-nerving about tuning..... all, and i mean ALL of the tuners have had failures.... :(

rottenronnie said:
Oil cavitation may be an issue with these engines, but the photos of your rod bearings and pistons are textbook detonation failures.

Me Three!!

One observation though, as penny pinching as Dodge bean counters seem to

be, why did they spend the $ in R&D etc; to beef up the 08 blocks considering

such a small (relatively speaking) increase in power?:dontknow: .

supercar1of1 said:
Me Three!!

One observation though, as penny pinching as Dodge bean counters seem to

be, why did they spend the $ in R&D etc; to beef up the 08 blocks considering

such a small (relatively speaking) increase in power?:dontknow: .

Hmmmmmmmmm...

Maybe a supercharger is in the new Viper's future?

moparracing said:
tony, i may buy something from you yet - a forged engine. :D
LOLOLOL cool beans:D

the one is $8500 with all goodies.

the other is $12,500 and the very same engine underground uses to make regularly ove 1200hp, and I know there history, not anything wrong with number 1 deal, jsut dont have history about it:D

rottenronnie said:
Oil cavitation may be an issue with these engines, but the photos of your rod bearings and pistons are textbook detonation failures.

That's what I see.

No oiling problem associated with this faiure........

:) Folks if you look at my posts as I posted them, once I pulled the #3 rod- or what was left of it I said DAMN-:( it was cavitation- and I posted that up for my friends here.

Then as I further pulled some more rods out and looked, I said uh oh.... not entirely the case....;)

I even hinted to Prof, that I had pics- he would pop his twizzler stick over. :marchmellow:

Then I posted the pics of the pistons. . . . :argh:

The pistons are junk -PERIOD.:mad: As each one came out I examined them, I took a few pics after examination and confirming what Prof has been quietly professing. Then upon examination of the ring land areas on the # 9 piston I noticed a small hairline crack- I turned the piston and spied another. I took my fingernail and ran it through this area- and out popped the section of piston between the ring pack!! When I pulled the piston it appeared fine. Closer examination revealed otherwise.:(

I can only surmise that the #3 bearing possibly starved itself at one time or another, then really took abused and a pounding once the piston let go. I can't explain why #4 looks way better though- the rest of the bearings look absolutely fine. In fact the wear through the engine looks fine also, I can attribute that to my religious oil changes with Royal Purple Synthetic oil. :congrats:

Bottom line is friends, Dodge went cheap on their supercar engine. :( This area is those junk ass money saving hypertectic pistons:argh: . They were in a pinch to solve a emissions problem *numerous respected Viper Techs told me this info*.... The only the reason I can come up with for saving money and solving their emissions hurdle was that- upon startup the engines had shown blowby when cold with forged pistons, they solved their problem by installing hypertectic pistons that are known to swell as the heat gets into them. Their expansion rate is greater than a true forged piston.

Also the unmeaty piston design is for being able to rev in the rpm band like these engines were designed for. Had they put enough time into the design, the hypertectic pistons probably would weigh quite a bit more than what we have and this would have cost the engine power. Dodge and Chevy have always been in the hp wars and they don't like losing.;)

I really don't understand why they couldn't or didn't investigate further with the forged pistons that they USED to install in the earlier Viper engines. Maybe it was machining costs and time? I cannot answer that.:slug:

Fact is these pistons are a HUGE weak link-

Followed closely by the rods.

Then there is a known problem with #3 rod bearings -taking an exteme abuse- more so than the others- Is it block distortion? Dunno.

I strongly suggest an aftermarket damper to improve the torsional dynamics that the crankshaft puts into the engine.

It really sucks that my engine went like it did. Once again I shame Dodge for skimping on their supercar engine.

Sorry for the long winded post. I hope it just helps my friends here with a better understanding as to what can potentially happen, but with preperation and thought into the purchase of hop up items you guys can combat this potential problem.

Haulin;)

Last edited:
Haulin, sorry to hear about your engine going south. Any signs or hints that it was going to go kaboom before it did?

I have my 06 RC at the dealer now to get the calipers and pads replaced. Seeing this thread and several others on the subject, I just called my dealer to request they advise on any known engine issues. What prompted my call to the dealer (besides these threads) was that since I have owned my truck (bought new back in Jan. of this year), I have noticed a black soot or carbon build up forming on the exhaust tips. The build up is not heavy and only seems to form on the lower portion of each tip. Cleaning it involves wiping it away with a shop rag. The build up seems to happen each time I dirve it, under varying conditions and duty cycles. With just 1700 miles on the clock, I want to make sure this carbonizing/soot build up is "normal". I personally don't think it is normal with just 1700 miles showing. Anybody else notice anything like this?

I do get a little buildup on mine also. I always attributed it to the truck running rich.

FastRam said:
...I want to make sure this carbonizing/soot build up is "normal". I personally don't think it is normal with just 1700 miles showing. Anybody else notice anything like this?

Normal...if someone does not have it, their engine is on the edge of disaster.

The engine needs to avoid detonation at any cost...one of the safest ways to avoid this situation is to pull timing when things get hot, and that makes the engine run rich. Rich is good, because it is cooler. Lean is bad because it is hot!

The soot is an indication that your engine is running a little rich, which is the place to be for a daily driver...if you are an all out racer, you will do many things to avoid pulling timing, but you are trying to be on the bleeding edge of safety...the eternal trade-off.

Thanks Prof. I appreciate the feedback. I wasn't sure if the build-up was an oil blow-by issue. FYI: The Viper/SRT tech at my dealer is very knowledgable about these products, maybe he can (or will?) share some insight into engine failures/weak points. We'll talk later today after I pick up my truck.

Blow-by that is of concern is that which is experienced in the valve covers...every time you wipe off your exhaust tip...smile, because it is susposed to get a little dirty.

I also had this. In stock form from the factory they run very rich. I put mine in the dyno and it went so rich it was off the chart. Dodge plays it safe.

Thanks for the update sorry though never cheap to loose a motor. Let us know what goes back in it.

RMoore said:
Thanks for the update sorry though never cheap to loose a motor. Let us know what goes back in it.
:) Thanks, I have an idea what will be installed:marchmellow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back