Kicked A Rod

My first problem is locating a block....... then I can start from there. This one is T-O-A-S-T.

JTJasper2002 said:
he might be shedding some more tears over some ice cold beer... lol
I did shed more tears and beers:eek: and then proceeded to pass out......

This whole experience has been extremely deflating. I am at a loss for words seeing how Dodge decided to skimp the costs on their supercar engine. The engine just clicked over 50K I bought it she had 28K and the payments still need to be made on a supertruck that sits in the driveway......:(

HaulinAsp said:
I did shed more tears and beers:eek: and then proceeded to pass out......

This whole experience has been extremely deflating. I am at a loss for words seeing how Dodge decided to skimp the costs on their supercar engine. The engine just clicked over 50K I bought it she had 28K and the payments still need to be made on a supertruck that sits in the driveway......:(

Welcoome to the club.... try having your motor shell out on you then finding out it's been rebuilt twice before you bought it

Damn.... Hook a chain to that thing and use it as an anchor....

Sorry for yout loss bro.. I am very interested in seeing the rebuild... Whatever it may be.

Good luck to you.

HaulinAsp said:
Thanks Treker, I am weighing my options right now....

Man, still waiting on your paypal acct., the info you

provided was worth it. Wouldn't take that many more and you would be fixed!

Really supercar1of1, I really appreciate the generousity to me in my perdicament, it really says something about your character- and I thank you from my heart, but I have to decline your offer. It would not even dent the costs of a replacement engine. My block is toast, so in order for me to build it back up I first need to locate a good core block. I am a blue collar guy, (i.e. salary) and it's gonna take me quite some time to be Viper Powered again. This devistation really sunk my ship. I am still making payments on this truck too no less, and it being the Dodge Supercar engine, it was my dream truck. It lays in my driveway while I am forced to continue making payments on a truck I cant drive. I am so disappointed in Dodge and their money saving tactics the snuck on us. Jesus Christ it's their flagship supercar engine.... I guess I expected top shelf quality.

Last edited:
HaulinAsp said:
I am so disappointed in Dodge and their money saving tactics the snuck on us. Jesus Christ it's their flagship supercar engine.... I guess I expected top shelf quality.

man i completely agree with you i also expected the best.. if it makes you feel any better X2 Builders offered to Sell me a Short Block for 8500 bucks our of a wrecked SRT-10.. thats ready to drop in and go

Oil cavitation may be an issue with these engines, but the photos of your rod bearings and pistons are textbook detonation failures.

Last edited:
I agree with the above...not that you didn't have cavitation, but what did the electrodes on the plugs look like? Could we get a close-up pic of the tips??? Also a close up of the piston dome tops.

rottenronnie said:
Oil cavitation may be an issue with these engines, but the photos of your rod bearings and pistons are textbook detonation failures.

Nobody listens Ronnie:eek: if there was an oiling problem , there would be tons of these things in vipers an trucks shooting out the pistons, Like Prof, You and others have noticed, the top of the piston is useless, and I think it was Prof that even said , probably 90% are cracked.
Thats all I'm gonna say on this here subject, :D

Stinker said:
Nobody listens Ronnie:eek: if there was an oiling problem , there would be tons of these things in vipers an trucks shooting out the pistons, Like Prof, You and others have noticed, the top of the piston is useless, and I think it was Prof that even said , probably 90% are cracked.
Thats all I'm gonna say on this here subject, :D
good point, but why is it most often #3 that goes ?:dontknow:

i take it that your opinion is that even the blown forged engines are a tuning issue ?:confused:

I do recall a couple of years ago a comment about torque causing some binding in the #3 hole...some have reinforced the motor mount there to guard against the sleeve being torqued out of round...

Alas, we only have bits and pieces of info...that seem to contribute to our engines becoming bits and pieces...

moparracing said:
good point, but why is it most often #3 that goes ?:dontknow:

i take it that your opinion is that even the blown forged engines are a tuning issue ?:confused:

Its just my opinion and observance bro, look back on every single engine that has been lost, they are either FI, nos, or and most are recently tuned.

There probably is some technical mumbo jumbo about number #3, possible intake design? but mainly Prof has said it best bo, the pistons in the oem set up is weak, very weak, some may be more than others. but it is the weak link.

It just seems to me that if it was an oilin issue, there would be alot more vipers and trucks out there, going boom.
And Hell I could be wrong:D , but lookin at his pics, it looks like detonation, and how many stockers are out there with 20-50k miles and still running?

Like I say bo, I just see to many things in common with most of the blown motors, and seeing the stock pistons and the weakness of them

Prof said:
I do recall a couple of years ago a comment about torque causing some binding in the #3 hole...some have reinforced the motor mount there to guard against the sleeve being torqued out of round...

Alas, we only have bits and pieces of info...that seem to contribute to our engines becoming bits and pieces...
so maybe it's not cavitation, tuning or oil pressure - it's just that these aluminum blocks can't take the torque and that forging only buys time..........:(

are more '04's blowing up than '05's ?? this might lend to the tuning & lack of a knock sensor on the '04's.......

Last edited:
moparracing said:
so maybe it's not cavitation, tuning or oil pressure - it's just that these aluminum blocks can't take the torque and that forging only buys time..........:(

dont think thats it friend, Underground has been building Gen III's for a long while now, all easily making over 12-1300rwhp, and they jsut dont run into this problem of a twisting block.

Could be any of the above or all of the above...I do feel that the pistons are the weakest point.

But there are so many variables that we will probably never know for sure.

Enjoy what you have, protect as best you can, but every time you put your foot in it, you are getting closer to BOOM. But that is true of ever performance engine. The question is when will you hear that sound, not if you will hear it.

Plan for it, and expect it...any other approach is a wish and a prayer.

Stinker said:
Its just my opinion and observance bro, look back on every single engine that has been lost, they are either FI, nos, or and most are recently tuned.

There probably is some technical mumbo jumbo about number #3, possible intake design? but mainly Prof has said it best bo, the pistons in the oem set up is weak, very weak, some may be more than others. but it is the weak link.

It just seems to me that if it was an oilin issue, there would be alot more vipers and trucks out there, going boom.
And Hell I could be wrong:D , but lookin at his pics, it looks like detonation, and how many stockers are out there with 20-50k miles and still running?

Like I say bo, I just see to many things in common with most of the blown motors, and seeing the stock pistons and the weakness of them
so even with the forged engines that blow, you think it's tuning ?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back