Kicked A Rod

HaulinAsp said:
Mods on truck- Mopar Long Tubes with Cat Delete pipes, Magnaflow Cat-back, Owner fabbed Cold Air Intake, Custom SCT (94 octane tune, 100 octane tune and nitrous tune- it's been on the 94 octane tune- never ever sprayed it -don't even have a set up on the truck) South Bend Clutch Stage-3 clutch....... That's it as far as engine mods......
Hmmmm SCT.:dontknow: :( Not pointing fingers,But.:p

How many miles does the truck have on her (almost asked how many miles did she have on her, but didn't want to confuse her with the missus)? This is a pretty catastrophic event for a basically stock motor. Of course your primary focus is on the missus. Maybe this is a diversion for you to focus on when you need a break from everything else thats going on for you?

amtrucker22 said:
Just curious if you see any mod in particular that he did that might have caused this? From his signature it does not look like a whole lot was done to his truck that would of caused this type of thing, but I am a noob to the engine thing.:dontknow:

I agree with you though! You gotta be willing to pay if you play.

When I read the list of mods, the thing that jumps out at me is the headers, cat delete and magnaflow exhaust.

That is a considerable improvement in the exhaust side. However I did not see anything to increase the fuel flow to compensate for this. This failure may have been due to detonation from a lean condition. By reducing the back pressure you allow more fresh air to enter the cylinder. When this happens you also need to richen up the fuel mixture.

Well so much for that idea. He posted the full mod list while I was typing my response.

Last edited:
Wow...
Terribly sorry to hear about your truck. I hope that you can figure out a way to get it repaired. There seem to be more and more "boneyards" that my have a spare block and extra parts. Hope it works out for you.

Can ya folks please post up some links to these yards?

I want to yank this engine and see exactly what is salageable.

I do have another set of heads from a member here, he stated his truck had roughly 5000 miles on it when he installed ported heads, I bought them at a good deal as I was gonna do a port and polish job on them. Also have another intake manifold that I was gonna polish ( this one is not damaged- albeit the interior of it needs a cleaning).... I was blowing wet oil out the exhaust too.....

I thought my engine was pretty tame compared to some of the members here with stock bottom ends....

HaulinAsp said:
Can ya folks please post up some links to these yards?

I want to yank this engine and see exactly what is salageable.

I do have another set of heads from a member here, he stated his truck had roughly 5000 miles on it when he installed ported heads, I bought them at a good deal as I was gonna do a port and polish job on them. Also have another intake manifold that I was gonna polish ( this one is not damaged- albeit the interior of it needs a cleaning).... I was blowing wet oil out the exhaust too.....

I thought my engine was pretty tame compared to some of the members here with stock bottom ends....
Sorry about your ride,I do not know what i would do.:( www.x2builders.com

hmmmm that sucks sorry to hear.. but the best bet for you would be just buy a used engine for 5 or 7 k and drop it in... skip the 10k rebuild...

Last edited:
sorry about your ride there Haulinasp, I dont have the time to run to charlotte, but got a call in on an engine for ya, much better than a junkyard engine.
but probably a lil more expensive, will let ya know ASAP:)

That sucks to say the least. Anything that came apart can be put back together with time and money. You can make it better than it was before.

So, as far as rods go, is it more the manual transmission (Regular Cab) engines failing? Is it due to high r.p.m. missed shifts or what? How many with QCs have had a rod or two go south? I understand a bad tune can hammer bearings but if these rods are stretching and snapping it sounds more like a high r.p.m. issue. Where are they breaking? Rod bolts? Rod bolt area? Beam? Small end? Maybe we should start a post on trucks with engines that have failed.

Too bad Dodge assembled a performance engine with parts more fitting a garage queen. I forget who I talked to but they had a new ('06) Viper in their shop that kicked a rod with 8 miles on it! Everything mechanical has a limit but a Viper engine SHOULD hold together with the basic mods that a lot of owners do, I.M.H.O. The farther away from stock (as in more power), the more you take your chances; I know, I'm one of them and it just keeps getting worse!
I've heard the '04s have bad rods but better pistons and the '05s have better rods but thinner pistons...any truth to this?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to see this man. I have been fighting my truck for a year now. Everytime i drive it something goes. in the past month been a rear, driveshaft, and 2 clutches. Nothing like a motor and cant imagine what it feels like. i hope you get this sorted out

Clearer pics

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0511.JPG
    IMG_0511.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0517.JPG
    IMG_0517.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 137
Yes it had Sunoco gas in it Super- and I usually run the Pro Blend Additive. It was a mail order tune through this site.

o man this sucks only thing i can say is if your going to not mod her very much when you get it back take it back to stock block wise keep your mods and when you get it put back together take it stright to the dyno an have it dyno tuned

HaulinAsp said:
Clearer pics

Damn!! I feel your pain:( Those pics look just like mine. I am still trying to figure out when and what I am going to do with my truck:dontknow:

JRSVIPR said:
Hmmmm SCT.:dontknow: :( Not pointing fingers,But.:p

Sorry to hear about your problems.

I say its the Lucas additive...tests show that it foams up and there goes the oil pressure. The link i had to the Lucas oil tests (Bobistheoilguys) has been removed....i wonder why?:mad: I would suspect the SCT also.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back