motor upgrades

I think they are ready now. Stopped by this morning and he said he would finish up this afternoon.

Ironhead said:
ya they called me and i paid up ,,,:rock:

Did Steve say it was ready for pickup?

Ironhead said:
yes so did lady that took my info ,,

Just called them. Closed on weekends. I will go by on Monday.

Did you talk to them about shipping or did you want me to ship them back?

If so, USPS? UPS? How much insurance did you want?

ok here is the next question for the peeps here ,,
after i get this put together am i going to be safe to start up this set up on a stock tune just to get it running ,,,i was thinking i can get some race gas and cut it 50/50 to help from detonation on start up ,,,or should i call say roe and ask if they can do me a mail order tune to get running till i get someone to dyno tune it ???

Ironhead said:
after i get this put together am i going to be safe to start up this set up on a stock tune just to get it running ,,,i was thinking i can get some race gas and cut it 50/50 to help from detonation on start up ,,,or should i call say roe and ask if they can do me a mail order tune to get running till i get someone to dyno tune it ???
that is what i would do

my tuner told me i should be ok to start it up...an me an you are running the same cam and head set up........only problem we should have is with the pcm trying to learn where to idel at....thats where the tuning comes into play im going to install my motor an drive it for 500 miles then have it dyno tuned after its broke in......a mail order tune wouldnt be a bad idea but i wouldnt think it is needed...but then again im breaking in a bottom end also and you are not

The tuning at Idle will be done with Short Term and Long Term fuel trims. You adjust the Short term trim which in turn will adjust the Long Term trim.

Now with your heads and cam, you will be flowing more air. Thus, more fuel being needed. If you are rich now, you may be good after. If you are good (~12.5 A/F ratio) now, you will be lean with this upgrade.

Idle tuning and WOT throttle tuning are two different issues.

What are you using or planning to use as a tuner?

If your cam is not too wild, you may not have to tune for it. Trucks/cars today will adjust for minor mods. However, I have seen a SRT-10 truck from a previous member (no longer on here) put too big of a cam in his truck which caused Idle issues (stalling, lean, wild fluctuations)

270 comp cam just one bump on yours ,,right now on stock tune i run around low low 12,s on a/f at peak hp on two diff dynos,and i have a sct tuner ,,but i am going to call roe just to see what they got ,,;)

Ironhead said:
270 comp cam just one bump on yours ,,right now on stock tune i run around low low 12,s on a/f at peak hp on two diff dynos,and i have a sct tuner ,,but i am going to call roe just to see what they got ,,;)

Different application on mine. Anyhow, what I was trying to explain is that tuning for Cam is not done necessarily with a Programmer or VEC. You can adjust your A/F ratio and timing (and possibly raise your idle) but idle adjustment is another animal. A more aggressive cam will have less vacuum at idle and possibly too at lighter loads (less than full throttle). So that is one area you may need to correct for and there are some Cam tuners out there, even for our truck.

So when you call Sean/Torre have them tell you what they can do for 1) idle tuning, and 2) timing and fuel control for your upgrades.

Open loop (preset values/inputs) programming can be difficult as many on here have found out.

Ironhead said:

James a stock tune is as safe as you can get................... you didn't increase the Compression ratio did you? why would you need race gas?

put the stock tune in it, take it to fastlande and have it dyno tuned.

Heads are done and in the mail. You should have them by Thursday! :rock:
i2.JPG
Look at your monster dual springs now!

i1.JPG

Ended up milling the bottom due to the small damage from previous owner (piston breaking apart?) a little bit so your compression will be slightly higher than stock. Steve took good care of it.

Bone said:
Heads are done and in the mail. You should have them by Thursday! :rock:
View attachment 32309
Look at your monster dual springs now!

View attachment 32308

Ended up milling the bottom due to the small damage from previous owner (piston breaking apart?) a little bit so your compression will be slightly higher than stock. Steve took good care of it.

OOPS........:eek:

eddie102870 said:
gonna be bad, cant wait to see what she lays down.

i cannot wait either this is more than likely the closest guy on this forum with the same set up i'm going with... my cam is a hair diffrent but it's based off the 270..... other than that our set ups are pretty much the same other than my baby will be on the bottle!:rock: :rock: :rock: I WANT TO HEAR THIS MOTHER!

hey bone do you know how much he took off his heads?...... mine have been shaved down twice... and i'm just being nosey lol and want to know how much they took off his heads to lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back