New NA ET Record at Famoso 5-13-11

Trainman

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good night of racing , temps cooled down , DA was OK. Starting line a little iffy, my 60' times on my first three passes were not so good. Last pass of the night was a new ET record and high speed for Famoso drag strip. First pass: DA was 2073', 60' =1.824, 1/8 th 7.876 @89.45, 1/4 mile 12.195 @114.30. (previous high speed at Famoso was 114.60). 2nd pass: DA was1975, 60'=1.809, 1/8th 7.830 @ 89.78, 1/4 mile 12.136 @ 114.71 mph. 3rd pass: DA was 1868', 60'= 1.797, 1/8th 7.826 @ 90.05, 1/4 mile 12.117 @ 115.21 mph. On that third pass, after doing a 5 second burnout, I did a dry hop to lock up the rear end and a few people said I pulled the front wheels, John from M&H confirmed that. I had the rear shocks a little too soft and John said the truck squatted hard on launch @ 4000 rpm , slight bog then when the truck rear raised up the tires broke loose. I turned the QA1 shocks in the rear up 2 clicks. Final pass of the night (4th Pass) the DA was 1785', 60'= 1.730, 1/8th mile 7.687 @ 90.15 and the 1/4 mile a new NA record 11.971 @ 115.31.:rock::rock: I won all 4 races that night , none too exciting except the second race was against a 2002 Trans Am, he turned 13.469@ 104.07, so I killed him by about 15 car lengths (my reaction time was .065 to his .199) All in all a good night. No SRTBrad, so no video, sorry. Oh, I almost forgot....the NEW JTS Venom Shifter was awesome! It performed flawlessly.....Thanks Tony!

Guys this is a normally aspirated truck...

Anything in the 11's is just crazy quick.

Very, very strong.

Thanks Roy...what are you doing up so early...is it like 5:30 in the morning there? Just as a side note, there was a Ford Lightning there and I challenged him. His friends had seen me run the 12.11 and warned him to back down. He said the engine was new, with boltons, but close to stock , so he chickened out. Saw a new Mustang 5.0 that looked pure stock on street tires run 12.99 @ 112+.

A fantastic run, and I think a good representation of what these trucks can run when set up (and driven) correctly. By comparison, it still baffles me as to why the forced induction applications; especially those well above the 600rwhp mark, struggle to produce stellar track times.

A fantastic run, and I think a good representation of what these trucks can run when set up (and driven) correctly. By comparison, it still baffles me as to why the forced induction applications; especially those well above the 600rwhp mark, struggle to produce stellar track times.
Great Runs.

I can tell you that my local track has next to no track prep on test and tune nights. I will have to go on a day when there is racing with the test and tune if I want to get better 60' times.

Last edited:

60' times are problematic for forced induction machines...and many of us have moved to 4:56 gears to enhance daily in-traffic driving...

Its always a trade off. When I had 4:10 rear end with most of my current mods I was in the 11.70's...but getting off the line was incredibly hard. First gear would just blow the tires off if I dropped the clutch a 4k as Trainman indicated he did. So the fine line between bogging and blowing the tires away was a hard point to find.

Additionally, the power comes on so strong that even with the gearing I currently have...second gear can blow the tires off if I don't feather the throttle, and if I kick it hard all through third at about 5000 rpm the tires go away (no fun at speed!!!)

Its all about matching the power to the tires, suspension and gearing...few of us have taken the time to master the matrix...

And since I have a mid-elevens daily driver...spending the time to make the truck a maximum performer rather than a garage queen that goes to shows and not the track is just not what I want to do!

I think that the people who are looking for great performance on the track are wise to pursue the N/A approach...for a lot of reasons...but I love my Roe!

Great times, sounds like you had a fun nite. Now put the real slicks on it and impress us with some 11.6's.:rock::rock:

Nice runs, sounds like the track at Famoso would be a nice one to go to someday.

Great times indeed, glaed to hear you liking the QA1's.... I leave mine on 1 click for the track but never have anyone experienced to tell me if its bottoming out or not...seems fine to me though

As Prof said the FI trucks have a hard time launching...with street tires my truck would start spinning when I hit 2nd gear.......and Trainman has some bolt ons but his main mod is weight loss...I think he dropped about 800-1000 LBs....every 100 LBs is = to about 10HP...

Way to go Trainman!!! That is a killer run!!:rock::rock:

As Prof said the FI trucks have a hard time launching...with street tires my truck would start spinning when I hit 2nd gear.......and Trainman has some bolt ons but his main mod is weight loss...I think he dropped about 800-1000 LBs....every 100 LBs is = to about 10HP...

Way to go Trainman!!! That is a killer run!!:rock::rock:

The weight loss is at 710 lbs. When I started full street weight with 1/4 tank was 5000 lbs. Now weight on race day is 4290 lbs. The main savings (although it all adds up) are my custom made race doors. It takes me and a buddy about 12 minutes to change both doors. That saves close to 200 lbs. I think my street weight is around 4800-4850 lbs.

that is phenominal for a NA engine miving even his weighted down heavy machine dowm the track in the 11's. congrats man. i think alot of the great times trainman comes up with is definatly due to his driving skills, practice makes perfect and he has been at it a long time

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back