Non-Stocker Camshaft?

mmmmtorque said:
I'm running Comp Cams part #111-000-10 VIP3 2003UP Viper/Truck Special Roller

Gross lift Intake .528 Exhaust .536
Duration Intake 218 Exhaust 224
Lobe lift .330 and .335 with seperation of 114

Sounds much better than stock and gained around 25rwhp. :D

sweet. did you need to do anything diffrent or was this a direct replacement? the few times mopar does post number you can bet that that is the low side of the curve.
that 25rwhp is good. :)

Yes please inform us some more details on this cam, what rocker ratio? stock? valve springs? and clearancing needed for valve to piston?

mmmmtorque said:
I'm running Comp Cams part #111-000-10 VIP3 2003UP Viper/Truck Special Roller

Gross lift Intake .528 Exhaust .536
Duration Intake 218 Exhaust 224
Lobe lift .330 and .335 with seperation of 114

Sounds much better than stock and gained around 25rwhp. :D

The lift figures you quoted are with a 1.6 rocker ratio (ie GEN II ) We have a 1.73 rocker ratio stock on the GEN III which gives a gross lift of Int .571" and Ex .579". You have a "bigger" cam than you think.

ViperTruck2933 said:
Hehe, I know the feeling.

You can call up Comp Cams directly and order it. ;)
Cool, thanks mang!

FSTJACK said:
The lift figures you quoted are with a 1.6 rocker ratio (ie GEN II ) We have a 1.73 rocker ratio stock on the GEN III which gives a gross lift of Int .571" and Ex .579". You have a "bigger" cam than you think.
Jack, is bigger better or not in our case?

RedRamRules said:
Jack, is bigger better or not in our case?
It depends on how much bigger you get with the cam. If you get too big you will need new rocker gear, springs, pushrods, head porting, etc.. If you just go a little bigger than OEM you will still be fine with the OEM gear.

I believe with the Comp Coupe grind or the Comp Cams Viper Truck grind that Mmmmtorque has you can still run the OEM gear. :)

Silverback said:
We're men. Bigger is always better.:D :p

More boost, more HP, = more fun.

Bigger is better up to a point but the camshaft and valve train has to be matched to your combination.

That Comp Cam is probably as "BIG" as you want to go without doing a lot of other things. They have tightned the lobe center so it wil make more power at higher RPM's. The stock cam has a 117 degree lobe center on the exhaust, so they can get more bottom end out of it.

Camshafts are like women, there is a right one for every application but what works for me may not work well for you. I personally like the one's with the BIG bumps. :D

FSTJACK said:
More boost, more HP, = more fun.

Bigger is better up to a point but the camshaft and valve train has to be matched to your combination.

That Comp Cam is probably as "BIG" as you want to go without doing a lot of other things. They have tightned the lobe center so it wil make more power at higher RPM's. The stock cam has a 117 degree lobe center on the exhaust, so they can get more bottom end out of it.

Camshafts are like women, there is a right one for every application but what works for me may not work well for you. I personally like the one's with the BIG bumps. :D

Damn, just can't have any fun anylonger.;) :p :D

Jack is correct. The majority of us drive our trucks on the street and that means we need to reach a compromise. Look at the funny car that Jack crews on. That beast idials (excuse me but I'm drunk and having one hell of a time spelling and typing) in the 2200 to 2400 range. If we attempted to run a cam like that on the street, wifey would be able to beat us from stop light to stop light with her VW.

And Jack is also right that "BIG BUMPS" are the best.

Thank you to our beloved experts in the field! I think I will go with the biggest cam (Comp Cam) and follow suit with corresponding components. I am hopeful that will be enough to bring N/A HP numbers to at least 600.

dragon said:
sweet. did you need to do anything diffrent or was this a direct replacement? the few times mopar does post number you can bet that that is the low side of the curve.
that 25rwhp is good. :)

Its a direct replacement with the OEM valve train.

Started hp gains at 3700 rpm....have pre/post dyno..

camdyno.jpg

mopower1958 said:
The first dyno was in May, second pull was in July, so it might have done more or was the ambient air temp the same? Was there any valve to piston clearance issues?

The weather was hotter in July (96 degrees and a DA of 3000)....Although, these are SAE corrected numbers performed on the same dyno and should correct for the difference in conditions.

There have been no issues with valve, piston clearances or spring pinch.

RedRamRules said:
Thank you to our beloved experts in the field! I think I will go with the biggest cam (Comp Cam) and follow suit with corresponding components. I am hopeful that will be enough to bring N/A HP numbers to at least 600.
Group buy of the cam and components?:D

Anyhow know where the best buy on the cam and components is at?
Did you buy the cam separately or from the same seller/dealer?

Anyone have idle issues with a new cam?

Bone said:
Anyhow know where the best buy on the cam and components is at?
Did you buy the cam separately or from the same seller/dealer?

Anyone have idle issues with a new cam?

You need: oil, oil filter, antifreeze (can drain/strain and keep) and a complete gasket kit. Its also an option to replace the lifters but you have to pull the heads.

Not aware of anyone that sells the Comp Cam that I have but I am sure it can be sourced from Jegs, Summit or from Comp Cams for around $600.

Gasket kit costs about $265.

I have the occasional rough loping idle in cold weather on a cold start but goes away quickly. At idle the whole truck will get a little "shimmy" to it, but it never dies.

It sounds mean as hell and the Viper Tech at the local dealer (rumor it is Bam Bam) my truck is the best sounding V10 he has ever heard.

Between the HP gains and the incredible sound, it was worth it to me.

BTW, 1Fast400 hooked me up with this cam for free.

Thanks, I found the Comp Cams description/catalog at:
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs/LC2007/2007LobeCatalog.pdf
page 6 (18 adobe)

Summit at:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=cca-111-000-10&view=1&N=700+115
CCA-111-000-10 $556.69

I did a new cam and heads for my hemi this summer, so it should be somewhat similar install for the SRT.

Where did you get the gasket kit?

Does Boomer or any of the vendors have the cam before I get it at Summit? However, Summit is up the street from me too.

Bone said:
Thanks, I found the Comp Cams description/catalog at:
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Catalogs/LC2007/2007LobeCatalog.pdf
page 6 (18 adobe)

Summit at:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=cca-111-000-10&view=1&N=700+115
CCA-111-000-10 $556.69

I did a new cam and heads for my hemi this summer, so it should be somewhat similar install for the SRT.

Where did you get the gasket kit?

Does Boomer or any of the vendors have the cam before I get it at Summit? However, Summit is up the street from me too.
Several of the vendors here can get OEM gasket sets. Try Dragon, JMBJustin or Boomer. ;)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back