Non-Stocker Camshaft?

Silverback said:
A good set of heads should add power through out the entire RPM range.
With ported heads you will lose a fraction of bottom end power and gain it back on the top end...

HaulinAsp said:
With ported heads you will lose a fraction of bottom end power and gain it back on the top end...

Possible. Low end response and power is all dependent on volocity. If you open up the intakes to large you loose that volocity and that affects throttle response. Same with the cam. While big lumpy cams sound nice, they are responsible for loss of the low end on an engine. They are a great example where you can have more HP on a dyno, but loose the race in a street race. I know, I've been there, done that.

Not debating you, just hoping to clarify for others.

Silverback said:
Possible. Low end response and power is all dependent on volocity. If you open up the intakes to large you loose that volocity and that affects throttle response. Same with the cam. While big lumpy cams sound nice, they are responsible for loss of the low end on an engine. They are a great example where you can have more HP on a dyno, but loose the race in a street race. I know, I've been there, done that.

Not debating you, just hoping to clarify for others.
Been proven multiple times over, that by just merely swapping on a ported head bottom end power drops off some with gains at the upper rpms, but then obviously there are ways we can manipulate that problem to get back what was lost.... chemical enhancements being one of them.....(i.e.- nitrous shot off the line)

Just a bit of info, as long as these viper engines have been out , why doesnt someone call a reputable tuner such as DC or Heffner or Underground and ask what is the best way to go?

Its like a small block chevy, you dont go and just try stuff, you call a guy thats been doing it for over a number a years and thats all he has done?

ViperTruck2933 said:
I have discussed this subject with my builder. You do not have to replace the rockers when installing the Mopar comp coupe cam, or either of the 2 predesigned cams that Comp Cams sells for Gen III Viper engines. You CAN replace them if you wish and might see a 5-10 rwhp gain.
QUOTE]
I thought it was risky to increase the lift on used springs, that they could break?
Our springs don't have a problem with the increased lift as much as .056" or up to .600" in the case of the MP cam, as far as binding or breaking?
Do I understand you correctly in saying replacing to a reduced rocker ratio would yield an increase in hp?
MMMMtorque, do you have stock (1.73) rockers on the 270 Comp Cam? That gives a .573" exhaust lift.
Are these (3) cams all gross lift rated using the viper rocker ratio of 1.6?
Do we need a new thread for this?

ViperTruck2933 said:
I have a set of T&D Roller 1.7s in my basement waiting to go on.
Are you using valve spacers?
Not needed?

From everything I have been told, the stock springs CAN be used with the 3 cams we're discussing. I wouldn't do it, and my builder recommends against it. However the stock lifters and rockers should be fine with either of those 3 cams.

My springs, retainers, etc..will be replaced when my heads are ported.

And I have Boomers Valve cover spacers on order. They ARE needed with the T&D roller rockers.

ViperTruck2933 said:
And I have Boomers Valve cover spacers on order. They ARE needed with the T&D roller rockers.
How much were Boomer's? I'd ask him but you know the story.

I think around $475. I discussed it with him prior to his accident and I must have PM'd him to go ahead and send them to me the day of his accident. I'm still waiting for them right now.

I believe he only had the one set cut and on the shelf.:dontknow:

West Coast Vipers also carries them for about the same price.;)

ViperTruck2933 said:
I think around $475. I discussed it with him prior to his accident and I must have PM'd him to go ahead and send them to me the day of his accident. I'm still waiting for them right now.

I believe he only had the one set cut and on the shelf.:dontknow:

West Coast Vipers also carries them for about the same price.;)

That's where I saw them also (WCV).

You could always run Gen 2 VC's with the baffles removed, instead of using spacers w/Gen 3 covers (although I like the gen 3 covers better).
Justin

ViperTruck2933 said:
From everything I have been told, the stock springs CAN be used with the 3 cams we're discussing. I wouldn't do it, and my builder recommends against it. However the stock lifters and rockers should be fine with either of those 3 cams.

My springs, retainers, etc..will be replaced when my heads are ported.

Anytime you use used springs with a new cam that has more lift, you run the risk of the springs breaking.

Its good advise. I'll wait till I can do it right and work the heads. A 600hp, loping, all aluminum V10, thats worth waiting for.

In regard to Strikers, I would only buy these if running a turbo or SC with a lot of boost. Otherwise, when looking at a cost vs results benefit, I think you'd be better off spending the money elsewhere.

1Fast400 said:
In regard to Strikers, I would only buy these if running a turbo or SC with a lot of boost. Otherwise, when looking at a cost vs results benefit, I think you'd be better off spending the money elsewhere.

I have not seen the Strikers or for that matter even seen their flow numbers vs stockers, but I'm curious why you say that. Can you elaborate?

Silverback said:
I have not seen the Strikers or for that matter even seen their flow numbers vs stockers, but I'm curious why you say that. Can you elaborate?

Believe it would be a $ vs HP gain comparison. $8500-$9000 for a set of Strikers and cam installed/tuned for a 100hp +- gain. You can approach a S/C for that kind of $ and gain almost twice as much HP.

mmmmtorque said:
It sounds mean as hell and the Viper Tech at the local dealer (rumor it is Bam Bam) my truck is the best sounding V10 he has ever heard.

So you have found Bam Bam????

If so it is a great find. He worked very hard on development of the Centerforce, Viper slave and master cyl...fix for the RC. He is a super Viper Tech, with racing in his blood and very understanding of the way we mod and drive these trucks...

Please confirm for us if you can...many would drive hundreds of miles to have him wrench on a truck...

I disagree about the strikers....Need4Speed has very similar build specs to mine and he has P&P'd heads ($3500) and I have the Strikers and a Cam and Im making alot more rwhp (180) and Im only pushing 3 more lbs of boost. So 3 lbs of boost and the strikers=180 more rwhp......

Blakewilder said:
I disagree about the strikers....Need4Speed has very similar build specs to mine and he has P&P'd heads ($3500) and I have the Strikers and a Cam and Im making alot more rwhp (180) and Im only pushing 3 more lbs of boost. So 3 lbs of boost and the strikers=180 more rwhp......
I think the issue was concerning a N/A motor Blake. I think what he is saying is that anyone spending over 6K for heads on a N/A would be better served spending the money on a blower instead (hp bang for the buck).

I don't think there's any question that they produce awesome numbers on blown motors.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back