Paxton, headers and Heat:

Kevan said:
I guess I should ammend that:
-PROVIDE MORE HP? Probably not.
-ALLOW FOR MORE HP PRODUCTION WITH LESS CHANCE OF ENGINE FAILURE/DAMAGE VERSUS BONE STOCK? Yes.

Like I said, we need to find a *real* bone stock engine with a Paxton on it.
Dave's kicks ass, but it's not a good example for this debate.

Dave's is fine....again....his motor makes no more power than mine did....:D

Kevan said:
I guess I should ammend that:
-PROVIDE MORE HP? Probably not.
-ALLOW FOR MORE HP PRODUCTION WITH LESS CHANCE OF ENGINE FAILURE/DAMAGE VERSUS BONE STOCK? Yes.

Like I said, we need to find a *real* bone stock engine with a Paxton on it.
Dave's kicks ass, but it's not a good example for this debate.
Dave's actually should be putting out less than Nowwhats truck (if Mike's theory is correct) because DaveT is running a stock throttle body and Mike is running the RSI. So Dave's should have 3 less rwhp than Mikes. :D

Kevan said:
So, in summary (thus far):

N/A engine:
- Stock exhaust manifolds= OK.
- Headers = Good HP gains over stock manifolds.

Forced Induction:
- Stock exhaust manifolds= OK under 700 FWHP.
- Headers= Good gains show up after the 700 FWHP mark.

N20:
- Stock exhaust manifolds= OK.
- Headers= Good HP gains over stock exhaust manifolds.

Turbo:
- Stock exhaust manifolds= No.
- Headers= REQUIRED.

How's that sound?

Lets make this a sticky. :dontknow:

There are several Paxton builds that may be viable for comparison:

EBENZ
SilentD
Silversrt

Patricks truck was also using the stock internals, not sure where it is now :dontknow:

Anyone else?

ViperTruck2933 said:
So did you put down over 700 corrected rwhp on stock motor?
Stock TB or the RSI?

yes....over 700

throttle body...??...serious...???

keep in mind my auto is eating at least 3-4% more than the 6 speed with a 1 piece driveshaft....that means Dave's motor would have to be making 20-28 rwhp more than me just to be even...

Last edited:
RedRamRules said:
There are several Paxton builds that may be viable for comparison:

EBENZ
SilentD
Silversrt

Patricks truck was also using the stock internals, not sure where it is now :dontknow:

Anyone else?

Patricks was almost 690rwhp...don't remember if it had headers....and it doesn't matter...if it did I have made my point if it didn't I have still made my point.....

Nowwhat said:
Patricks was almost 690rwhp...don't remember if it had headers....and it doesn't matter...if it did I have made my point if it didn't I have still made my point.....
Aww, c'mon Mike.....can't we beat this horse a little more..:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ViperTruck2933 said:
Aww, c'mon Mike.....can't we beat this horse a little more..:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

my vette has headers....:D ...oh and a cam and heads and ported intake....you know things that make headers work.....:D :D :D

eddie102870 said:
i dont think 400 ran serpentine belt either.

He ran a seven ribbed one like all the rest of us with Roe TMTS...

His engine about 90% done in August I think:

1fast400install.jpg

Nowwhat said:
the Roe doesn't make enough power to worry about it one way or the other...:D

Well then I think im leaving stock manifolds. Maybe add a catback... MAYBE:confused:

If someone wants to donate (to this discussion) a set of nice long tubes that are CARB (California) legal, I'll gladly do a dyno comparison at DC in LA or A&G in Temecula and we can settle this matter once and for all..............

Django

Silent D said:
If someone wants to donate (to this discussion) a set of nice long tubes that are CARB (California) legal, I'll gladly do a dyno comparison at DC in LA or A&G in Temecula and we can settle this matter once and for all..............

Django

CARB and Longtube is like 1fast and honesty or Roktman and Salads or John H and Value or the NFFF and Fun or Django and monosyllabic.....:D

Silent D said:

Django
Excellent idea. :rock:

Anyone have friends at Belanger??:dontknow:

:D

When I had my original engine dynoed with the Paxton at Woodhouse shortly after I got the truck it was around 550 rwhp (Mustang dyno). After the motor blew we got an '03 Viper motor and put everything back on...plus the upgraded pistons. We then redynoed the truck and it put out around 535 rwhp.

Basically, the original motor and the "new" motor with the upgraded pistons were within 3% of eachother. I'll double check the numbers but those are pretty close. So, my current motor (with upgraded pistons) dynoed less at Woodhouses' tuners place then the original motor minus the upgraded pistons on the same dyno at the same tuners place last year.

I'll double check the numbers tonight.

I'll at least set the record straight on why I'm doing the things I'm doing.

The first motor failure was from a destroyed oil pump. From talking with everyone within chrysler and certain others, this is a potential issue with these motors. There are people on the alley that lost stock motors to the exact same issue. At the time of the oil pump failure I had already made over 40 1/4 mile passes on the truck. The majority of these passes were in the low 11 second area. This was with the new rear and 10.5" slicks. I had indy go through the motor to make sure everything was ok. We had twisted the block, the main caps wouldn't budge. With the massive amount of tq made at low rpms and being able to hook it up, the block became the weak point for me. Had I made 10-20 runs, it might not have been an issue.

We send the oil pump to be cryo'd. The idiot did it wrong and made it so fragile, that I made it all of 400 miles driving it on the street. I had the cruise set driving down the interstate and oil went to 0. I just happen to be 2 miles from UG. I had the truck towed to their place. After talking with kevin, I simply decided to throw a paxton, with low boost. UG doesn't like using roe products. With that, I simply did whatever they wanted to do. At this point, I simply want the truck running and in one piece. I have zero desire to keep the truck, but I want it to be done right. My motor is coming back next week. I had new pistons put in, everything was fine, but they wanted new pistons.

I personally believe that SC to SC, the roe is the best for the track, assuming you did more mods to keep the block from twisting. I also believe it is best for a stock truck running low boost, simply for a fun factor. Brady is right in one factor, the more boost you run, by making the belt tighter, you will eventually pop the end of the crank. Once you have the balancer on the crank and then hang a pulley (the ATI only goes halfway on the crank), you have a LOT of leverage on the end of the crank. This is a piss poor design for maximizing power. It is a weak link any of these builds.

As far as Roe, I will never do business with them again. I really liked Sean as a person, however I disagree with the way they run their business. DC Performance has gone to some great lengths to help out customers if they ever had any issues. I spent over 45k bucks at Roe to be a test pig for this SC'er. Upon my second blow up, to which I called them on the side of the road, they never once returned a phone call or email. I looked at Sean and Dave as friends. I even bought dave a 354 hemi for his hotrod as a gift, because he's a hardcore car guy that I thought was cool. I had already said I was taking the truck to UG, simply due to logistic issues. Not once did I get a call to see how things were going, if things were ok and what not. Given that I prepaid a lot of things to help out with their cash flow situation when things were at their worse there, I at least expected the respect of a return phone call. I can say that all of my dealings with UG at this point have been flawless. I can't wait to work with them in the future on other projects.

Next week I close a deal on purchasing a drag strip. I'll make a post about potential dates for you guys to get in free and test all you want. Take it for what it's worth.

Mike

1Fast400 said:
As far as Roe, I will never do business with them again. I really liked Sean as a person, however I disagree with the way they run their business.

Damn it, I hate agree'ing with you, but I got the same shafting from them.

No mike, I did not have headers by the way :D :D

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back